Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Night wheeling Friday 6/8

Re: Night wheeling Friday 6/8

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    And then I had a brake line issue up front again.
    :doh:

And no spare brakeline?

Anybody need brake line? I still have most of a 25 ft coil from living in NY (brake lines would always fail midwinter there)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    :doh:

And no spare brakeline?
    Haha when I replaced it I stupidly reused a crush washer. Wasn’t the line this time it was the old crush washer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nutt View Post
    Anybody need brake line? I still have most of a 25 ft coil from living in NY (brake lines would always fail midwinter there)

It would be interesting to slap a 25 ft brake line on haha. Might be too short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

I've replaced a lot of brake lines lying on my back in the snow wearing an insulated coverall. I got pretty quick with tubing cutter and flare tool

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nutt View Post
    I've replaced a lot of brake lines lying on my back in the snow wearing an insulated coverall. I got pretty quick with tubing cutter and flare tool

That doesn't sound pleasant at all.

BTW, I carry a spare brake line, crush washer and fluid. Not to mention spare fuel line...

I knew I should have gone on this trip!
    82 Cherokee WT – SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

Quote Originally Posted by Will E View Post

BTW, I carry a spare brake line, crush washer and fluid. Not to mention spare fuel line...

Do you carry a spare 4.88 R&P for a D30?

Asking for a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Will E View Post

Last year I had LetzRoll install a set of Mountain Offroad front and rear extended shock towers and then I put longer shocks on the rig because up to that point my downtravel was being limited by shock length.

I already had extended brake lines but they were apparently not long enough because the first time I wheeled the rig after that, both front lines ripped off at the calipers. So I replaced them, but last time I was out a couple months ago, one of the new(ish) replacements blew due to tire rubbing having chewed through the stainless braiding. So I replaced it again but this time didn’t replace the crush washers, just the hose itself and that led to last weekend’s brake problem.

I am one of those people that doesn’t really think ahead enough I guess because I only seem to add a spare part to my tool bag after I’ve already had a problem with it that’s needed to be addressed on trail. I’ve never had a problem with the rig’s fuel delivery system so have never thought about carrying spare fuel line. Really, a 3” section of hose lol. Once I am back in town I’ll have two 3” sections of fuel line cut...one to replace the section of re-assigned radiator overflow hose that’s on the rig now, and another in case this ever happens again lol.

You just never fully know what collateral damage will happen when something breaks though I suppose, and in this case, the fuel line was collateral to the broken MORE shock tower. Appears to be a failed weld that led to the shock tower’s demise.

Scott
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    Do you carry a spare 4.88 R&P for a D30?

Asking for a friend...
    LOL. No but if you have a spare I can toss it in the back. There is room.
    82 Cherokee WT – SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    Last year I had LetzRoll install a set of Mountain Offroad front and rear extended shock towers and then I put longer shocks on the rig because up to that point my downtravel was being limited by shock length.

I already had extended brake lines but they were apparently not long enough because the first time I wheeled the rig after that, both front lines ripped off at the calipers. So I replaced them, but last time I was out a couple months ago, one of the new(ish) replacements blew due to tire rubbing having chewed through the stainless braiding. So I replaced it again but this time didn’t replace the crush washers, just the hose itself and that led to last weekend’s brake problem.

I am one of those people that doesn’t really think ahead enough I guess because I only seem to add a spare part to my tool bag after I’ve already had a problem with it that’s needed to be addressed on trail. I’ve never had a problem with the rig’s fuel delivery system so have never thought about carrying spare fuel line. Really, a 3” section of hose lol. Once I am back in town I’ll have two 3” sections of fuel line cut...one to replace the section of re-assigned radiator overflow hose that’s on the rig now, and another in case this ever happens again lol.

You just never fully know what collateral damage will happen when something breaks though I suppose, and in this case, the fuel line was collateral to the broken MORE shock tower. Appears to be a failed weld that led to the shock tower’s demise.

Scott
    I tend to overthink this stuff. When I had new lines made it happened to be not long after a buddy had a brake line problem. So I had them make me a spare. I carry an amazing amount of stupid stuff but I figure I have room for it so why not? Plus the rid is 35 years old. It doesn't even have to be on the trail to break down...

You know how Murphy's Law works, right? If you have it, you won't need it. Seems to be true as I've been highly successful learning from others' misfortunes.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    You know how Murphy's Law works, right? If you have it, you won't need it. Seems to be true as I've been highly successful learning from others' misfortunes.
    That's why I have a complete clutch kit on the shelf in the garage....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information