Thread: Influence of sun exposure / UV on the JK Jeep Wrangler hardtop with freedom panels

Influence of sun exposure / UV on the JK Jeep Wrangler hardtop with freedom panels

Hello all, I am being kicked out of my garage and therefore my JKU will be exposed to much sun exposure. I am worried about the hardtop and associated freedom panels. Is the painted fiberglass surface of the hardtop prone to oxidation? My fiberglass / gel-coat boat hull was. How about the freedom panels elastomeric water seals, would I expect them to dry out, dry rot, and otherwise lose their sealing ability due to excessive sun expose? I've used a 303 Automotive Protectant on plastic surfaces to protect from the sun (much better than ArmorAll), has anybody tried this type of protectant on the hardtop exposed surfaces? Thanks for your consideration. Tim

Re: Influence of sun exposure / UV on the JK Jeep Wrangler hardtop with freedom panel

It's Arizona. Nothing is safe in the sun. Not just being ambiguous. Paint takes a beating out here, along with everything else.
    Mark c.

Re: Influence of sun exposure / UV on the JK Jeep Wrangler hardtop with freedom panel

We've had my wife's JK for about 2 years now and it's mostly been parked in the sun. I've not noticed any oxidation on the top (black) or any problems with the seals on the freedom panels. We have switched to a soft top this fall, but the hard top looks to be in perfect shape (other than a bit of desert pinstriping)

My Jeep has spent most of its life outside. If you have a buffer, the hard top can be waxed, and it will come out looking great, if you take your time. That should be enough protection for it, if you use a decent quality wax. I used to work a lot with detailing supply manufacturers, and the common comment is that Nu Finish is about as good a sealant or wax as there is out there, and that it is great for the price. So, it doesnít have to be the most expensive wax there is.

Thanks for your help. I’ll bet there is quite a lot of engineering development that went into that hard top. I need to look into that Nu Finish more. It’s got Zn cross-linked polymers in it so I can see how this product would be effective at managing the UV high energy radiation. Zn-oxide is very effective as a sun block because of electron excitement band-gap absorption. Thanks again.

Sad news: I had to sell my Jeep Liberty this last week. This Liberty probably saved me from serious injury in a crash back in 2010 (quite a story). My new Rubicon has big shoes to fill now. Thanks again

and the common comment is that Nu Finish is about as good a sealant or wax as there is out there,
    Now that's useful info. How long do you expect it to last? I want to protect both the Jeep hardtop, and a new fiberglass travel trailer I just bought.
    Carlos Alvarez
    2015 copper pearl JKU Rubicon
    KG7EQI

Blog Entries

I just got a bottle of Nu Finish on Amazon as an add on item for less than $7
    79 cj7, rebuilt 304, YJ family "cage" , wide track axles, Moser 1 pc. rear, lockrites F/R, TF999/D300 with custom floor shifter, twin sticked, 33x12.5x15 Falken Wild Peaks

Same here, $6.99. It's $10 at O'Reilly.
    Carlos Alvarez
    2015 copper pearl JKU Rubicon
    KG7EQI

They claim a year. As a word of caution, it goes on, but is not super easy to get off.

Thread Information