Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Project on CJ7

Re: New Project on CJ7

1980 should have D300 tcase
    Moderatly easy conversion to TF999, used in Jeep CJ7, and YJ wranglers (91+ were 32RH, essentially 999 with hole for crank position sensor) and AMC eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

How hard is it to positively identify the tranny and transfer case? This jeep has had some mods done on it, suspension engine etc.
    Last edited by Tectron; 10-03-2018 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Im Old, and old people are smarter

You may want to consider upgrading to an AW4 4 speed automatic transmission. That will help your gas mileage and your cruising speed. The AW4 is controlled by a TCU, but it can be wired in to the older, non computerized motors. Here is a link to one of the Javelin conversion writeups.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/aw4-con...opic15549.html

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

The AW4 is what I put in my 90 YJ behind the inline 6, 4.0, it will work with the V8 also? didn't know that, thanks.

1980 should have D300 tcase
    Moderatly easy conversion to TF999, used in Jeep CJ7, and YJ wranglers (91+ were 32RH, essentially 999 with hole for crank position sensor) and AMC eagle
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

I am pretty sure Aw4 is too long for CJ7 or YJ (or TJ), was never used in any of them. Even with 999 or 32rh, driveshaft is real short

Quote Originally Posted by OlneyJeeps View Post
    I am pretty sure Aw4 is too long for CJ7 or YJ (or TJ), was never used in any of them. Even with 999 or 32rh, driveshaft is real short
    He just said he put one in his 90 YJ behind a 4.0l.

90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

Quote Originally Posted by 62willy View Post
    He just said he put one in his 90 YJ behind a 4.0l.

Yep, I did the drive lines hook up but there is no play left so I need to go to those drivelines that slip inside of themselves, and pretty sure those will have to be made special, was thinking of just taking jeep to Arizona Driveline in Phx. and let them measure it all out and have them make them. Mabey install them if they will do that there.
    Last edited by Tectron; 10-04-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Is there a 4.0 and a 4.01? I thought I put a 4.0 in my YJ. Fuel injected. Oops, just read back to Willy's post, he wrote 4.0L not 4.01.
    Last edited by Tectron; 10-04-2018 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectron View Post
    Is there a 4.0 and a 4.01? I thought I put a 4.0 in my YJ. Fuel injected.
    That's a lower case L for 4.0 liter.

FWIW: The ONLY reason for NOT having factory installed the AW4 into the CJ7, YJ, and TJ's, is caused by the short wheelbase because the length of the trans creates too short of a rear drive shaft for off-road operation for the full articulation cycling of the axle.

While this may work "ok" for a street-driven only vehicle, or where the suspension movement is strap-limited or similar, but if the vehicle is to be used off-road with no articulation restrictions in place (vertical movement of the center section of the diff), and the suspension is instead allowed to articulate normally, the driveline angles will get steep enough to cause u-joint binding (then breakage) of either the u-joints, and/or the yokes.

As for an earlier question regarding the column make... It is a Saginaw column (GM), which has been made to lengths specific to the Jeep model it is installed in. CJ, YJ & XJ all used similar (but slightly different) columns, with switch gear, keyed ignition modules, etc. common with GM models of the same era.
    Working for a living is highly over-rated...

No way could be functional in YJ unless stretch
    6" drive shaft would not allow for DC

Thanks everyone for all the input, I need to concentrate on this CJ7 for now. I just lost my loner rims and tires so that may be my next step soI can move it around. So id like to ask a few question on rims and tires. My driving will be 90% off road and mostly graded. Do I go with 8 inch wide rims or 10? Ive heard alot about tires coming off the 10 inch when doing more extreme offroading and if using 8 inch rims you can still go with a wide tire and be able to run lower pressures while keeping the tires on the rims. Opinions? Also was wondering about the offset on the rims, I am guessing that a stock offset is fine even with wider tires on an 8 inch rim? and if I go with 10 inch how does that change the offset? thanks guys.
    Last edited by Tectron; 10-13-2018 at 10:12 AM.

stick with 8 inch wide, 10.5 tread width will be a good compromise. 15 x 8 rims are cheap and easy to find for your cj.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley-moeracing View Post
    stick with 8 inch wide, 10.5 tread width will be a good compromise. 15 x 8 rims are cheap and easy to find for your cj.
    Thanks for the info, do I need to be concerned about the offset on the rims? drum on rear and disc on front.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information