Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New plasma table build

New plasma table build

Just because nobody ever posts in this forum anymore. here is one of my latest projects

Sold the 2x2 torchmate and esab 1300 plasma to another jeep guy so i can get a bigger table for the new shop. I wanted to go with a Precision Plasma LLC gantry setup and build the table myself to save some money. This project has been going for a few months but figured i would make a thread now that its starting to take shape.

I picked up a 6x10 gantry kit used from a guy whos had it sitting on a shelf for a few years and never built a table. He was in ATL so we arranged some shipping and after it was said and done, i saved a few grand vs buying something new from PPLLC. The gantry is the HD one so its built off the 80/20 Extrusion so it was super easy to put together and is light. https://www.8020.net/

Here is the Z axis from PPLLC. It has a built in limit switch on the torch holder.

Laying out all the nuts and bolts for the gantry.

I put the sides of the gantry together first. Easy stuff with the T-Slots. Just finger tight on everything for now

Then I put together the belt reduction units for the X and Y axis.

In order to get the rest of the gantry together, I needed to weld up some of the track. They come in 6 pieces and I needed 66 for the X axis. Clamped some of the other track to it so all the teeth line up and TIG welded it. This track gets stuck with some 3m double sided tape to the back of the 80/20

Getting the track mounted and the rest of the gantry pieces together.

Re: New plasma table build

Looked like this at the end of that day

Moved it to the bench and attached the gear reduction units

The electronics showed up and I laid it all out in the shop. Got the PC hooked up and everything half *** plugged in. Using CANDCNC 620 package. Its a pretty bomb proof setup and after plugging in a few cords and reading through the manual, I had the motors spinning on the bench and everything seemed to be functioning properly. Not going to mount it until the gantry is on the table.

I did have to have a plate made for me for the Z axis mount. The guy I got the kit from didn’t have it even though it should have came with it. No prob, Ron at PPLLC sent me a DXF and I had somebody local cut it. Bent it 90* at letzroll and it fits just fine. Had to mount it up so I can roll it around.

Started laying out the table and getting it square last night. Its not fully welded yet because after welding on it, it came out of square by 3/8ths. No clue how since I checked it after getting heavy tacks on everything and having it within 1/16 after welding 2 sides but apparently the other 2 inside welds pulled it hard. Didn’t notice until the legs and base were tacked up and half burned in too. Going to have to figure out what to do. I could technically leave it since the rails that sit on top of this are what the gantry rides on and as long as those are square, the base doesnt matter much. Other wise, I would have to cut and grind all the welds out and start over, which I really don’t want to do. On the plus side, it is level.

Very cool!

Holy chit man that thing is going to be yuuuuge.
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Cool shop!!
    Get Down With the Sickness!

I may have said this before, but if you're going to use stepper motors instead of servos I can hook you up.

Let me know when you're ready to start cutting, I have this idea I've been working on.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    I may have said this before, but if you're going to use stepper motors instead of servos I can hook you up.

Let me know when you're ready to start cutting, I have this idea I've been working on.
    they are steppers, already have the motors. bought one of the candcnc packages to keep it simple. More expensive, but its a one stop shop with support if i need it.

Cool! An adult erector set

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Cool shop!!
    thanks. Still a work in progress. lots left to do.

Quote Originally Posted by aribelin View Post
    Cool! An adult erector set
    pretty much. Not hard to do, just time and money.

Worked on the table this weekend.

Got the rails drilled, tapped and mounted. Spliced the gear rack together with the tig welder and got it cleaned up with scotch bright and acetone. Did the same to the mounting surface under the Rails and 3m taped them in place. Got the rails in place and squared up. Stitch welded the Rails to the table keeping the heat low due to the 3m tape. I should have done it the other way around, but whatever. Mounted the gantry and got it somewhat square. Needs final adjustment once its all together. Started welding out the water table but ran out of time sunday for family dinner.

doesnt look like much, but lots of changes since the last picture.

hooked up electronics last night. I wanted to do the water table but need extra hands to help me flip it over and move it around. It sure isnt light!

2 pictures of progress

water table is welded and done. Filled it with some water and found a few pin holes. Need to crawl under it tonight and patch them up.

electronics done and working. ohmic sensor is functioning. software needs some tuning still

Nice work!
    Is the water table stainless or will you need to use rust preventive coating?
    Get Down With the Sickness!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information