Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

So I'm looking for a trailer and fairly new to this but doing my research and need some feedback too...

The trailer will mostly be used to haul a smaller side by side and quad, but thought it would be good to be able to carry the YJ by itself if I want. Trailering the jeep wouldn't be very common, maybe once a year...if at all. But I thought it might be worth having the option.

I'm looking at either 7'x12' tandam axle trailers, 3500lb axles, at least one brake, and no dove tail OR 7x12 single axle (do I need a brake?).

It would be pulled by an 08 Silverado 5.3 4x4.
    I need to weigh my YJ, but with the 2.5L I'm expecting between 3000-3500lbs.

I'm in the West Valley ...surprise!.... I looked up H&H that someone recommended on here but dealers are all in Mesa

I have been looking at Crocker Mfg, instead of angle iron frame its all tube steel, so with the above specs It'd be around 2550. Sturdier/stronger... but maybe adding additional weight that affects GVWR?
    http://www.crockermfg.com/toy-trailers.html

Being realistic on my needs... I don't know that I'd really use it for the jeep much at all unless I'm taking it to a shop for something and don't want to wait or arrange a ride (weak). I drive my jeep to trails, but if it's more than an hour drive I'm probably not taking the YJ (no ac/top and kids). If its up north camping id probably take the quads/sxs.
    I guess my thoughts are that if its a few hundred dollars difference I might as well get a dual axle and brakes?

thanks for help and feedback.
    93' 2.5L YJ 8.8 4.88 33's E-Locker & LSD

WTB- co2 handle/valve guard for 5# tank.

Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

I would opt for at least a 14 you want enough space so they you can position the heaviest thing ( your Jeep) proper to correctly tow it

If it weighs out correct on a 12ft then go for it but I would borrow one and hook up and hit the scale and also see how it tows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

Re: Looking for a Trailer! Read a few pages in here first....

That's a good thought. I was trying to keep it as short as possible because my inexperience towing.

Brake controller and adjustable hitch are on my list as well... once I purchase a trailer.

I got the weights of the trailers too:
    950# for SA 7x12
    1300# for tandem 7x12

also... is it worth having the trailer lifted a couple inches to help with ground clearance and maybe preset angle so hitch isn't dropped so much? or is that more nuisance than help?

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
    That's a good thought. I was trying to keep it as short as possible because my inexperience towing.

Brake controller and adjustable hitch are on my list as well... once I purchase a trailer.

I got the weights of the trailers too:
    950# for SA 7x12
    1300# for tandem 7x12

also... is it worth having the trailer lifted a couple inches to help with ground clearance and maybe preset angle so hitch isn't dropped so much? or is that more nuisance than help?
    longer is typically more stable than shorter, just sayin
    your mileage may vary

locked/locked
    241OR
    456s
    mighty 33s

Quote Originally Posted by MJin View Post
    longer is typically more stable than shorter, just sayin
    Longer is also easier to back up. A short trailer responds too quickly to truck movements.

Bill

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

^^agree with what these guys said. Even if you're only planning on pulling the YJ once or twice a year, I recommend that you avoid single axle trailers. Would suck to lose a tire on a single axle trailer with the YJ on it.

I thought about going 12' as well to save weight but found that 12' trailers are typically not intended as car haulers and therefore use angle iron instead of box frames to save weight. Since you're talking about pulling the YJ only occasionally, you could probably get away with angle iron, but I suggest something with a box frame for strength.

I started looking at 14' trailers at that point but found that nobody keeps 14' box frame trailers with dual 3,500 lb axles in stock, so everything would have to be ordered with a multi-week lead time, and the cost variance between a 14' and a 16' trailer is negligible. All the dealers told me this is because nobody buys 14' box frame trailers, which indicated to me that if I ever wanted to re-sell the trailer, it made more sense to get a 16' because they sell like hotcakes.

Check out Deer Valley Trailer and Mr. Trailer Sales in Phoenix.

Scott
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

if your only hold up with going bigger then 14' is because of your lack of experience, then i would go bigger. Its not going to be noticeable and is actually easier to tow something longer then shorter.

i would defiantly do dual 3500 axles with brakes on one.
    i would go 16'. The extra room is nice to level the load and you'll never complain about having "too big of a trailer".
    no dovetail, you arent going to drive the jeep or quads up it without ramps anyway, so you'll have to pull ramps no matter what. The extra clearance is nice.
    get a brake contoller, you'll need it for the jeep and its good to have anyway

hook it up and have fun. anything outside of those specs is just extra needs/wants.

Agreed with everything stated above. 16ft dual 3500lbs axles is pretty standard and highly recommended. You may not think you need the deck space, but its nice to have.

Your truck with the 5.3 will pull it just fine. Brake controller for sure and get a tranny cooler down the road if you dont already have one.

Thanks for the feedback!

Would having it built with 2" or 4" of lift be better? It's no extra charge through the builder.

The current one I'm looking at is custom built with a week lead time and it's all square tube.
    I'll only consider angle iron if it's got a tube top rail for rigity.

If I went single axle I wouldn't be pulling the yj at all. I may not even with the tandom, but I'm comparing prices to see if I feel it's worth the extra money.

I can probably step up to 14' but probably won't go 16'.

brake controller is on the list if I go tandem. Prodigy 3 is what I saw you all recommend.

Resell...I'm not sure how much my needs will grow...thinking this is a pretty long term hold.

I need to check DV trailers and phonix trailers... Phx is having some major sales atm. I'm searching now because it's hot as hell and timing would be on my side for pricing. I'll lose a little custom-built stuff but if the price is big enough difference then ok.

Will be looking for a quad too in the 400cc range...just saying.

So much reading and research...

Personally I see no need for the lift if you arent getting the dovetail. I dont ever hit mine and its 18'. Definitely get a channel frame vs angle iron.

You will find use for extra length over time. Im always throwing my coolers, camping gear, tools, etc on there with the Jeep. I also have a truck tool box mounted on mine, , which east up some deck space. I keep my tie downs and spare parts in there.

if you got a 14' i dont know if you could haul the sxs and quads all on it. Stack it up in your driveway and get out the tape measure to make sure they will all fit and look at the balance of weight front to back. You dont want too much weight on the rear of the trailer.

might as well go with the bigger one, as you will soon find, much like a gun safe, you don't have enough room to haul all you need. buy an 18 ft, with brakes, heavy axles, you can haul a little more, and be a little more comfortable pulling. jmo
    Rj

Quote Originally Posted by ShmUDE View Post
    if your only hold up with going bigger then 14' is because of your lack of experience, then i would go bigger. Its not going to be noticeable and is actually easier to tow something longer then shorter.

i would defiantly do dual 3500 axles with brakes on one.
    i would go 16'. The extra room is nice to level the load and you'll never complain about having "too big of a trailer".
    no dovetail, you arent going to drive the jeep or quads up it without ramps anyway, so you'll have to pull ramps no matter what. The extra clearance is nice.
    get a brake contoller, you'll need it for the jeep and its good to have anyway

hook it up and have fun. anything outside of those specs is just extra needs/wants.
    That is the exact trailer set up I have. Actually I had one 15 years ago and sold it. Then a couple years later, I realized I should have kept it, and bought another one, same specs. Great all-around trailer for Jeeps, Cars, Quads, trips to the Dump, and anything else. You can even make money with it, once in a while, moving other people's Crap.

Im pretty sure mine is a 14 footer, which i put my YJ on. It loads pretty even and never have an issue while pulling it with my dodge 1500. The trailer is a double axle, 3500lbs each.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

tons of great thoughts!! thank you all... gonna be sending some rep points around for sure.

the trailer will have a rear drop gate that would work for the offroad toys, but will have to have it removeable for the YJ.

Have issues with too wide of a trailer? I need a 6.5' deck at least but will probably go with 7'. Truck is about 6'-6.5' wide.

Shmude- my sxs is just a 170cc more for training the kids, takes up 8ft end to end, so slight less with the tires up against a rail. Which would give me 4' on a quad on the rear, but I think I'll try for the 14' giving me 6' plus wiggle room. But if a smoking deal on a new 16x7' pops up... ill dig in.

Lethaljeep- what make is that? is that all tube or angle with the tube front rail? do mind not having the side rails?
    Last edited by mrdeath2000; 07-12-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information