Thread: First Jeep, First Break Down!

First Jeep, First Break Down!

Coming home on the 202 San Tan today and Check Gauges/Check Engine light came on, then started getting liquid spray on the windshield. Watched the temp gauge quickly rise into the red. Immediately pulled off and shut it down, also noticed the power steering went out as well.

The serpentine belt was shredded, caused by the idler pulley freezing up and breaking off. I sat there for about 30 minutes and let it cool off, then started it up and drove it about 300 yards off the freeway to a parking lot. Got someone to take me to Autozone and got the pulley and belt, fixed it and got home. Not too bad, could have been 156 degrees outside....

Questions:
    Now, when I turn on the AC, I get a loud screeching sound, sounds like it is the belt. It gets better when I tightened the tension, but how tight should I have it?
    The Autozone guy said this pulley is a normal Jeep problem and when I seen the made in China bearing in the replacement, cannot help to think this problem will happen again and again! Suggestions on better quality pulleys?

ALSO, after the fix, on my way home, the head lights dimmed and flickered as I got off the freeway! did some searches on flickering Jeep head lights and quickly narrowed it down to the light switch as it was hot to the touch. Will get a replacement switch tomorrow.

Not by no means getting discouraged and I know this will probably not be the last - I got rather use to this fix, repair, replace mode with my vette and I just about fixed, repaired and replaced ever part on it in the last 6 years. But then I got board with it as everything was done.... now I got a new thang to spent my money on.

I'm on my third idler pulley in the last two years as they start to squeal under torque. Napa usually has a better brand than the zone. Gates and Goodyear both make good ones. The best belt I have found is the Goodyear Gatorback but no one carries it locally.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=135604  6401 $310 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Re: First Jeep, First Break Down!

What aribelin said. Go buy a good quality Dayco or Goodyear belt and keep the VatoZone belt in your tool bag as a spare.

Most serpentine belt systems that don't have an auto tensioner are waay under tensioned. Go buy a KRIKIT2 serpentine belt tension gauge. Here is a really lame Dayco vid that explains it pretty well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z11wfc-0-hY
    "Don't let anybody tell you that it's corporations and businesses that create jobs." - Hillary Clinton

ASKHOLE - Someone who wastes other people's time by posting questions on discussion forums when the answer is only a Google search away - or answered many times previously.

Don't be an Askhole

I am sold on OEM, far as I know mine is still original(knock on wood!). Purchased my XJ with 60k on it years back, it now has 208k. And x3 on the gator backs.

You don't need a Plan "B", if Jesus is plan "A".
    ..unknown

What fluid was hitting your windshield? Coolant? Shouldn't that go into your overflow and not leak?

I too use the Napa pulley. Only replaced once about 6 years ago. Had it seize and instead of the belt breaking it bent the rods on all the rest of the pulleys when the belt wrapped up.
    I had problems with the Gatorade belts every since as I'm sure one or more of those pulleys may be just a smidgen causing the grooves on the gator belt to jump the lips on them. Normal belts have worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by zjfabn View Post
    What fluid was hitting your windshield? Coolant? Shouldn't that go into your overflow and not leak?
    Yes, it was coolant, appeared to be blowing out from the cap or the overflow as the overflow was full after this happen. Temp just pegged the red on the gauge when I shut it off.

i just replaced my rad cap and my thermostat due to the same problem! runs at about 205 degrees but today the dang thing wont start!
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

Wow you had more issues in one trip than I think I have had in 50k jeep miles. Glad to here you got it fixed up.

blatant jokessubliminal sarcasmsexual innuendo

When it comes to commonly available serp belts, Gates is the way to go...

Sent from the land of awesome
    Actually, you have to say you have a "1989 Moore Chrysler Jeep Wrangler YJ". Also, I like my Mexican food more spicer than most people but sometimes it either permanent lube or greasable's me straight to the toilet depending on desired strength or serviceability. My favorite restaurant is in the 1310 area near the airport on Washington, but sometimes the 1330 or 1350 area works depending on the response I get when I stop tcase the joint and axle somebody for directions.

I fixed the squealing from the compressor by tightening the belt and I used some belt conditioner. I will order a better belt as mentioned and use the current one as backup. Also going to replace the adjustable pulley as preventive AND carry an extra of each. Also replaced the headlight switch, which was by far the easiest dash switch I have ever changed on any auto! I am really liking the easy access on this Jeep in regards to repairs! Really makes a difference on the attitude while doing the repair haha

Kinda funny, I broke down in this exact same spot on the San Tan 202 about two years ago...At least with the Jeep, I was able to get it off the freeway AND fix it on site; the F150 had to be towed...

Thanks for the input!

Thread Information