Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Camping with a JKU - Trailer or Roof tent

Re: Camping with a JKU - Trailer or Roof tent

I do a lot of overlanding and camping in my JKU. I sleep in the back. Fold down the seats and a full size air mattress fits perfect. This really depends on how many are trying to sleep etc. It's just me and my dog, which is a big consideration, and why I do not have a RTT (roof top tent) yet. There are pros and cons to all. The RTT is great if you do not have large dogs etc, but that can be cured with a Annex and an interior ladder like Tuff Stuff offers. That would be the tent I would go with personally as my dog can sleep in the annex, and the ladder is still inside the annex when i get up at night etc...... The advantages to the RTT are elevation from critters, ease of set up (90 seconds to make camp), the views can be better, less ground moisture, better air flow, the tent can be an awning, and bedding stores inside. Downsides are :cost, Large dogs may not get up easily(or down), added weight and higher center of gravity, reduced gas mileage, and packing up for a day excursion. However Front Runner makes a really great "Quick release" RTT mount kit that I would have on any tent, this would allow the tent to be easily removed at camp, or in the garage etc. The RTT make your rig an "all in one solution". The Trailer is a great idea for the DIY guy, if you have a garage or place to work on it and store it. I would have one if I had a garage and I would put the awning and tent on the trailer with cabinets and storage for my gear and gas etc. The major downside to the trailer is mobility and your increasing the number of failure points. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Uranus View Post
    I do a lot of overlanding and camping in my JKU. I sleep in the back. Fold down the seats and a full size air mattress fits perfect. This really depends on how many are trying to sleep etc. It's just me and my dog, which is a big consideration, and why I do not have a RTT (roof top tent) yet. There are pros and cons to all. The RTT is great if you do not have large dogs etc, but that can be cured with a Annex and an interior ladder like Tuff Stuff offers. That would be the tent I would go with personally as my dog can sleep in the annex, and the ladder is still inside the annex when i get up at night etc...... The advantages to the RTT are elevation from critters, ease of set up (90 seconds to make camp), the views can be better, less ground moisture, better air flow, the tent can be an awning, and bedding stores inside. Downsides are :cost, Large dogs may not get up easily(or down), added weight and higher center of gravity, reduced gas mileage, and packing up for a day excursion. However Front Runner makes a really great "Quick release" RTT mount kit that I would have on any tent, this would allow the tent to be easily removed at camp, or in the garage etc. The RTT make your rig an "all in one solution". The Trailer is a great idea for the DIY guy, if you have a garage or place to work on it and store it. I would have one if I had a garage and I would put the awning and tent on the trailer with cabinets and storage for my gear and gas etc. The major downside to the trailer is mobility and your increasing the number of failure points. I hope this helps.
    That's a great screen name! Well done.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    You ever spend anytime with the bike and jeep around Taylor park Co. ? We are headed up there on Friday.
    Yeah been there with the bike several years ago. Another off the charts great spot. It is on my list of maybes going there. So much to see and do it's hard to make up my mind on which. This weekend I'm heading to Cloudcroft NM to visit family and ride then decide where to go from there.

I'll be in a white TJ on 35's this time towing a small utility trailer with an 18 300 KTM xcw. I need to figure out a way to put the bike on my jeep trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Yeah been there with the bike several years ago. Another off the charts great spot. It is on my list of maybes going there. So much to see and do it's hard to make up my mind on which. This weekend I'm heading to Cloudcroft NM to visit family and ride then decide where to go from there.

I'll be in a white TJ on 35's this time towing a small utility trailer with an 18 300 KTM xcw. I need to figure out a way to put the bike on my jeep trailer.

A bunch of us will be up there with our bikes from 7-27 till 8-5. Camping at spring creek reservoir. Stop and ride if you are near us.

WaA2\_

Name:  20180104_143300.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  449.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    A bunch of us will be up there with our bikes from 7-27 till 8-5. Camping at spring creek reservoir. Stop and ride if you are near us.
    My Cloudcroft trip ended up badly. While heading down an unbelievably fun and beautiful trail I landed on my head for no apparent reason. I busted up my trail armor and was fixing it while looking at what might have possibly happened. There was nothing on the trail that would have caused it?? Got myself ready, started the bike and tried to go and nothing. Front brake was locked up?? Upon further inspection I found a rock wedged between the spokes and caliper. So my fall was caused by this freak situation. Weird. I tried to fix it, but couldnt. I ended up removing the disk and riding back without a front brake.

Pretty happy I wasnt going faster on that trail. Could have been real ugly.

SO, I canceled this weeks vacation and going to try and move it coincidentally to that same week since I have friends there at the same time. Hope to see you there!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information