Thread: Flat tow my tj with a Nissan frontier.

Flat tow my tj with a Nissan frontier.

Is anyone flat towing a heavy tj with a smaller or midsized truck? If so what is your setup... Any additional break systems to use the jeeps breaks? Why have I read that you can't backup when flat towing? Folks with bad trailer skills or is there a real reason? Only thing I can think of is that the jeeps front wheels will create some intetesting steering dynamics.

Re: Flat tow my tj with a Nissan frontier.

Unless it is very short distance and you can be uber careful, DON'T DO IT
    Towing with lighter vehicle is accident waiting to happen, no matter how good of a driver you are... it is not how you drive, there will always be an idiot that will turn in front of you or think that the 2-3 (should be 3-8) vehicle safety buffer zone is great to cut in and slam on brakes to make left turn
    I have towed my CJ w/ ZJ (scary, but doable) , XJ (white knuckle scary), TJ (just plain stupid)
    Why I have a suburban
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

I have towed my tj several times with a 2000 tacoma without any problems. And no never never back it up the front tires of the jeep will turn the wrong way and it will cause all sorts of problems for you. I use a harbor freight 5000lbs tow kit and it works great. You just need to take a little extra time to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by brycealbr View Post
    I have towed my tj several times with a 2000 tacoma without any problems. And no never never back it up the front tires of the jeep will turn the wrong way and it will cause all sorts of problems for you. I use a harbor freight 5000lbs tow kit and it works great. You just need to take a little extra time to stop.

You just need a LOT of extra time to stop and cannot control the idiots that are out there, 3500 (base curb weight, not including larger tires,cage, equipment, etc.) is pushing (and can easily go over) capacity (based on tongue weight / steering characteristics of TRAILER) .

I have towed (driven large trucks) for over 30 years, NEVER had a (towing) accident, but have had enough close calls / seen enough to know how that it really is not a good idea / tempting fate beyond reasonable boundaries. Would not pass "moose test" http://www.teknikensvarld.se/jeepmoosetest/ at 15 mph.
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

If you really think it's time to start towing your Jeep then it is time to trade the Nissan in on something more suited to the task. I had to sell my 350z because it was time to trailer the Jeep. I miss it a TON but I would not have tried towing my Jeep with it instead of getting the right vehicle.
    I'm sorry, what? I was ignoring you

you need a truck!
    man without a jeep

When flat towed, the caster of the wheels is what turns the wheels when you turn. When packing up the caster is the wrong way and therefore the wheels can turn the wrong direction. Picture a shopping cart.

One issue with flat towing is stopping. In a modern pickup truck, you have a proportioning valve that sense the load in the bed and will apply more brake to the rear. So when you have a loaded trailer with tongue weight you'll get more brake force in the back. In addition, with a regular trailer, the tongue weight also gives you more traction on the rear wheels, which resists the back from overtaking the front in an emergency. You have these two things against you when flat towing. First, you have no additional braking in the rear, which makes the front dive real bad. Secondly, the lack of tongue weight means the towed vehicle can easily spin you lighter truck around.

There are braking systems that you can buy. You'll frequently see them on fulltime RV rigs. They sense how hard you're applying the brakes (think inertia brake controller), and then activate a servo that pushes the brake pedal down. The entire unit usually bolts under the seat and has an arm attached to the brake pedal. They used to sell systems that physically tapped into your brake system but these have been pretty much extinct for years. They went away when vehicles started moving to "fancy" ABS systems and complicated the installation.

Personally I wouldn't flat tow a Jeep with a much lighter pickup truck unless perhaps I had a 500-700lb hunting quad in the back of the truck to put some weight over the back tires. Even fullsize trucks can have an issue stopping. Ironically my Navigator I had stopped my Jeep much much better than even my Dodge 1-ton dually....mainly due to the truck being so light in the back (compared to the SUV).

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

I flat towed my yj 33s 4.5inch lift and rack with a 2006 pathfinder with the 4.0l v6. Surprised it did so well plenty of power and no issues stoping. I was actually passing a few cars while going and coming and going to/from payson. One thing I ended up doing was shifting the gears manually cause the auto will be shifting up and down on ya so kept it in the gear so avoid it constantly to shift which creates quite a bit of heat. if going to tow alot I recommend a tranny cooler with a fan from b&m just to be safe, a cool tranny is a happy tranny. just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by pldamian View Post
    I flat towed my yj 33s 4.5inch lift and rack with a 2006 pathfinder with the 4.0l v6. Surprised it did so well plenty of power and no issues stoping. I was actually passing a few cars while going and coming and going to/from payson. One thing I ended up doing was shifting the gears manually cause the auto will be shifting up and down on ya so kept it in the gear so avoid it constantly to shift which creates quite a bit of heat. if going to tow alot I recommend a tranny cooler with a fan from b&m just to be safe, a cool tranny is a happy tranny. just my 2 cents.
    Just because a truck can pull a Jeep (or any vehicle), it does not in any way mean that it is safe... physics do not lie (Ming is spot on with description)

In my 45 adult years I have flat towed my jeeps and towed trailers on the bumper and 5th wheel and behind motorhomes all across North America. All setups can have problems stopping quickly but one of the biggest factor is the quality of the brakes in the tow vehicle. If your Nissan has old brakes you will get a lot of bang for your buck by doing a good brake job using high quality brake pads like an EBC yellow or green 7000 series pad.
    Most of and sometimes all of your braking power is supplied by the tow vehicle. Make the most of it.

Respectfully, towing behind a motorhome is not comparable to a pu. As Ming pointed out, it is not the quality of the brakes, it is the weight distribution... behind a motorhome/excursion/suburban, no problem... most any pu / lighter vehicle = problem

Has anyone used the ready brake systems on a towed tj?

Thread Information