Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

The odds of needing more than 77" is less than the odds of the jeep being on it at all, let alone upgrading the yj to wider axles either.
    If a used one popped up that was 83 ok...but not gonna pay extra for it ATM.
    Quads are 46-48 " wide so it wouldn't allow me to park them side by side either.

Whenever I build a trailer it's the maximum legal width. Why not?
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Harder to keep in the lane when its wider. 83 is typical as the fenders are outside that. Good width til you go tons. Then you need driveover fenders or deckover

For my new trailer, I opted for 102s the entire length of the trailer. Any 83 trailer is 102s at the fenders/wheels. Its no more difficult to keep it between the lines then either of my 2-83 trailer decks. This is because its the same footprint.

Been a bunch of solid advice above: my personal recap-Dual axles, at least 16 to be able to position your load correctly, most car haulers are C channel, not angle iron, after owning lift gates or gated trailers, I dont own any, these days. The gates are weak, a PITA, and a drag on mileage. Ramps arent that heavy... my first two trailers had pipe or angle iron rails. It worked for me, until I started hauling things that wouldnt fit between the rails.

Happy trailer hunting. : )
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Quote Originally Posted by redneck20 View Post
    I would opt for at least a 14 you want enough space so they you can position the heaviest thing ( your Jeep) proper to correctly tow it

If it weighs out correct on a 12ft then go for it but I would borrow one and hook up and hit the scale and also see how it tows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Curb weight for a stock YJ w/ soft top/2.5L is around 2900#s (curb weight of my un-stock YJ is 4410#s)

For reference my 18 twin 3500# axle trailer weighs in at 1800#s

...so 4700#s gross.

You want 12-13% of that weight on the tongue to tow with a 1/2 ton safely (611#s @ 13%)

Regardless of your truck tow rating you need to remember the receiver on your Silverado is only a class 3 (for 5.3L) so 600# max tongue weight. You will need enough bed to balance your tongue weight safely. Id suggest an 18 footer. And yeah, longer trailers are easier to tow.

Cool video demonstrating tongue weight and stability....

https://youtu.be/4jk9H5AB4lM
    If you never get rejected youre probably leaving something on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by 2equisYJ View Post
    Curb weight for a stock YJ w/ soft top/2.5L is around 2900#s (curb weight of my un-stock YJ is 4410#s)

For reference my 18 twin 3500# axle trailer weighs in at 1800#s

...so 4700#s gross.

You want 12-13% of that weight on the tongue to tow with a 1/2 ton safely (611#s @ 13%)

Regardless of your truck tow rating you need to remember the receiver on your Silverado is only a class 3 (for 5.3L) so 600# max tongue weight. You will need enough bed to balance your tongue weight safely. Id suggest an 18 footer. And yeah, longer trailers are easier to tow.

Cool video demonstrating tongue weight and stability....

https://youtu.be/4jk9H5AB4lM
    A bunch of this ^^^^. My small trailer is an 18 car hauler. I wouldnt run anything smaller. 16 minimum...
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

you all are absolutely right with tons of advice! I do need to look up on deck over trailers... I thought there was some kind of regulation on them and I don't remember to what regards it was, maybe brakes on both axles req? I'll google it later.

Part of my struggle is trying not to overly upgrade my needs and budget. Spending a little more to be prepared or safe is good, but its easy to keep piling on a $100 here and there and before you know it... its another 1500$.

The main purpose will be to haul a sxs and quad, which I could do on a single axle, angle iron trailer, without brakes, probably 5x12 and be done for 14-1500 new... or maybe 1000-1200 used.

But then I think well maybe in the future I'd want to trailer the jeep to a trail or camping or it breaks or whatever (I usually drive it to and from trails). or I want something sturdier and safer and easier to load/unload and keeping it a long time. So that enters the tandem axle, brakes, width, wrap around tongue, tube? etc and basically there goes almost a 1000 for what may never even get loaded. :/ oh and the trailer is stored at parents place 10min away, gonna look for a good canvas cover to toss over it.

so your advice is not ignored or brushed off... it's just weighed against that and trying to balance it without going overboard.

still need to call gravely and see what they'll do over the phone. if they'll eat the tax, their pricing is pretty competitive for the drive.
    93' 2.5L YJ 8.8 4.88 33's E-Locker & LSD

WTB- co2 handle/valve guard for 5# tank.

Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

Since you are narrowing down what you want to buy, start looking around. I bought a barely used 5x10 PJ single axle for $800, off a dealer lot. I picked up this used, but well cared for 83x18 hauler for $1,800 a few months ago.

For trailers of size and $$$, it is very worthwhile to look out of state. I drove to TX, in April to pick up my new GN trailer and saved over $2K, compared to AZ pricing, plus the trailer was built a week before I bought it and it was sitting on the lot for 2 days, before I arrived to get it. Worth every penny/minute of the journey. (Had a call two nights ago from a buddy who wants the same GN. Due to the steel issues, its now about $2,500 more to buy it here, plus the taxes on the purchase. He also said it would be like a four month wait. He called me to say he should have traveled, when I did and picked up his, but he will be going to TX for one soon).
    Just know that AZ has some of the most expensive trailer pricing in the states and if you broaden your search you may find a trailer for a good enough deal, that its worth driving to pick up. I drove 22 hours round trip to get mine. A pic from TX, before leaving the lot...

I would do it again, in a heartbeat. Finally got that trailer set up and its been a great investment. Sitting outside of the Moab Brewery, while on our way to Rangely, CO.

What Im getting at is that you can buy a trailer capable of meeting your future needs, without breaking the bank or raising the price much. Just keep checking out ads and increase your search area. My first GN was bought off a lot in Tucson, cause it was worth the drive for the savings. There are also several good trailer sales pages/groups on FB. Worth joining for more sources. Sold my old Hillbilly Hilton using them.

Good luck. Seems like you are honing in on your needs. Remember, I bought too much trailer is something that is rarely ever heard...
    Last edited by Huck; 07-18-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

Repost. Somehow I quoted myself. Lol
    Last edited by Huck; 07-18-2018 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
    you all are absolutely right with tons of advice! I do need to look up on deck over trailers... I thought there was some kind of regulation on them and I don't remember to what regards it was, maybe brakes on both axles req? I'll google it later.

Part of my struggle is trying not to overly upgrade my needs and budget. Spending a little more to be prepared or safe is good, but its easy to keep piling on a $100 here and there and before you know it... its another 1500$.

The main purpose will be to haul a sxs and quad, which I could do on a single axle, angle iron trailer, without brakes, probably 5x12 and be done for 14-1500 new... or maybe 1000-1200 used.

But then I think well maybe in the future I'd want to trailer the jeep to a trail or camping or it breaks or whatever (I usually drive it to and from trails). or I want something sturdier and safer and easier to load/unload and keeping it a long time. So that enters the tandem axle, brakes, width, wrap around tongue, tube? etc and basically there goes almost a 1000 for what may never even get loaded. :/ oh and the trailer is stored at parents place 10min away, gonna look for a good canvas cover to toss over it.

so your advice is not ignored or brushed off... it's just weighed against that and trying to balance it without going overboard.

still need to call gravely and see what they'll do over the phone. if they'll eat the tax, their pricing is pretty competitive for the drive.
    I'm sure you know this, but you're talking about two completely different trailers. A utility trailer is what you'd use for the quads and SxS. The car hauler is what you'd need for the jeep, Sxs and quads.

Buy this one and be done with it! Offer them 3K.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/t...645718803.html

Or if you think a 16ft will do,

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/t...641538183.html

And I'm just going to post this one here because I've never seen the axles location configured like this on a heavy duty car hauler.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/t...641369106.html
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

I understand they're different... I NEED one for the SXS and quads... But if for a little more I can have the availability to put the Jeep on it that's good. Car hauler isn't out of the question but it adds more to the cost vs the convenience of the utility trailer/gate.
    I have 10ft arched folding aluminum ramps but yea that's getting old.
    Oh and yes...that axle location what the crap El mirage...

That 83x18 for 1800 is awesome... I'd jump on that too. The savings would be worth losing sides and gate.

I'm turning my attention more towards pin pointing the brake controller I want. Inertia vs time control... Heard prodigy 3 and that's where I'm starting.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    And I'm just going to post this one here because I've never seen the axles location configured like this on a heavy duty car hauler.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/t...641369106.html
    What the heck is that?!

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

That last picture with the axle at the back is a chopped off travel trailer frame. They didn't even take the steps off.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
    I'm turning my attention more towards pin pointing the brake controller I want. Inertia: Heard prodigy 3 and that's where I'm starting.
    Prodigy P3 and be done. There is no reason to buy another, in today's marketplace. I could give you my old Drawtite brake controller for a quality 6'er, if you decided that you wanted to go timed...

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    What the heck is that?!
    Not sure, but Im digging the 4 lug axles...

Not.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information