Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: JL 4 door real world info

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chandler/Tempe
    Posts
    4,850

    JL 4 door real world info

    I am close to trading in my JK althoughits totally reliable I hate some things about it. Trying to track down threads on real world info I can’t seem to find them so I’ll start a thread.

    What engine and trans do you have? What are the real world not phony stock mileage’s of your setup? Only interested in 4 door rubicon’s and 2.0 eco boost whatever plus diesel. Heard the 3.6 gets better mileage as well.

    Real world drive ability ? Heard it was way better than JK?

    Little worried about the quality issues popping up so I may wait. I really like the interior better and drove the 2.0 and was impressed with it same numbers as 3.6 plus turbo should make it good at altitude.

    Not seeing much “real world” info

    Tow rating the same as well. If it gets better mileage I may be interested and drive up 17 without redlining engine in 3rd

    Go!
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chandler/Tempe
    Posts
    4,850

    Re: JL 4 door real world info

    Crickets? Guess it’s not very good then
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Fountain Hills
    Posts
    245

    Re: JL 4 door real world info

    I have the JLUR with the 3.6. Sold my well built TJ and dont miss it even a little bit...even though the frame was welded better. lol I did want the 2.0 but glad I got the 3.6 with auto. The 2.0 comes with BSG and I really dont want that. Diesel sounds good but the price tag is high and I think they had some issues they were working out. dunno.

    I dont know anything about the JK so dont know how it stacks up but on the JL forums there are lots that say it blows it away. I just know I really like to drive mine anywhere. Off road without airing down the tires it ride better then my air'd down, long armed, TJ. Absolutely incredible.

    The bad is the frame. Check out the other thread about it. Some of the weld pic's are terrible. Mine isnt that bad but I have many holes in multiple areas on the frame. It probably meets the welding standards in the link I or someone provide on the other thread but hardly quality work. I'm bringing mine in tomorrow to have it inspected so we will see.

    It's a shame, I really REALLY like this vehicle. But I just cant recommend it unless you go to the dealership with a creeper and inspect underneath it, or bring a certified welder with you. Some guys are actually doing this before purchase and I wish I did.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chandler/Tempe
    Posts
    4,850

    Re: JL 4 door real world info

    Thanks. I will definitely Check the welds out
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Goodyear
    Posts
    1,158

    Re: JL 4 door real world info

    Check this out, the discussion has already been going for a while.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...93837-JL-gross

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chandler/Tempe
    Posts
    4,850

    Re: JL 4 door real world info

    I looked at it did not see anything specific about my questions and 2.0
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Fountain Hills
    Posts
    245

    Re: JL 4 door real world info

    Quote Originally Posted by jeepdude775 View Post
    I looked at it did not see anything specific about my questions and 2.0
    I can give you what I remember. The 2.0 gets you better low end torque than the 3.6. The 2.0 I think is a 1k upgrade but you need the auto with it so it's another 2k. The 2.0 also gets you BSG, which is a battery assist on take off. It's supposed to save you on gas and I recall being very peppy. Peak power is less then the 3.6 but not by much. Most reviews I hear are either you can't really tell the difference or you can with each type motor having different bennys with no clear winner. Thinking you need to drive one yourself and decide.

    The battery for the BSG is on the opposite side of the where the fuel tank goes. Looks about the same size too from pics. It has heating and cooling lines going to it, guessing to keep it within a certain range of temps. The motor weights 50 pounds more with the 2.0L. I dont know if that includes the big battery, guessing not and probably just the BSG part of the motor. There are supposed to be other bennys with BSG but I dont remember. I would go to the JL site or google it up. Doesnt look like anyone on this site has practical knowledge on it.

    BTW for 2019 the 3.6 motor comes with BSG as well. Hope I'm wrong here.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lake Havasu City
    Posts
    180

    Re: JL 4 door real world info

    issues with the 2.0 turbo.. it has huge battery that is water cooled UNDER the jeep hangs down next to the fuel tank. its a hybrid Ele assisted. they have had issues with 44v battery catching fire. they claim they fixed this issue with " Sock" to keep cooler/ isolate it. How well this works off road? the battery box is the same thin metal as the fuel tank skid. the fuel tank is polly so it will bend when the skid intrudes. That battery is not flexible so when that skid gets bent the battery will too. How will Mud effect this battery under the jeep and how the hell will anyone clean that? That battery is very expensive and where its at it will get broke, unless its a mall crawler then by all means enjoy ....


    the only reason it shows a few mpg more is the way they test it . In real life these 280hp 4 banger are more a gas hog under cover. I had a LNF2.0 DI/T with a factory tune that put it at near 300hp. lucky to get 20mpg in a car that is MUCH lighter, way more aerodynamic.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    7

    Re: JL 4 door real world info

    I've had a new JL for about 5 months now. Also sold my TJ, so no real world comparison to the JK. For me it is very big difference. I have the 3.6L auto, 4 door Rubicon. The gearbox and interior is probably the biggest improvements. There are many other little things. I am not a big fan of too much electronics, but so far all works well. The ESS take getting used to, but works fine. The Electronic Swaybar had did not connect the first time I tried it, but since it has been flawless. I've run Backway to Crown King stock and it did great on that.

    Since then I've done some upgrades: 3.5" Metal Cloak with 37s. Runs great as a daily driver, although 8th gear is marginal. Picture below:

    Name:  IMG_7371.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  161.1 KB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chandler/Tempe
    Posts
    4,850

    Re: JL 4 door real world info

    Ok good stuff yeah that all sounds like a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
    issues with the 2.0 turbo.. it has huge battery that is water cooled UNDER the jeep hangs down next to the fuel tank. its a hybrid Ele assisted. they have had issues with 44v battery catching fire. they claim they fixed this issue with " Sock" to keep cooler/ isolate it. How well this works off road? the battery box is the same thin metal as the fuel tank skid. the fuel tank is polly so it will bend when the skid intrudes. That battery is not flexible so when that skid gets bent the battery will too. How will Mud effect this battery under the jeep and how the hell will anyone clean that? That battery is very expensive and where its at it will get broke, unless its a mall crawler then by all means enjoy ....


    the only reason it shows a few mpg more is the way they test it . In real life these 280hp 4 banger are more a gas hog under cover. I had a LNF2.0 DI/T with a factory tune that put it at near 300hp. lucky to get 20mpg in a car that is MUCH lighter, way more aerodynamic.
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chandler/Tempe
    Posts
    4,850

    Re: JL 4 door real world info

    I drove it’s its very nice and works good but sounds like the battery is an issue also the alternator is a motor that does the assist. Big $$ I’m sure when it dumps
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    I can give you what I remember. The 2.0 gets you better low end torque than the 3.6. The 2.0 I think is a 1k upgrade but you need the auto with it so it's another 2k. The 2.0 also gets you BSG, which is a battery assist on take off. It's supposed to save you on gas and I recall being very peppy. Peak power is less then the 3.6 but not by much. Most reviews I hear are either you can't really tell the difference or you can with each type motor having different bennys with no clear winner. Thinking you need to drive one yourself and decide.

    The battery for the BSG is on the opposite side of the where the fuel tank goes. Looks about the same size too from pics. It has heating and cooling lines going to it, guessing to keep it within a certain range of temps. The motor weights 50 pounds more with the 2.0L. I dont know if that includes the big battery, guessing not and probably just the BSG part of the motor. There are supposed to be other bennys with BSG but I dont remember. I would go to the JL site or google it up. Doesnt look like anyone on this site has practical knowledge on it.

    BTW for 2019 the 3.6 motor comes with BSG as well. Hope I'm wrong here.
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-11-2017, 06:01 PM
  2. Wanted: real world feedback on Currie anti rock on a TJ
    By jeepdude775 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-13-2015, 10:12 AM
  3. 2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler JK 2 Door & 4 Door Smitty Bilt XRC Fender Flare Set of 4 $249
    By OTG in forum Products and Services Provided by our Forum Sponsors
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 10:58 PM
  4. You Know You Have A Real Jeep (Are A Real Jeeper) If . . .
    By 04jeeptj in forum Off Topic General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 08:01 AM
  5. Beware the door-to-door free breast exam guy!!!!!
    By paparonbo in forum Off Topic General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-23-2006, 01:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •