Thread: Amount of labor to RandR an AC evap on a TJ

Amount of labor to RandR an AC evap on a TJ

Friends AC went out in her 97 TJ and they are telling her $800. $180 for evap and rest labor because its in the dash. Does that sound high? Does to me
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

Re: Amount of labor to RandR an AC evap on a TJ

you tube says 4 hours, remove dash, evap is $45 at rock auto
    I used to worry about rich and skinny
    til I wound up poor and fat
    KE7VKY

I have to do mine too. It's a crappy job. Did my heater core a few years ago and it took me 6-7 hours to pull the dash and put it all back together

OK sounds like its plausible as mythbusters would say!
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

Hello, no that is not too high, but probably slightly higher than fixing your AC evaporator core in Fairbanks, AK in January. They are going to have to pull the system charge (several step process), gain access to your heater case within the cabin, mechanically remove and install the new core, pull a vacuum and check the seal integrity, re-install the heater case, recheck the system seal integrity, recharge the refrigerant and PAG oil (if needed), and verify the cooling operation. That’s if everything goes well. But if there is a leak, they have to disassemble and track down the leak. I don’t know if your service shop will reuse the reclaimed refrigerant or recharge with unused. At Ford, this used to take several hours of technician time, but that was Dearborn, MI and things went slow.

That's the going price. I just did my heater core/evap a few weeks ago and posted some pics on the "what have you done to your Jeep lately" thread. I heard from a few different shops around town not to go with aftermarket because they've seen problems so I ordered Mopar on both parts. It's not a job I wanted to do twice because of cheap parts. The heater core came from a dealer in NC and the Evap came from a dealer in CA. It's not a rocket science job but it does take time. I disassembled on a Friday night and reassembled Saturday morning. Total time about 6 hours but I took my time and took a bunch of pictures. Buy some picks (dental/o-ring picks) to help with the electrical connectors. Some connectors have locks and some don't. The picks helped where my fingers had a hard time reaching. And remember not to turn your wheel when you take the steering column off, you'll mess up the clock spring.

Thread Information