Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

Prodigy done and on its way.

What kind of load leveling hitches do you like?

I have a standard hitch with a 2" 5k ball but will be picking up a higher rated (yes I know I can get a higher 2" too, this is just an old one I've had) 2-5/16 in the next day or so.

Unless something comes up the one I have my eye on is a 2-5/16 coupler. That's why the size change.

Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    and the wife hasnt complained either when she pulls it.
    https://i.gifer.com/EUa.gif

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
    Prodigy done and on its way.

What kind of load leveling hitches do you like?

I have a standard hitch with a 2" 5k ball but will be picking up a higher rated (yes I know I can get a higher 2" too, this is just an old one I've had) 2-5/16 in the next day or so.

Unless something comes up the one I have my eye on is a 2-5/16 coupler. That's why the size change.
    Wait til you get your trailer so you can measure and figure out the drop you need. They all have different heights.

Prodigy is a good controller. Good start!

i went with one of the higher end adjustable units, has both 2 and 2.5/16, never have to worry about having the right drop.
    little pricey to buy a good one, but beats having different drops for different loads.

Looking at trailer hitches/balls and that's ******ed as well... some balls... 2" and 2-5/16" are rated 5k, some 6k and some 10k+.... but then the damn hitch itself is only 5k.

I'll definitely have to see what rise/drop i need first.

thanks again Estrada!
    93' 2.5L YJ 8.8 4.88 33's E-Locker & LSD

WTB- co2 handle/valve guard for 5# tank.

Looking at trailer hitches/balls and that's ******ed as well... some balls... 2" and 2-5/16" are rated 5k, some 6k and some 10k+.... but then the damn hitch itself is only 5k.

I'll definitely have to see what rise/drop i need first.

thanks again Estrada!
    Wait til you purchase a trailer, but if it has a 2 & 5/16s hitch on it, you know you made the right choice. I buy forged drop hitches these days and they are rated to 14K,iirc. Easily found on amazon, etc. If you are buying a brake controller, then your trailer ball should be 2 & 5/16s....
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

The one I'm eyeing is 2-5/16....the other same specd one was a 2"....

I'm thinking forged too...I saw a nice forged one that had all three balls but it was straight out...but before I spend $50+ on one it better been right.

So....what do you do for trailer security? If I trailer my stuff or jeep out somewhere and park...how do you prevent (without standing there and beating them) it from being unhooked and taken? I've seen the hitch locks instead of a basic pin but that seems ok for not losing the hitch.
    I know a determined and prepared thief will prevail anyway but a little prepared is good imo

Boot?

Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

I personally dont like adjustable hitches. I feel they just add another area or two that can develop play. I have four receiver hitches, due to the different trailers and trucks Ive owned over the years. Ive got a steel 2 drop, 2 ball: alumi-stinger 5 drop, 2 ball: forged 4 drop, 2 5/16s ball: forged 5 drop, 2 5/16s ball. They each serve a purpose and my forged ones are good for 14 and 16K, iirc.

When my trailer sits out, I use a proven industries, coupler lock. They are not cheap, but they are worth every penny. You cant pry them off and it locks up your safety chains, so a thief cant wrap your safety chains around the neck and haul it off, with a coupler lock still in place.
    Last edited by Huck; 07-20-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Yea 250 isn't horrible but not cheap either.

What do you do when the trailer is attached? Tire boot?

Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

What do you do when the trailer is attached? Tire boot?
    Not much, really. A chain or cable through the wheels or around the tongue and around the hitch, if Im leaving it for a while.

This is what I'm talking about....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBXZ5JW...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019RLTPYY...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013B1UB7G...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Trailer boot...orrrrr drunk friend boot. Covers lugs and not too bad in price for two.

Quote Originally Posted by lethaljeep View Post
    https://i.gifer.com/EUa.gif

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    I’ve got the P3 on the Avalanche...like it.

Wired it up direct to the GM brake controller harness but had intermittent brake light sensing issues when first installed (intermittent no voltage on prodigy display). After a ton of troubleshooting it turned out to be a bad brake light switch. Bad switch is also related to intermittent Stabilitrack Off warnings. Replacement part link......

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    If youre not paying for it, youre the product. #deletefacebook

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information