Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking for guidance regarding tires sized at 35

Re: Looking for guidance regarding tires sized at 35

Quote Originally Posted by armygreenjk View Post
    What about the top one? Has it held up stock?
    My front uppers are stock. I replaced rear lowers when I did my lift - Artec only offered skids in full mount replacements and I figured if the front were skidded I should skid the rear.

My rear upper were later replaced because well my control arm bolt may have come out and hosed the whole thing lol - my bumpstop saved me as when the stock bracket tore apart, the control arm bolt wedged into my bumpstop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_Mike 2013
    Truth be told, I like wheeling with you and Willygoat. Always a fun ride (with clothes on or off)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_Mike 2013
    You are so weird. I like it!!

2014 JK Rubicon Granite Crystal

QUEEN OF THE MALLCRAWLERS!

Thanks for all the information on 35s. This is excellent experiential data. Here are some key points: 1) installing tires / wheels >32 or 33 in. alone will eventually lead to premature wear / plastic deformation / ultimate failure of components (vs. the FCA/Jeep design intent life [not reported herein]), 2) regarding fuel economy: expect no worse than 13 (city) and 16 (hwy) on 35s if done correctly, 3) lift: 2" to 4" is statistically the median lift (N>50), 4) D30 front end: expect plastic deformation, i.e. bending, if used for off-road duty with 35s, 5) differential: when going to 35s, 4.10 would be fine but only used with the 3.6 L engine under controlled off-road duty. 3.8 L engine known to result in transmission life issue with 35s and 4.10 (N=1), >4.10 --> lower operational front-drive torque --> improved life --> fuel economy ???, 6) Continuous Improvements targets priority list: a) add cage, b) add full truss and gusset kit, c) rear track bar axle side brackets, d) ball joints, e) drag link, track bars, tie rods, steering box, front track bar, etc.

My discussions with Dana Holding Co. and FCA engineering folks were very informative. The JK and JL designs are a massive compromise as the intended market for these jeep products is massively diverse and the engineering cost pressures are enormous. The Toledo South assembly plant is going through huge changes under the influence of Fiat top-level management and all are anxious to see the outcomes. Their new plant manager has drank the cool-aid and change is happening. How this will influence vehicle design quality, manufacturing quality, MSRP, production volume, etc. are not known.

Again thanks very much.

You don't have to type out "Dana Holding Co.". 100% of the people here know what Dana is.

I feel like your last message can mostly be summarized as follows: "When you begin to upgrade your (insert Jeep model designation here) to make it more capable off-road than in its stock form, you will unavoidably sacrifice some on road mannerisms such as fuel economy, and you must be prepared to continuously upgrade / repair / replace wear components, at an accelerated rate, for as long as you own the vehicle".

We refer to this as JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket.

Most have felt, for decades, that all Wranglers were a product of compromise.

Welcome to the community.

Scott
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    You don't have to type out "Dana Holding Co.". 100% of the people here know what Dana is.

I feel like your last message can mostly be summarized as follows: "When you begin to upgrade your (insert Jeep model designation here) to make it more capable off-road than in its stock form, you will unavoidably sacrifice some on road mannerisms such as fuel economy, and you must be prepared to continuously upgrade / repair / replace wear components, at an accelerated rate, for as long as you own the vehicle".

We refer to this as JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket.

Most have felt, for decades, that all Wranglers were a product of compromise.

Welcome to the community.

Scott
    What is a Dana? :laughing

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

97 Cherokee- NP242 T-Case/skid plate, front/rear skid plates, tow package, RC 4.5" LA lift, locked f/r,chromos, trussed 8.8-30,410s, dual steering stabilizer on 33x12.5 mud claws on 15x10 rims. Custom sliders, fender flares, winch bumper & 9k lumen light bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy59 View Post
    What is a Dana? :laughing

LOL. That answer depends on which Dana.

A Dana 25 is: Really, really old
    A Dana 27 is: See above!
    A Dana 35 is: A grenade waiting to happen
    A Dana 30 is: OK on 35s if you drop $2,000 into it before you wheel it
    A Dana 44 is: Negligibly better than a D30
    A Dana 50 is: Different
    A Dana 60 is: Formerly the ideal rear axle, now requires a shave and upgraded internals because progress!
    A Dana 70 is: More axle than most people will ever need
    A Dana 80 is: Great for clown tires!
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Blog Entries

Had the 35..... swapped for an 8.8
    Have the 30 with 4.10's, chromoly shafts and artec truss.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    LOL. That answer depends on which Dana.

A Dana 25 is: Really, really old
    A Dana 27 is: See above!
    A Dana 35 is: A grenade waiting to happen
    A Dana 30 is: OK on 35s if you drop $2,000 into it before you wheel it
    A Dana 44 is: Negligibly better than a D30
    A Dana 50 is: Different
    A Dana 60 is: Formerly the ideal rear axle, now requires a shave and upgraded internals because progress!
    A Dana 70 is: More axle than most people will ever need
    A Dana 80 is: Great for clown tires!

97 Cherokee- NP242 T-Case/skid plate, front/rear skid plates, tow package, RC 4.5" LA lift, locked f/r,chromos, trussed 8.8-30,410s, dual steering stabilizer on 33x12.5 mud claws on 15x10 rims. Custom sliders, fender flares, winch bumper & 9k lumen light bar.

My .02 ...among 4 others right now: 07 JKU 4.5" LIFT, 35s, 4.10 gears
    Personally, I like highway gears. Had 32s till about 84k. Burned trans (no cooler) @ 135k
    Best improvement (imho / for me) was Rubicon transfercase...$1200= keep hwy gears+awsome low (4:1) (also adde d cooler)

Bigger tires=more rebound = need better shocks AND stabilizer. Stabilizer dampens horizontal rebound. Without good enough one, your parts will wear quicker, which will result in DW. Mechanical ENGINEERS that put them on Jeeps were had a reason to.

Milage is largely function of how you drive- conservation of inertia is key. Learn to drive without brakes, optimal speed (45-55) and monitoring tire pressure will do a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

Hello Olney. I have had that gut feel, that larger tires will change the suspension-dynamics of the vehicle, i.e. different suspension natural frequency, higher rebound amplitude, and you speak of "horizontal rebound". I worked at Ford during that Explorer roll-over incident and I can tell you that much evaluation went into those Firestone tires in terms of vehicle dynamics during maneuverers. Agreed on mileage influences, but also the engine brake thermal efficiency operating point (speed, torque) are worth some consideration. Thanks.

Dont overthink it. Once modified it will never be like it was stock. It will be way better.

I had on 07 3.6 slug with 35's and put 5:13 gears in it. It really help with acceleration and MPG but I really didn't like how high the RPMs were on the freeway. But if you can deal with that, then at lease 4:88 or 5:13 would be a better choice. IMO

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information