Thread: Tortoise weather

Blog Entries

Tortoise weather

Its gotten hot, and while that drives me and my kids inside, my tortoise is loving it.

Re: Tortoise weather

Love it! What's the diameter on that guy's shell now?
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Blog Entries

She's just smaller than my hand, so 5 1/2-6"? still a baby, but she grew a TON last summer, and I expect her to grow a lot this one too. She's now in a 8x14' enclosure, a BIG upgrade from her previous 4x4 enclosure.

We have the following growing for her to nibble at her leisure:
    Bermuda grass
    Dichondra
    wild flowers
    Hibiscus
    snail vine
    water mellon
    broccoli
    corn
    squash
    radishes
    peas

and other things I cannot think about, we kinda went crazy with our seeds, and anything on her safe list was planted. her water dishes are also set up with the drippers, so she has fresh water every day.

it was just a rocked section of the yard, so we raked rocks into piles, which she climbs up and down when she's out. I'll try to catch a picture of her basking, its pretty funny - legs, and head stretched out as far as they can go with her eyes closed.

Because her most active hours are between 9am and 11am, so unless I'm working from home, I miss seeing her out most days, which is unfortunant.

Blog Entries

this is a couple of weeks ago, the stormy weather really gets her going, I'll have to take an updated picture of her den, she's dug it about 2 1/2 feet deeper than what I had dug it down originally, and has a nice pile of dirt in front of her house.

I"ve a friend who has a monster, Turbo is about 2ft to 30inches in diameter, and one of the friendliest guys i've been around, he likes to come up and bump you, amazing how fast he can move and quietly, he has a huge yard with as you have a lot of proper eats. My friend is the second owner, his pops grew turbo from a spud, and in fact their is a trust set up for him, as he will probably outlive Ed, the owner now,
    He does escape once in a while burrowing under a section of fence, and gets out in the hood, the neighbors all know him and he is always found quickly, not sure how they move him, hes a monster, and he is a desert tortoise, not a sulcata, if one would they can qualify to take one from the rescue joint up on the north 117, we did not due to our having way too many dogs, oh well, sure was a gaggle of them needing homes.
    Rj

Blog Entries

Wow that is a big desert tortoise. The people that we got ours through (in a very round about way) their biggest was ~15lbs, and just bigger than a football in length (what is that, 18"?)

if you can show that your yard is sufficient, then game and fish will give you one to adopt for free. Ours is kept in that 8'x15' area simply because our kids are still so small. I'm afraid of them stepping on her, or hurting her by accident, or letting her out the gate. so she's in that area, we let her out often, to roam around the yard, but only under close supervision. I want to eventually put in a zero edge fountain pool for her at some point. but not any time soon. yeah, ours is in our will, goes to my parents, till my son is old enough, and then she's his if anything happens to us.

Thread Information