Thread: Any advice on pool salt chlorinaters?

Any advice on pool salt chlorinaters?

Im looking to replace my old salt system on my small 9500 gallon pool.
    Im looking at the Astral and the jacuzzi brands.
    Anyone with experience with either?
    Others?

Re: Any advice on pool salt chlorinaters?

PM a member with the screen name of “Woody”. He’s one of the best pool guys around!

Gravity hates me!

Just throwing this out there. I use Poolman for weekly service on my pool, works out to about $20 per week and they provide a free salt cell and the computer to control it. My existing timer turns it on and off at night. They came out and did the install at no charge. They maintain the equipment and since it belongs to them, they scrape the salt cell itself when buildup occurs, and they are responsible for any programming and maintenance required to the computer etc. Totally worry free and I didn't have to buy anything.

On one hand, it's their hook because nobody else that I have found provides a salt cell and controller for free, so if I ever get pissed off enough to untie myself from them, I would have to go out and buy a cell and controller, but on the other hand, it means I spent zero dollars to own my own system, I keep zero chemicals at the house, and I have to do almost zero maintenance on my own pool.

I certainly feel like their techs rush through the weekly service to the extent that they barely do what my contract says they are supposed to do (basically - emptying baskets, backwashes, shock and balancing as needed, weekly brushing the walls, steps and baja shelves). Sometimes I do get agitated enough to complain to Poolman when they skip things they are supposed to do and I notice...it does happen...and I had enough of a problem with one tech early on that they started sending someone else...but for $20 a week and a free salt cell, my life is made a lot easier.

Scott
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Aaaand, I got home from work and my wife was livid because the Poolman tech spent a total of 6 minutes at our house today, which included testing and balancing, baskets, and brushing. Go figure.

Man Scott, that sounds like a really good deal. I charge between $75 and $125 per month for pool service. I do include chemicals, but I don't see how they can profit from providing a free salt cell. I average about 20 to 30 minutes at each pool. But I think my average is going down now that I'm getting more smaller pools with newer equipment and less debris in the yards.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

Quote Originally Posted by 62willy View Post
    Man Scott, that sounds like a really good deal. I charge between $75 and $125 per month for pool service. I do include chemicals, but I don't see how they can profit from providing a free salt cell. I average about 20 to 30 minutes at each pool. But I think my average is going down now that I'm getting more smaller pools with newer equipment and less debris in the yards.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    It's their hook. They buy large quantities of cheap salt systems and then provide them for "free" with weekly service. Their "BBB" service which is the middle package is actually $21.50 per week, so $1,118 per year. The only thing they do every week when they come is empty the baskets and "brush" the walls, baja shelves (there are two) and steps. "Brushing" is what they're not very good at and what I usually end up complaining about. Every other week, they test the water and do any needed chemicals. With this package, they don't scoop out anything that's floating in the water, they don't brush the floor (but I have a high end crawler, so that's really not necessary), and they don't scrape salt buildup off the tile at the waterline.

So it is certainly not "full service" like what I'm sure you provide.

At my wife's insistence, I sent an email complaint to Poolman on Tuesday and in reply, they informed me that my house is stop # 21 on the tech's Tuesday route, and their expectation is that their techs spend 5-10 minutes at each stop. I think that the time they put on the little card they leave each week said they finished at 12:32pm or something like that. So halfway through the day, the guy had already hit more than 20 homes.

The salt cell thing is their bargaining chip. Supposedly, they have their salt cells in place at about 6,000 homes. If everybody is on the same plan I'm on, that's $6.7M in annual revenue. They cater to people like me that don't want to spend $600-$800 to buy one, and then be responsible for installing and maintaining it.

Scott

Thread Information