Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71

Thread: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    1,154

    Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    So I'm looking for a trailer and fairly new to this but doing my research and need some feedback too...

    The trailer will mostly be used to haul a smaller side by side and quad, but thought it would be good to be able to carry the YJ by itself if I want. Trailering the jeep wouldn't be very common, maybe once a year...if at all. But I thought it might be worth having the option.

    I'm looking at either 7'x12' tandam axle trailers, 3500lb axles, at least one brake, and no dove tail OR 7x12 single axle (do I need a brake?).

    It would be pulled by an 08 Silverado 5.3 4x4.
    I need to weigh my YJ, but with the 2.5L I'm expecting between 3000-3500lbs.

    I'm in the West Valley ...surprise!.... I looked up H&H that someone recommended on here but dealers are all in Mesa

    I have been looking at Crocker Mfg, instead of angle iron frame its all tube steel, so with the above specs It'd be around 2550. Sturdier/stronger... but maybe adding additional weight that affects GVWR?
    http://www.crockermfg.com/toy-trailers.html


    Being realistic on my needs... I don't know that I'd really use it for the jeep much at all unless I'm taking it to a shop for something and don't want to wait or arrange a ride (weak). I drive my jeep to trails, but if it's more than an hour drive I'm probably not taking the YJ (no ac/top and kids). If its up north camping id probably take the quads/sxs.
    I guess my thoughts are that if its a few hundred dollars difference I might as well get a dual axle and brakes?

    thanks for help and feedback.
    93' 2.5L YJ 8.8 4.88 33's E-Locker & LSD

    WTB- co2 handle/valve guard for 5# tank.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    35th and greenway
    Posts
    5,663

    Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    I would opt for at least a 14 you want enough space so they you can position the heaviest thing ( your Jeep) proper to correctly tow it

    If it weighs out correct on a 12ft then go for it but I would borrow one and hook up and hit the scale and also see how it tows


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chandler
    Posts
    1,315

    Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    Quote Originally Posted by redneck20 View Post
    I would opt for at least a 14 you want enough space so they you can position the heaviest thing ( your Jeep) proper to correctly tow it

    If it weighs out correct on a 12ft then go for it but I would borrow one and hook up and hit the scale and also see how it tows


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Curb weight for a stock YJ w/ soft top/2.5L is around 2900#s (curb weight of my un-stock YJ is 4410#s)

    For reference my 18 twin 3500# axle trailer weighs in at 1800#s

    ...so 4700#s gross.

    You want 12-13% of that weight on the tongue to tow with a 1/2 ton safely (611#s @ 13%)

    Regardless of your truck tow rating you need to remember the receiver on your Silverado is only a class 3 (for 5.3L) so 600# max tongue weight. You will need enough bed to balance your tongue weight safely. Id suggest an 18 footer. And yeah, longer trailers are easier to tow.

    Cool video demonstrating tongue weight and stability....

    https://youtu.be/4jk9H5AB4lM
    If you never get rejected youre probably leaving something on the table.

  4. #4

    Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    Quote Originally Posted by 2equisYJ View Post
    Curb weight for a stock YJ w/ soft top/2.5L is around 2900#s (curb weight of my un-stock YJ is 4410#s)

    For reference my 18 twin 3500# axle trailer weighs in at 1800#s

    ...so 4700#s gross.

    You want 12-13% of that weight on the tongue to tow with a 1/2 ton safely (611#s @ 13%)

    Regardless of your truck tow rating you need to remember the receiver on your Silverado is only a class 3 (for 5.3L) so 600# max tongue weight. You will need enough bed to balance your tongue weight safely. Id suggest an 18 footer. And yeah, longer trailers are easier to tow.

    Cool video demonstrating tongue weight and stability....

    https://youtu.be/4jk9H5AB4lM
    A bunch of this ^^^^. My small trailer is an 18 car hauler. I wouldnt run anything smaller. 16 minimum...
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    That's a good thought. I was trying to keep it as short as possible because my inexperience towing.

    Brake controller and adjustable hitch are on my list as well... once I purchase a trailer.

    I got the weights of the trailers too:
    950# for SA 7x12
    1300# for tandem 7x12

    also... is it worth having the trailer lifted a couple inches to help with ground clearance and maybe preset angle so hitch isn't dropped so much? or is that more nuisance than help?
    93' 2.5L YJ 8.8 4.88 33's E-Locker & LSD

    WTB- co2 handle/valve guard for 5# tank.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gilbert
    Posts
    289

    Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
    That's a good thought. I was trying to keep it as short as possible because my inexperience towing.

    Brake controller and adjustable hitch are on my list as well... once I purchase a trailer.

    I got the weights of the trailers too:
    950# for SA 7x12
    1300# for tandem 7x12

    also... is it worth having the trailer lifted a couple inches to help with ground clearance and maybe preset angle so hitch isn't dropped so much? or is that more nuisance than help?
    longer is typically more stable than shorter, just sayin
    your mileage may vary

    locked/locked
    241OR
    456s
    mighty 33s

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    wickenburg
    Posts
    1,946

    Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    Quote Originally Posted by MJin View Post
    longer is typically more stable than shorter, just sayin
    Longer is also easier to back up. A short trailer responds too quickly to truck movements.

    Bill

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Mountain
    Posts
    9,957

    Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    ^^agree with what these guys said. Even if you're only planning on pulling the YJ once or twice a year, I recommend that you avoid single axle trailers. Would suck to lose a tire on a single axle trailer with the YJ on it.

    I thought about going 12' as well to save weight but found that 12' trailers are typically not intended as car haulers and therefore use angle iron instead of box frames to save weight. Since you're talking about pulling the YJ only occasionally, you could probably get away with angle iron, but I suggest something with a box frame for strength.

    I started looking at 14' trailers at that point but found that nobody keeps 14' box frame trailers with dual 3,500 lb axles in stock, so everything would have to be ordered with a multi-week lead time, and the cost variance between a 14' and a 16' trailer is negligible. All the dealers told me this is because nobody buys 14' box frame trailers, which indicated to me that if I ever wanted to re-sell the trailer, it made more sense to get a 16' because they sell like hotcakes.

    Check out Deer Valley Trailer and Mr. Trailer Sales in Phoenix.



    Scott
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NE. Mesa
    Posts
    7,118

    Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    if your only hold up with going bigger then 14' is because of your lack of experience, then i would go bigger. Its not going to be noticeable and is actually easier to tow something longer then shorter.

    i would defiantly do dual 3500 axles with brakes on one.
    i would go 16'. The extra room is nice to level the load and you'll never complain about having "too big of a trailer".
    no dovetail, you arent going to drive the jeep or quads up it without ramps anyway, so you'll have to pull ramps no matter what. The extra clearance is nice.
    get a brake contoller, you'll need it for the jeep and its good to have anyway

    hook it up and have fun. anything outside of those specs is just extra needs/wants.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Oracle
    Posts
    38

    Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    Quote Originally Posted by ShmUDE View Post
    if your only hold up with going bigger then 14' is because of your lack of experience, then i would go bigger. Its not going to be noticeable and is actually easier to tow something longer then shorter.

    i would defiantly do dual 3500 axles with brakes on one.
    i would go 16'. The extra room is nice to level the load and you'll never complain about having "too big of a trailer".
    no dovetail, you arent going to drive the jeep or quads up it without ramps anyway, so you'll have to pull ramps no matter what. The extra clearance is nice.
    get a brake contoller, you'll need it for the jeep and its good to have anyway

    hook it up and have fun. anything outside of those specs is just extra needs/wants.
    That is the exact trailer set up I have. Actually I had one 15 years ago and sold it. Then a couple years later, I realized I should have kept it, and bought another one, same specs. Great all-around trailer for Jeeps, Cars, Quads, trips to the Dump, and anything else. You can even make money with it, once in a while, moving other people's Crap.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ahwatukee
    Posts
    6,015

    Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    Agreed with everything stated above. 16ft dual 3500lbs axles is pretty standard and highly recommended. You may not think you need the deck space, but its nice to have.

    Your truck with the 5.3 will pull it just fine. Brake controller for sure and get a tranny cooler down the road if you dont already have one.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Would having it built with 2" or 4" of lift be better? It's no extra charge through the builder.

    The current one I'm looking at is custom built with a week lead time and it's all square tube.
    I'll only consider angle iron if it's got a tube top rail for rigity.

    If I went single axle I wouldn't be pulling the yj at all. I may not even with the tandom, but I'm comparing prices to see if I feel it's worth the extra money.

    I can probably step up to 14' but probably won't go 16'.

    brake controller is on the list if I go tandem. Prodigy 3 is what I saw you all recommend.

    Resell...I'm not sure how much my needs will grow...thinking this is a pretty long term hold.

    I need to check DV trailers and phonix trailers... Phx is having some major sales atm. I'm searching now because it's hot as hell and timing would be on my side for pricing. I'll lose a little custom-built stuff but if the price is big enough difference then ok.

    Will be looking for a quad too in the 400cc range...just saying.

    So much reading and research...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ahwatukee
    Posts
    6,015

    Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    Personally I see no need for the lift if you arent getting the dovetail. I dont ever hit mine and its 18'. Definitely get a channel frame vs angle iron.

    You will find use for extra length over time. Im always throwing my coolers, camping gear, tools, etc on there with the Jeep. I also have a truck tool box mounted on mine, , which east up some deck space. I keep my tie downs and spare parts in there.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NE. Mesa
    Posts
    7,118

    Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    if you got a 14' i dont know if you could haul the sxs and quads all on it. Stack it up in your driveway and get out the tape measure to make sure they will all fit and look at the balance of weight front to back. You dont want too much weight on the rear of the trailer.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North phoenix,
    Posts
    3,849

    Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

    might as well go with the bigger one, as you will soon find, much like a gun safe, you don't have enough room to haul all you need. buy an 18 ft, with brakes, heavy axles, you can haul a little more, and be a little more comfortable pulling. jmo
    Rj

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Yellow Pages... who uses them?
    By My Green Jeep in forum Off Topic General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 10:42 AM
  2. New banner pages coming soon...
    By Joe West in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-10-2010, 08:51 AM
  3. Problem: loading pages
    By Wayco in forum Problems and Suggestions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 07:51 AM
  4. Funny Airport Pages
    By Wind_Danzer in forum Off Topic General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 12:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •