Thread: JL steering

JL steering

So, anyone considering purchasing a JL wrangler, do yourselves a favor and google search JL steering issues. Youíll spend more than a few minutes reading.

Mine showed up Sunday, coming down Sunset Point, on the I-17 at 75mph. White knuckle situation about sums it up.

It now sits over at Moore Jeep, without a resolution as of now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 5150TJ; 11-12-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Re: JL steering

Iíve been sitting here doing some research involving the potential track bar failure on some of the JLís. I knew about it but hadnít taken the time to look into it until now..

Mine apparently fits into the group of jeeps that are potentially affected. The recall letter arrived in the mail a week or two ago and hadnít found the time to get it into the dealership to get it inspected. Iím starting to wonder a bit here if mine had a failure or partial failure, by the way the vehicle was reacting.

If this is the case, not only did I dodge a bullet but Iím super pissed at FCA for the absolute lack of quality control . I had my wife and two of our best friends in the vehicle at the time. I donít want to jump the gun and assume but there is something very wrong with the Jeep. If it turns out itís not the track bar but something else with the steering, like a steering gear box failure, which is what I thought at the time it may be, still not good.

When I talked to the service advisor, after the tech had a chance to take it for a drive, they deemed it unsafe for the road. Hell, my modified TJ on Super Swamper Irokís handles like a dream compared to what I experienced. So needless to say, Iím gonna get to the bottom of it but if you have one of these JLís, get it inspected ASAP.

Hope for a quick resolution for you. Even if they warranty it from the factory I would look into aftermarket solutions for the track bar.

Here is a good bolt in example. Cheap insurance and you can bolt in at home. http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...-wrangler.html

Blog Entries

Wow... While I want one really bad, I am glad I didn't buy one yet... Lots of issues to be worked out.

Spoke to them this morning, claiming steering stabilizer is about seized up, canít move by hand...Not sure how that accounts for the 3-4 inches of play in the steering before it will react but will find out when I replace myself with a Rancho I just picked up, since the factory ones are apparently on backorder till mid December!

I went and took a look at the welds myself on the track bar. Not as bad as some Iíve seen online but appear to be slightly off seam but intact. They took pics and are sending them to FCA for the engineers to inspect, guess it takes 48 hours or so for them to get back to the dealer. In the meantime, theyíll take care of a few other electrical issues itís having.

Was it death wobble or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    He said the steering stabilizer seized up not allowing him to turn the wheel. That then created 3-4" of play in the steering.
    Eric - *2004 Wrangler TJ, Coilovers, 2 Speed Atlas, 37" Pitbull Rockers
    *'08 Silver Rubicon JKU 2.5" lift, 5.13's and 35's

JL steering

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    No, more like a 1960ís pickup with a worn out gear box, bad tie rod ends with uneven pavement, on a windy day. Very similar to what many others have described online.

Last edited by 5150TJ; 11-13-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5150TJ View Post
    No, more like a 1960’s pickup with a worn out gear box, bad tie rod ends with uneven pavement, on a windy day. Very similar to what many others have described online.

Wow. That sucks. Sou ds like something broke in the steering box.

Just bought one. Not the affected date range but electric steering sounds interesting
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

Thread Information