Thread: Crown King Report - 8/18/2018

Cool Crown King Report - 8/18/2018

Since the group is getting ready to make a run to Crown King this weekend, I thought I would give you a quick report from my trip up to Crown King this past weekend.

I would say the trail has definitely taken a beating this summer with monsoon. Quite recently, sections of it have been freshly graded, but the trail is still a bit more 'rugged' than previous runs.

With the added rain and running water, the side obstacles look a good bit more challenging than normal. I was riding solo, so I did not attempt them, but I can tell that they have eroded & have not seen much traffic in a while.

When you get into the forest, you are forced down into the river. The mining operation is in full swing now (not sure when that started back up), so they have the road fully diverted to the river. There are two ways out of the river, I chose to take the more challenging way out and survived. I do not have lockers, but I do have a 4" lift with 35" tires. It was fun to say the least! Later in the day, I passed a new stock Jeep Renegade and he made it through somehow - I doubt he took the challenging way out of the river.

The most challenging part of the main trail is just before you get to the old Oro Belle Mine. As you come out of the creek/stream, there is a step that you have to get up (https://goo.gl/maps/gBtbE7L6cSR2). With my clearance, I took it head on and didn't have an issue (I do not have lockers either). I did see some lower vehicles struggling to get up it and I believe somebody had to use a winch to help a buddy up as well. Again, I think more of the step is exposed now due to the rain so it will be an interesting challenge for some. I posted a picture of the step on my Instagram account. The picture is from the return trip, but it should give you a sense of what you will face. I am not sure if the stock Jeep Renegade made it or not. I found him halfway between the river and the step.

All in all, we had a great day! I was 'that guy' and decided to come back down the trail after getting to Crown King. I do not think I will do that again on a Saturday. It was a great way to see the trail from a different perspective, but I am sure I made a few people upset when we had to squeeze by to pass.

As a little PSA, please remember that this trail was closed for quite a while due to fire restrictions. The town definitely suffered a bit from an economic perspective, so I am sure they will be excited to see large groups roll into town! If you need to top of the tank, gas is $6.50 right now.

NOTE: Throughout the week, I will be posting pictures on my Instagram account. Give it a follow if you like what you see: @my2015blackwidow

Re: Crown King Report - 8/18/2018

Great trail report and insight. Don't sell a stock Jeep short. With the right driver you'd be surprised what they can do. For the most part all the "main" trails our at TM, WT and Florence were broke in stockers
    Drew Hutchinson
    * 2010 JK Rubicon 4 door * 93 YJ Dana 60/14 Bolt Rear * 49 CJ-3A - STOCK * 51 CJ-3A "Farm Jeep" restoring

Good report, thanks for sharing. Glad to hear its getting more fun.

Great report, thanks for sharing. Rep points coming your way.

Scott
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Lets do it.
    Eric - *2004 Wrangler TJ, Coilovers, 2 Speed Atlas, 37" Pitbull Rockers
    *'08 Silver Rubicon JKU 2.5" lift, 5.13's and 35's

Nice trip report. Thanks for taking the time to put it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    Nice trip report. Thanks for taking the time to put it out there.
    Ditto!

Thanks for the positive feedback! It is my pleasure to pass on what I learn and see.

There used to be a big ledge in almost that same spot many years ago. It was pretty much the hardest spot on the whole trail.
    RIP The Tetanus Shot

Unfortunately the miners graded the trail again. Just when it was getting rough again. The obstacles haven't changed much.

Quote Originally Posted by Extrememc View Post
    Unfortunately the miners graded the trail again. Just when it was getting rough again. The obstacles haven't changed much.
    Curious who graded it. Looked graded well north of the mine. There was a county grader sitting o. The road on the way in.

I was told the miners graded it but that could be bad info , either way it sucks. It was shaping up good again with all the rain up there.

Thread Information