Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Camping with a JKU - Trailer or Roof tent

Re: Camping with a JKU - Trailer or Roof tent

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdjeep View Post
    Hello. I’ve got a trailer towing question. Any thoughts on whether or not trailer electric brakes would be necessary for towing a small 800 lb trailer, being towed by a 2018 JK Unlimited? Thanks for your consideration.
    I believe the legal requirement for trailer brakes is >3000 lb trailer.

Even if jeep doesn't make a harness, the controller manufacturers probably do. I suggest Prodigy. By far the best controller in my opinion, and I've had several.

I applaud you for wanting to do it as safely as possible. Most just hook up and go. Some don't make it back!
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Hello. Ive got a trailer towing question. Any thoughts on whether or not trailer electric brakes would be necessary for towing a small 800 lb trailer, being towed by a 2018 JK Unlimited? Thanks for your consideration.
    My trailer is right around there when loaded, more when I fill up the 23 gallon gas tank. You have to remember you have a trailer when stopping that's for sure. Offroading it's both a help and a hindrance. Going down it pushes but some times it's going down as you go up and it's a help. I plan on ripping out the current setup and going leafs/shock and brakes next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortured Metal View Post
    ^^
    Nothing ticks all the boxes.

Everything considered, I preferred the Dodge diesel and pop-up camper with the LJ on a trailer behind it. It has its limitations but it was the most flexible and easy to travel. Lack of space and no indoor toilet were minuses, but not too bad. The MOAB trailer was great, but pulling it with the JKUR sucked.

Age and health becomes a factor though. We now have a F250 diesel pulling a 25' toyhauler with a RZR inside. Pretty comfortable, but the RZR is the minus in this case. Currently building up yet another (the 3rd one) LJ; who knows how we will gear up around that. Maybe another MOAB type trailer and a V8 in the LJ.
    Good post. I've been toying with a new rubi but if the motor isnt up to snuff pulling a lightweight trailer with a 50k price tag I dont think I'm going to be very happy. Going diesal for another 4k isnt going to make me happier. Thinking my only happiness is a V8 and some good axles.

I am trying to respond to your PM, Tim, but I keep getting the following message:

"3rdjeep has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    I am trying to respond to your PM, Tim, but I keep getting the following message:

"3rdjeep has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."
    I already told him how to fix it in another thread. lol

97 Cherokee- NP242 T-Case/skid plate, front/rear skid plates, tow package, RC 4.5" LA lift, locked f/r,chromos, trussed 8.8-30,410s, dual steering stabilizer on 33x12.5 mud claws on 15x10 rims. Custom sliders, fender flares, winch bumper & 9k lumen light bar.

I think it's fixed, to receive PM's. Thanks. Tim

OTR, twisty, and all, thanks for your comments. I don’t deserve your kind comments about being safe. I ride a motorcycle to work and probably clinically have a death wish. I just don’t want to wear out my JK brakes pads prematurely, I hate doing brake work. If I figure out this 1st world problem (as opposed to 3rd world problem), we should do a camping trip.

Why do you guys feel the need to bring so much stuff? I am a minimalist. Cot, sleeping bag and an ice chest. Maybe a tarp if there is rain or dew.

ehall, does this work in Arizona? I don't know. In Ohio, this would work. But out here we've got cougars, snakes, bear, elk, some wolves. I was face to face with a cougar several years back.

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    Why do you guys feel the need to bring so much stuff? I am a minimalist. Cot, sleeping bag and an ice chest. Maybe a tarp if there is rain or dew.
    Like me, A 36 ft toyhauler, 2 AC units, 5500 watt generator, 120 gallons of fresh water...

If I go on this trip, I'll sleep in the bed of the truck on a cot pad in a sleeping bag.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

I usually just string a hammock between a tree and the rollbar. Rig a tarp with a rope or two in the rain.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ehall, does this work in Arizona? I don't know. In Ohio, this would work. But out here we've got cougars, snakes, bear, elk, some wolves. I was face to face with a cougar several years back.
    Lol. We starting going out camping on our bicycles when we were in 6th grade. Never a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nutt View Post
    I usually just string a hammock between a tree and the rollbar. Rig a tarp with a rope or two in the rain.

I like it.

Name:  20180608_201821.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  838.1 KB

My 4 year old grandson and i last saturday night.

Last Father's Day

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information