Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JL Great Thread

Re: JL Great Thread

Quote Originally Posted by armygreenjk View Post
    If you want to disable it I read online that there’s a green wire on the battery that you disconnect.
    My problem came back. Thinking I should take it in and get it working then disable it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix311 View Post
    Congrats on the new JLUR. We ordered ours in Feb and received it May 7th. Have around 2,300 miles on it as of today and this thing is amazing. We kept it simple and just put some 35" tires on it. Kept the height stock and also put on Rockhard4x4 front aluminum mid width bumper, smittybuilt winch, rockhard4x4 rock sliders and soon i'll add the rockhard aluminum rear bumper once its released with their tailgate reinforcement kit. We will rock 35's for a year or two and then probably do a metalcloak 2.5" lift and upgrade to 37's. Waiting to go 37's to see how all the axles and steering and other components hold up over time instead of jumping right to 37's. The JK's had all kinds of weaknesses when going to just 35's (ball joints, bent axle tubes, outer c's etc).

Here are a few pics of our JLUR.

Name:  MVIMG_20180612_123021.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  1.02 MB
    NICE! Good idea on the waiting. Probably doing the same myself. I am researching full skids and going from there.

Get the metalcloak full skid. I just ran the Rubicon 2 days ago and there were a few new jls with us and they had the new full skid plate system from metalcloak and it was top notch. I would love that system. Also check out rockhard system. I haven't seen it in person yet but it's another option.
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    NICE! Good idea on the waiting. Probably doing the same myself. I am researching full skids and going from there.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Eric - *2004 Wrangler TJ, Coilovers, 2 Speed Atlas, 37" Pitbull Rockers
    *'08 Silver Rubicon JKU 2.5" lift, 5.13's and 35's

ESS is that stupid Stop/Start feature.
    I don't get it, other than your issue to me it's no bother at all. Do you have an automatic transmission? With the standard transmission it's not a bother at all, as soon as you push the clutch in it starts right up.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys View Post
    Congrats Twisty!
    I just picked mine up at the end of last month. Here is a pick of it bone stock with 37's. Not rubbing. There are some plastic panels under the rear you have to pull out. I'm about to do a 2.5" lift.

In the middle of putting my winch in now.

Name:  38200050_10212762615564607_7897289442421899264_n.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  320.0 KB
    I love those tires, have a set myself.
    Ted - K2AMD
    2006 KJ pretty much stock, but well stocked when I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    LOL. I'm one of the dbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputternutz View Post
    I don't get it, other than your issue to me it's no bother at all. Do you have an automatic transmission? With the standard transmission it's not a bother at all, as soon as you push the clutch in it starts right up.
    I have the auto and knew about ESS and thought it was stupid but it really is transparent and when in traffic it is pretty smart. Still, for me it is silly and something else to go wrong and did go wrong.

On top of that I went 18 so I wouldnt have to mess with BSG and it's second battery. Come to find out the 18s have a second battery too.

https://youtu.be/_zq47v-_lG4

Get the metalcloak full skid. I just ran the Rubicon 2 days ago and there were a few new jls with us and they had the new full skid plate system from metalcloak and it was top notch. I would love that system. Also check out rockhard system. I haven't seen it in person yet but it's another option.

Just checked out metalcloak, looks REALLY good. Others look great too including an alum one. I dont plan on wheeling my JL hard but hard enough that I know the skid will get nailed. I cant believe alum would hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Hey where you guys mounting your compressors? I looked under the hood and it's PACKED. Thinking it has to go in the back somewhere.
    I think Hauk or some other company makes a skid that goes under the driver/rear area to hold a tank and compressor.
    Mark c.

I think Hauk or some other company makes a skid that goes under the driver/rear area to hold a tank and compressor.
    I'll check into it. thanks!

I checked into those skids and they are nice. I was also looking at Artec. They give you more ground clearance and since you remove the stock gas tank skid it's net weight is quite a bit less then the others mentioned.

All the outfits have an alum alternative but I cant imagine they will hold up well long term if hit often. I dont plan on wheeling crazy stuff so maybe it doesnt matter for me anyway. I think these outfits are missing the boat on a hybrid metal/alum combo skidplate system. The belly pan being metal and alum extended from there.

btw the Artec alum version is a whopping 2k+ vs the way cheaper metal cloak and rockhard.

I'm confused. I was watching a metalcloak install on youtube, and they installed it over the fuel skid... why would you do that??
    Mark c.

I'm confused. I was watching a metalcloak install on youtube, and they installed it over the fuel skid... why would you do that??
    Just easier to do vs holding up the tank with straps, removing skid etc. I forget which system it was but one of them is close to 300lbs. ouch! The artec has a net weight of 70 (I think) and it's metal. I think the alum was like 10lbs

Just saw a JL truck in black testing garb up near Vegas. I wonder when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by armygreenjk View Post
    Just saw a JL truck in black testing garb up near Vegas. I wonder when it comes out.
    Yeah that one interested me but it only comes in diesel (I've read there are issues??) and likely a 55k pricetag. Not sure how bad the departure angles would be with it being a pickup, so I kind of gave up on it. I really would like one vehicle to do it all but with versatility comes trade offs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information