Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Camping with a JKU - Trailer or Roof tent

Re: Camping with a JKU - Trailer or Roof tent

$11k? Thats nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    $11k? Thats nuts!
    That’s cheap compared to a Patriot trailer from Oz. $40k ish. Super nice trailers though.

I paid less than that for my TJ and my cabover (which has a bed, heater, AC, shower toilet, etc..)

I have about $2,000 in mine. Not as fancy, but it serves me very well.
    2010 2 door Rubicon, 37x12.5 MTR's, Terraflex 2.5" lift, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, Smittybuilt XRC bumbers and sliders, Warn 9500 Powerplant winch, Dual tops, Hard and soft doors, Superchip, ...and the list will grow.

Camping with a JKU - Trailer or Roof tent

Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    I paid less than that for my TJ and my cabover (which has a bed, heater, AC, shower toilet, etc..)
    Donít forget the price of the truck to put the cabover on. But 11k is still nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    87 YJ, 4" spring under,35 mud, Dana 44 front eaton E-Locker, Ford 9" detroit locker, Flip dana 300, Fuel injected, Stroker motor, OBA, full roll cage

Quote Originally Posted by dzrtrataz View Post
    Don’t forget the price of the truck to put the cabover on. But 11k is still nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JKU and trailer would cost more than my diesel truck, cabover, trailer and TJ

Having money to burn is pretty cool in my book. Life is short, make it more fun... buy toys. lol

Hello. Iíve got a trailer towing question. Any thoughts on whether or not trailer electric brakes would be necessary for towing a small 800 lb trailer, being towed by a 2018 JK Unlimited? Thanks for your consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdjeep View Post
    Hello. I’ve got a trailer towing question. Any thoughts on whether or not trailer electric brakes would be necessary for towing a small 800 lb trailer, being towed by a 2018 JK Unlimited? Thanks for your consideration.
    I wouldn’t worry about it.

Thanks. Is it possible to install a brake controller on a Jeep Wrangler JK 2018 and convert the 4 pin connector (already installed Jeep Trailer Tow package) to a 7 pin connector. Earnhardt parts department tells me that Jeep does not make such a brake controller for the JK and does not recommend the installation of an aftermarket brake controller. Should I leave my connector as a 4 pin connector, forget a brake controller on a JK. Any experience with this? Thanks.

Jeep makes a wiring harness for a brake controller. Don't remember the details, but I bought one for my 2014 JKUR; never installed it because I didn't like the combination of JKUR on 35's and the MOAB trailer on the highway. Additionally, after 4 Wheel Supply put the MetalCloak lift on and didn't move the evap canister over, it snagged the rubber sleeve on the drive line and ripped it off. Never could get the vibration out of it with the aftermarket drive shafts. Finally gave up and sold the JKUR and the trailer.

here is the link to my MOAB trailer build, some of it might help you with your decision. http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...ild&highlight=
    Last edited by Tortured Metal; 06-12-2018 at 07:38 PM.
    Burn it and beat on it

^^since you've had all the setups which did you like best?

Thanks for your info. Just pulling through the week of work hardening so I can get some serious annealing in the Arizona sun this weekend to remove all that residual stress - no better way.

^^
    Nothing ticks all the boxes.

Everything considered, I preferred the Dodge diesel and pop-up camper with the LJ on a trailer behind it. It has its limitations but it was the most flexible and easy to travel. Lack of space and no indoor toilet were minuses, but not too bad. The MOAB trailer was great, but pulling it with the JKUR sucked.

Age and health becomes a factor though. We now have a F250 diesel pulling a 25' toyhauler with a RZR inside. Pretty comfortable, but the RZR is the minus in this case. Currently building up yet another (the 3rd one) LJ; who knows how we will gear up around that. Maybe another MOAB type trailer and a V8 in the LJ.
    Burn it and beat on it

Quote Originally Posted by Tortured Metal View Post
    ^^
    Nothing ticks all the boxes.

Everything considered, I preferred the Dodge diesel and pop-up camper with the LJ on a trailer behind it. It has its limitations but it was the most flexible and easy to travel. Lack of space and no indoor toilet were minuses, but not too bad. The MOAB trailer was great, but pulling it with the JKUR sucked.

Age and health becomes a factor though. We now have a F250 diesel pulling a 25' toyhauler with a RZR inside. Pretty comfortable, but the RZR is the minus in this case. Currently building up yet another (the 3rd one) LJ; who knows how we will gear up around that. Maybe another MOAB type trailer and a V8 in the LJ.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I have a F250 diesel with a Lance Cabover and TJ on the trailer. I agree on it not being perfect, but it does check many boxes.

I just dont see spending the $$ on anything that doesnt have a toilet/shower. I could care less about sleeping in a tent, but need to be able to poop and shower. Especially with the wife and kiddo.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information