Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recall: Jeep Wrangler JL frame weld failures

Re: "Recall"*Jeep Wrangler JL frame weld failures

Quote Originally Posted by lethaljeep View Post
    Time to go wheel your JL on collateral damage then go return it

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jeez, this is some scary stuff. I truly hope this was limited to a portion of one month of vehicles as mentioned above, and nothing more. Otherwise, this is a catastrophic situation.

Scott
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

i want to see what our members JL welds look like. no internet hub-bub, true hands on facts. Maybe one robot got some bad gas or something silly and QC missed it. So who has a JL, post up the welds.

eric?

Things are chaotic at the Toledo assembly plant, according to my contact there. The demand for these vehicles has many working long hours. They have a new plant manager, recently. Let’s hope that cool heads prevail and/or Fiat stops micromanaging an American, not Italian, massive success story.

Re: Recall: Jeep Wrangler JL frame weld failures

I knew about the weld issue and checked mine out prior, nothing extensive just a quick look and found nothing. I just checked again and more thorough onmost of the vehicle and found they did a pretty good job. I did find a few holes in an otherwise perfect weld but nothing like the pics or anything I would cry foul over.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    I knew about the weld issue and checked mine out prior, nothing extensive just a quick look and found nothing. I just checked again and more thorough onmost of the vehicle and found they did a pretty good job. I did find a few holes in an otherwise perfect weld but nothing like the pics or anything I would cry foul over.
    Holes in a seemingly perfect weld is called porosity which is contamination of the weld joint.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

those look like human welds. My guess they had a robot go "Down" and decided to put some guy on the line welding that had no experience.

Just my guess

Quote Originally Posted by AZsilver View Post
    those look like human welds. My guess they had a robot go "Down" and decided to put some girl on the line welding that had no experience.

Just my guess
    Fixed it.

Those welds resemble the welds on one of the builds taking place on this site. They should be fine.....
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by weekend warrior View Post
    Holes in a seemingly perfect weld is called porosity which is contamination of the weld joint.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I will defer to your expertise, it shouldnt be there, but a couple of holes in a long weld isnt something I'm sweating. I looked again up front of the vehicle. Welds had no holes but lots of slag remnants (??) on the front inside frame. Most of the welds looked pretty good, other spots were a tad ugly then a couple of holes. I'm no expert but it doesnt worry me. But if they want to give me a new vehicle I'll take it. I love this thing! lol

I crawled under the jeep again and found a few more holes. Still nothing like the pics but I'm bringing it to the dealership to have them check and get it on record.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    I crawled under the jeep again and found a few more holes. Still nothing like the pics but I'm bringing it to the dealership to have them check and get it on record.
    Let's see some pics man! Edit...IMHO, factory welds should be pretty much flawless -- no holes, no slag of any kind.
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    Let's see some pics man! Edit...IMHO, factory welds should be pretty much flawless -- no holes, no slag of any kind.
    IMO all vehicles should be perfect but I've never once had a perfect one, not even close, american made anyway. lol I dont even get mad anymore it's just part of the deal and it helps that I really like it. My TJ was probably the least problematic usa vehicle I've had.

This time I got even more serious lol Got a shop light, wet rag to clean frame and really looked around. More holes, little welding bumps (that's slag right?) everywhere. It's pretty embarrassing. I'm labeling the locations, taking pics, pretty much chronicling everything before bringing it in.

I'd advise all JL owners to have a GOOD look see under their rigs. I earlier said February was the month they had issues but it appears it bled into March. I bought mine in August so I just did a quick look see ASSUMING the build date was much later. Wrong, build date is March, how did that happen? My advice is if you have one check it no matter the build date, if your buying, thinking I'd bring a creeper and a flashlight and check it thoroughly. Or wait for the bronco's to come out. LOL

Paint can hide a bunch of hurt. I’d tap the joints with a chipping hammer, see if you can knock off any slag.

The pics at the start of this thread don’t really look like robo welds, more like guy off the street welds. Are the frames actually fabbed in Toledo? Or just shipped there for assembly like most other “made in America” vehicles?
    #FactsMatter

Quote Originally Posted by 2equisYJ View Post
    Paint can hide a bunch of hurt. I’d tap the joints with a chipping hammer, see if you can knock off any slag.

The pics at the start of this thread don’t really look like robo welds, more like guy off the street welds. Are the frames actually fabbed in Toledo? Or just shipped there for assembly like most other “made in America” vehicles?
    If it were just slag I wouldnt care. Still lame but wouldnt care. Now that I cleaned up the frame, got a better light and put my glasses on their are holes all over the place, too many ugly welds. It really is embarrassing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information