Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Camping with a JKU - Trailer or Roof tent

Re: Camping with a JKU - Trailer or Roof tent

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nutt View Post
    Last Father's Day

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Perfect. I never tried a hammock for camping. Going to have to throw one in the jeep.

They're pretty cheap, just get good tree straps as well. And you want a blanket under you if it's at all cold as the lightweight nylon ones don't stop the wind at all

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You guys are inspiring me to get a cot or hammock. Thanks.

One my favorites was our neighbor at the last annual VJC camping trip (three years ago) who hung a cot from his roll cage in his jeep. Put a tarp over the jeep.

Name:  Jeep Camping09.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  851.4 KB

We did tent camping out of the jeep. Bit of a logistics challenge getting enough gear in a two door for the wife but doable.
    Name:  Jeep Camping02.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  267.7 KB
    Name:  Jeep Camping03.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  741.5 KB

I go a bit more minimalist without the wife.
    Name:  Jeep Camping12.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  513.3 KB
    Last edited by bdc; 06-17-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Then we rented a few mini trailers. They are actually kind of nice. Pull in and camp is set in minutes. But these ones aren't built for trails. Forest roads only. Looked into the off road custom ones but ouch $$$. Since then we found a deal on a tent trailer with running water and a heater we pull with the pickup. And now that we're that spoiled we're looking at the full travel trailer with the AC and bathroom. Does mean we'll have to drive the jeep and pickup/trailer both if we want to camp and do trails.

Name:  Jeep Camping06.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  926.3 KB

Name:  Jeep Camping08.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  617.0 KB

Wait, bcc, what? You said the annual camping trip was three years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdjeep View Post
    Wait, bcc, what? You said the annual camping trip was three years ago.
    Ha yep. Last annual VJC camping trip was three years ago. We're all waiting for GREYST (Jessica) to set one up again.

Quote Originally Posted by bdc View Post
    Ha yep. Last annual VJC camping trip was three years ago. We're all waiting for GREYST (Jessica) to set one up again.
    Sorry guys, work has been beyond nuts and jeep still needs to be fixed. No promises but if the promised relief at work happens AND the forests re-open, MAYBE I'll be able to plan something for late summer, mid to late September(ish).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by greyst View Post
    Sorry guys, work has been beyond nuts and jeep still needs to be fixed. No promises but if the promised relief at work happens AND the forests re-open, MAYBE I'll be able to plan something for late summer, mid to late September(ish).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Sweet. Jessica is taking us camping!

In Sept Ill likely be doing a Moab run and camping up there if anyone wants to join

Let me know when. Ill go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

count my wife and I in, as long as it’s not too many days off from work.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Nice! WHat kind of tent is that and do you like it? Also how well does your jeep pull the trailer?
    I just got back from our Ouray trip Saturday. Trailer worked great for 3 people and the gear that goes with it. Best was having only a soft cooler and a few camelbak's up in the jeep. I even used the gas tank to transfer gas to the jeep. Needs a new pump or filter cleaning since it took 15 minutes to do 10 gallons.

The trailer was filled to the brim with stuff we needed and didnt need but we got it all in. Clearly the top I put on could have been higher but it was just too easy to do it the way I did.

Getting to Ouray was easy pulling for the most part but a few mountain passes was a struggle. One in particular had me in second gear, ouch. I have the 4.0 with 4.56's and have been dreaming of a V8 but I dont know that I want to go through that. Thinking 4.88's or 5.12's might be a better way??

As far as the trip once there. Wow. I always seem to forget just how nice CO is. We did the Alpine Loop, Imogene, Engineer, Cinnamon, Ophir, Alta, and of Course Black Bear. I did Black Bear years ago on a KLR650 and though it was easy. Much different in a jeep. I still thought was easy but the pucker factor was pretty much off the charts. One mistake and your pretty much done. Penalty for failure was HIGH.

I have off again next week and the following. I was going to hang in New Mexico with jeep and dirt bike but thinking of going back there again. It's that nice.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    I just got back from our Ouray trip Saturday. Trailer worked great for 3 people and the gear that goes with it. Best was having only a soft cooler and a few camelbak's up in the jeep. I even used the gas tank to transfer gas to the jeep. Needs a new pump or filter cleaning since it took 15 minutes to do 10 gallons.

The trailer was filled to the brim with stuff we needed and didnt need but we got it all in. Clearly the top I put on could have been higher but it was just too easy to do it the way I did.

Getting to Ouray was easy pulling for the most part but a few mountain passes was a struggle. One in particular had me in second gear, ouch. I have the 4.0 with 4.56's and have been dreaming of a V8 but I dont know that I want to go through that. Thinking 4.88's or 5.12's might be a better way??

As far as the trip once there. Wow. I always seem to forget just how nice CO is. We did the Alpine Loop, Imogene, Engineer, Cinnamon, Ophir, Alta, and of Course Black Bear. I did Black Bear years ago on a KLR650 and though it was easy. Much different in a jeep. I still thought was easy but the pucker factor was pretty much off the charts. One mistake and your pretty much done. Penalty for failure was HIGH.

I have off again next week and the following. I was going to hang in New Mexico with jeep and dirt bike but thinking of going back there again. It's that nice.

You ever spend anytime with the bike and jeep around Taylor park Co. ? We are headed up there on Friday.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information