Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electrician needed

Re: Electrician needed

Capacitor blown there for pulling too much amperage therefore throws the circuit breaker
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

Quote Originally Posted by OlneyJeeps View Post
    Capacitor blown there for pulling too much amperage therefore throws the circuit breaker
    Or itís just an old breaker with a bad connection in the panel . The buzzing it the electricity arcing from the buss bar. I change at least one of these a week for the same issue

Allen the pool light breaker could be a problem because the connection from the other one has spread. Iíve seen it where one bad breaker has gone thru several others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

when breaker is overloaded (short, bad motor, etc) will buzz before trips. Arc from dirty connection is sizzle.

Either way, swapping a breaker to test theory is what? 5 minutes?
    pulling capacitor cover = two 5/16 (maybe 1/4) screws, pull wires off with INSULATED needle nose pliers =3min?

both together= less time than calling electrician (or typing this )
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

A lot of good info here. Check to see wether or not your pool equipment is getting power. Best to do this with a multi meter. If no power and the breaker is buzzing. Highly possible that your breaker is bad. I would take the cover off and see if there is power on the lugs on the breaker. Try not to hit the flapper.

If you do have power at the pool equipment check amperage when the equipment is running or trying to run. You need to compare that to the FLA and LRA ratings of the motor.

If you need more help DM me and we swap numbers. Iím sure itís nothing a 6 pack canít fix

Steve Olney nailed it. Do what he said. Disconnect wires at pump. If "buzzing" is still there, its probably a short in conduit. I suspect thats your problem. Its a dead short caused by a broken wire underground.

I doubt you have a bad breaker causing it.

If you need an electrician, I use Spring and Sons or Hagerty electric. Google will find them for you..
    RIP The Tetanus Shot

wow, from master pool person

Once again, I would lean to betting that run / start capacitor is bad... carefull, they can zap you even with power off. Although theoretically they can be discharged with light bulb (or just screwdriver across poles?), I would never tempt fate and touch contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by OlneyJeeps View Post
    wow, from master pool person

Once again, I would lean to betting that run / start capacitor is bad... carefull, they can zap you even with power off. Although theoretically they can be discharged with light bulb (or just screwdriver across poles?), I would never tempt fate and touch contacts.
    Capacitors do go bad and cause the breaker to trip when the motor starts. But I would say less than 50% of the time a new cap fixes it. Motors get damaged from hard starting, and probably has been for a while as the cap was dying. But for less than $20 its worth a try.

Use a screwdriver with insulated handle across the terminals to discharge the old and new cap. They can light you up if youre not careful.

But if I was a betting man I would say its not the cap and is a wiring problem.
    RIP The Tetanus Shot

Bad cap will typically not make a breaker to hum nor would a dead short. Also testing the cap would require a multi meter that can read microfarad. I have been doing electrical and hvac work for the last 15 years. Seen my fair share of bad caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottamfamily View Post
    Bad cap will typically not make a breaker to hum nor would a dead short. Also testing the cap would require a multi meter that can read microfarad. I have been doing electrical and hvac work for the last 15 years. Seen my fair share of bad caps.

Ive had many service calls where the wires vibrate or hum inside the conduit. Its almost always a broken/corroded wire in conduit. I call that a "dead short", but maybe my terminology is wrong.
    RIP The Tetanus Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Ive had many service calls where the wires vibrate or hum inside the conduit. Its almost always a broken/corroded wire in conduit. I call that a "dead short", but maybe my terminology is wrong.
    Ok. Yea. I would refer a dead short to a complete short to ground and would cause the breaker to trip. If there is corrosion the resistance is increased causing vibration/humming.

Did this get fixed?
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by Cottamfamily View Post
    Ok. Yea. I would refer a dead short to a complete short to ground and would cause the breaker to trip. If there is corrosion the resistance is increased causing vibration/humming.
    Corrosion in the under ground wiring, the electrician has a bunch of our side yard dug up. He's confident that this will be going soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    Did this get fixed?
    In process right now.

At least it isnít all that hot out today.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Well lookie there. I am still shocked on how with so little water ďrainĒ there is corrosion in the line in the ground. Never really had that issue on the east coast and we ran power to the ac unit under ground all the time. There are certain things this state throws at you that I would have never experienced in a east coast climate. Is that an issue with pool equipment or most underground wiring??

All good now.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information