Thread: Getting a CDL?

Getting a CDL?

I'll be buying a larger 5th wheel in the next few months, and just to be safe and legal in all states, I'm thinking of getting my CDL.
    Any schools better than others?
    Anything i might want to think about?

Re: Getting a CDL?

Dumb question but at what point do you need a CDL?

Answer:

A CDL must be obtained by the driver of any of the following vehicles:

Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
    Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
    Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
    Any vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.

Its not that i need one, i think think it'd be good as I'll be looking at GCWR of 23k

Arizona CDL 1313 N 25th Ave Phx Az. The wife got hers there. Alot cheaper than the big guys and no need to hire onto a trucking company to pay tuition. I went to Southwest Truck Driving School. They are great ,but it was a month long process.

I don't see any reason you'd need to go to CDL school. It's not a requirement and the test is easy to study for on your own. Only thing I'm not sure of is what vehicle they would let you take the driving test on if your personal vehicle is not a CDL required setup.

Maybe he's more or less looking for someone to chime in and offer to take some of his money for their time to practice with him and go over some safe towing practices, checklists and whatever else is in these classes.

Not sure what CDL school costs...
    93' 2.5L YJ 8.8 4.88 33's E-Locker & LSD

WTB- co2 handle/valve guard for 5# tank.

About $2,000 or just under.. he doesn't need one, But they can inform you about what a truck driver has to think about while he drives & you will learn more about being aware of everything going on around you at all times...

Don't get a CDL unless you need one. It's an easy test but you have to renew every 5 years, plus you have to get a DOT physical exam every 2 years. You cannot take a driving school class to get out of a ticket, plus you will almost always be held accountable for any accident you are involved in regardless of fault because you are a "professional driver".

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

Quote Originally Posted by 62willy View Post
    Don't get a CDL unless you need one. It's an easy test but you have to renew every 5 years, plus you have to get a DOT physical exam every 2 years. You cannot take a driving school class to get out of a ticket, plus you will almost always be held accountable for any accident you are involved in regardless of fault because you are a "professional driver".

This is a great reason not to. If you have towed big heavy loads there are basics you need to be familiar with but you can get that of the internet or your buddy who might tow. Common sense plays a big factor and safety check list are critical but you only have so many if you are driving a one ton or smaller truck vs a big rig.
    A little bit of something is a whole lot better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 62willy View Post

^^^This is the correct answer. If you do not need a CDL to make a living or in order to be legal, don't do it. ^^^

2005 F350- GVWR 11500 + 2006 Weekend Warrior Fifth wheel toyhauler- GVWR 15900 = 27,400. Slap a jeep on the back of the trailer (flat towed or on a trailer) and it's way over!

It's easier to exceed the 26,001 than most people realize.

Also, remember that the CDL is for Commercial Drivers.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Getting a CDL?

I only paid like $400 for my license.

Personally I think anything bigger than a 20ft trailer of any type should require a cdl , or at the very least some sort of endorsement saying you know how to tow. There are way too many unskilled people out there hauling around stuff they shouldn’t. same goes for RVs

Coming from the guy that goes to pick up the mangled mess after they realize they should have done it ...lol

If you don’t need the “school” then you can just go take the test like I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

Thread Information