Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camping with a JKU - Trailer or Roof tent

Camping with a JKU - Trailer or Roof tent

Hello fellow JKUers, my wife and I want to camp with our JKU. Based on what you guys have seen, would you recommend a simple cargo trailer with an elevated tent on top OR a roof top tent on our Jeep Unlimited. Weve got a 2018 JKU, Freedom Edition and love it. Thanks from Tim and Mary in Gilbert, AZ

Re: Camping with a JKU - Trailer or Roof tent

Welcome aboard! A friend of mine on here just put a roof top rack with a big tent on it. Really neat setup. Has the ARB fridge in the back.
    37's,locked,5.38's,6" lift,4:1tcase,winch,caged

Personal opinion but why do you feel that the tent needs to be elevated? I prefer to be on the ground so its easier to get in/out. I cant imagine climbing out half asleep in the middle of the night to pee. IMO get storage rack on the cage in the JLU and pack it all in the back. No need to pull a trailer or have all the extra weight up top. IMO its only worth having a trailer that has a real bathroom with toilet and shower. Otherwise the cost and tradeoffs arent worth it.

Thanks for your kind replies. A fridge in a tent - wow. Why do I want to get off the ground, I hate sleeping on the ground. I have camped for years in Eureka tents and have hated this aspect of camping. I am not sure why. Then I saw these elevated tents at the Outdoor Expo in Flagstaff and decided that’s my answer. Thanks. I hope to see you folks on the happy trail in my stock Jeep.

I think it depends on your budget and storage options. I really like the idea of having the whole package in one so you’re not dragging around a trailer but a rooftop tent wouldn’t fit in my garage. A trailer would be cool because you could set up a base camp and go exploring without tearing down every time. And it would fit in a garage. Tough decision.

I suggest the trailer simply because you can leave camp and drive around.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdjeep View Post
    Thanks for your kind replies. A fridge in a tent - wow. Why do I want to get off the ground, I hate sleeping on the ground. I have camped for years in Eureka tents and have hated this aspect of camping. I am not sure why. Then I saw these elevated tents at the Outdoor Expo in Flagstaff and decided that’s my answer. Thanks. I hope to see you folks on the happy trail in my stock Jeep.
    I'm going thru the same thing. I have a trailer and doing a trip the end of the month. I dont have tent as you described but that is the intent eventually. When your driving for hours or exploring it's nice to know you dont have to look for the perfect soft flat ground to pitch your tent. Just pull up some where reasonably flat and pop the tent open, cushions and bags there waiting. Plus if it rains there is no mud or crud or stakes or whatever to mess with. Nothing is worse then tenting in the rain and it eliminates part of that nastiness.

But in reading about the on the roof tents, they put weight up high where you dont want it. Gas mileage goes down, windy conditions are felt more. Some put up with this so they dont have to mess with a trailer and that is understandable.

Trailer is great IF you have a Base camp situation. My trip will have that so hoping it will work as well as the last time I used it. With a trailer you can bring more too and make the event more comfortable. Still you have to tow it there and with my TJ it wont be all that great. Thinking the newer 3.6 jeeps will be better here vs my 4.0.

Personally if it's just the two of you in a JK I wouldnt bother with a roof top tent or trailer despite my hatred for on the ground tents. lol

Here is my setup. I love having the trailer to keep all my camping gear in so when I am ready to go, just throw in some clothes and food in the cooler, hook up the trailer and I am ready to go!

Name:  Picture0626161530_1.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  70.5 KB
    Name:  20170319_082045 (1).jpg
Views: 186
Size:  50.5 KB
    2010 2 door Rubicon, 37x12.5 MTR's, Terraflex 2.5" lift, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, Smittybuilt XRC bumbers and sliders, Warn 9500 Powerplant winch, Dual tops, Hard and soft doors, Superchip, ...and the list will grow.

Looks like the trailer may be the way to go - more flexibility when camping. Will need a place to store it but that shouldn’t pose too big a problem. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by JLabr2 View Post
    Here is my setup. I love having the trailer to keep all my camping gear in so when I am ready to go, just throw in some clothes and food in the cooler, hook up the trailer and I am ready to go!

Name:  Picture0626161530_1.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  70.5 KB
    Name:  20170319_082045 (1).jpg
Views: 186
Size:  50.5 KB
    Nice! WHat kind of tent is that and do you like it? Also how well does your jeep pull the trailer?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by twisty; 06-06-2018 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Nice! WHat kind of tent is that and do you like it? Also how well does your jeep pull the trailer?
    My rooftop tent is a Kukenam by Tepui. I like it a lot. Five minutes for setup. I am up off the ground but not so high that I feel like I am in a treehouse. As far as pulling it, I definately know it's back there. But for short trips up to the Rim or over to the Sierra Anches it does fine.
    2010 2 door Rubicon, 37x12.5 MTR's, Terraflex 2.5" lift, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, Smittybuilt XRC bumbers and sliders, Warn 9500 Powerplant winch, Dual tops, Hard and soft doors, Superchip, ...and the list will grow.

I had a Tepui XL on a custom built trailer, and it was a great way to go. The tent was well built and easy to set up and take down. Super comfortable pad and good in wind and snow.

Biggest problem with the trailer is the 3.6 just doesn't cut it for pulling; especially if you have 35" tires. That extra 1,000# or so is like a boat anchor. Hills are a pain, the tranny is constantly searching for the right gear (with an automatic you really need to shift manually and anticipate the grades and stay ahead of it or it bogs down) and the gas mileage goes in the toilet.
    Burn it and beat on it

I'd definitely go with a trailer! Gives you a little extra room for gear and you can leave it at camp for a day of exploring.

Untitled by Daniel Avis, on Flickr
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Your wrangler struggles climbing hills with the trailer? How bad is the gas mileage and how bad is the handling at highway speeds? I am looking at a trailer made by To-extreme, out of Kansas, the trailer is 860 lbs empty. Looks great, but a don’t want to pull a boat anchor. Thanks for your kind help. Tim and Mary

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information