Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearm accountability.

Firearm accountability.

Lots of talk about holding people accountable for the crimes committed with guns stolen from them. That will be a mess. It's going tobe hard to fight though. It's being worded as "responsible gun owners do not leave their guns where they can be stolen". Huge discussions happening right now all over about this. People, the Left, are starting to use the right's words against them. You have the right to keep and bear arms, but the 2A doesn't say you can do it irresponsibly. If I'm following it correctly, I won't be able to leave my gun in the truck when I'm not in the truck. Or, on the coffee table, mantle, etc.. If it's for my personal protection it needs to be on my person. That is the only gun they are not targeting, the one you are carrying. All others must be in a locked case or have a trigger lock applied.

Here is a link to a bill that may hold dealers and manufacturers accountable.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...house-bill/163

This bill amends the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act to repeal provisions that prohibit state or federal civil actions or administrative proceedings from being brought against firearm or ammunition manufacturers, sellers, importers, dealers, or trade associations for criminal or unlawful misuse of a firearm by the person bringing the action or a third party.
    This is going to get messy.

One of the driving factors is there are around 200K guns reported lost or stolen each year. It's believed that many of those guns are winding up in the hands of people who should not have one, or could not purchase one. Many feel it's a method for straw purchases to succeed.
    Last edited by OTR-93YJ; 03-05-2018 at 06:19 PM.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Re: Firearm accountability.

OK... my biggest push against that is.... If I carry it... and one of my stops for the day is say a courthouse, police station, school... some gun free/prohibited area... where does my gun go? I cannot secure it more than lock it in my car... or do I need a reinforced steel cage for my gun in my car? what if the whole car is stolen?
    will these places provide me a locker for my gun free of charge?

responsible sure... but there needs to be some reasonability... ouch.
    93' 2.5L YJ 8.8 4.88 33's E-Locker & LSD

WTB- co2 handle/valve guard for 5# tank.

This indeed is going to get messy, it could entail, the rights of business owners, the fed and state and county governments, if they provide a hardship on the carrying or storage of units not allowed, where does the responsibility begin and end, with the owner, or the storage provider.

Example: I'm a gun collector, have a couple FFLS lic. i have shipped to me via usps, and several other venues per legal requirements. Now in the last four years have had 5 collectable units dissappear from the local post office, while i had insurance it in now way covers the loss of the intended collectable. So where does this responsibility lie, with the storage or delivery service or with the buyer.

I do not think it will hold water, the attempt to hold individuals responsible.
    If it is chosen to go this route, then we need to begin to hold each politician, each leo, fireman, city employee, ect responsible for their actions, their time when in company vehicle,
    as noted its a sticky slope, and once opened, could create more issues than the supposed obama care, but i can see some of the idgits, wanting to pass such a bill just to see what;s in it.

happy tuesday
    Rj

It will be a great way to get people to not report when a fire arm is stolen. The metrics for stolen firearms will show a large drop. Success will be claimed. Of course, when the Police do come across a stolen gun they won't know because no one reported it stolen. Criminal gets to keep stolen gun.
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

Quote Originally Posted by Will E View Post
    It will be a great way to get people to not report when a fire arm is stolen. The metrics for stolen firearms will show a large drop. Success will be claimed. Of course, when the Police do come across a stolen gun they won't know because no one reported it stolen. Criminal gets to keep stolen gun.
    And if the gun was purchased through a dealer and used in a crime by said criminal, they will knocking on the door of the person that bought it. Then they will be asking why it wasn't reported as lost or stolen. Since it wasn't reported lost or stolen, it is still yours, turn around and place your hands behind your back.

This is not the time remain silent. Our Congress needs to hear from us. They need to hear possible solutions, not just the "leave my guns alone" or the "law abiding only follow the laws" or enforce the laws already on the books.

Florida senate passed the 21 age limit, the ban on bump stocks, and allowing teachers (some) to be armed.

This **** is going to happen.

gun is stolen... say you sold it... forget who you sold it to?

oh and don't forget... you're gonna need uninsured gun owner insurance, underinsured gun owner insurance, collision, comprehensive, rental gun coverage?

How about we just hold the system (gubermint) responsible for the protection of said citizens, its their job, is it not when they disarm areas, such as schools, courts, ect. Are not the courts, city hall, and other related areas protected with armed guards, the shooting in schools has been far greater than any attempt of shooting at any city hall, court ect.

give it some thought, even then they can't get it right, take a look at the florida fiasco, the boys in blue, brown or grey, didn't even enter and secure. yeah right, serve and protect, not gonna happen,

from my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    This **** is going to happen.
    As long as we still have the Second Amendment of the Constitution, no it won't.
    I'ma cookin' somethin' up!

Quote Originally Posted by knockonit View Post
    How about we just hold the system (gubermint) responsible for the protection of said citizens, its their job, is it not when they disarm areas, such as schools, courts, ect. Are not the courts, city hall, and other related areas protected with armed guards, the shooting in schools has been far greater than any attempt of shooting at any city hall, court ect.

give it some thought, even then they can't get it right, take a look at the florida fiasco, the boys in blue, brown or grey, didn't even enter and secure. yeah right, serve and protect, not gonna happen,

from my cold dead hands.
    I'm sure there are army's of lawyers lined up to represent the families of the dead and wounded in the Florida shooting. The .gov will be held accountable for that one. People are soon going to realize how vulnerable soft targets are. many of us have known all along, but there's still some who don't get it. Simply allowing qualified school employees to carry concealed will deter a lot of school issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TanTJJim View Post
    As long as we still have the Second Amendment of the Constitution, no it won't.
    The second amendment protects our rights to keep and bare arms. Doesn't do a thing to prevent regulation such as training and holding people accountable for irresponsible actions associated with gun ownership.

I think the laws will be "cannot purchase" unless you are over 21. Straw purchases are already illegal, so by making it 21 to purchase they just made it so that 18-20 YO's will have a hard time getting a gun. However, their rights to keep and bear arms has not been taken away. If you have an 18 yo son and you trust him with your gun, he can use it. If he does something wrong with it, you may be held accountable for his actions. I hope I'm wrong, but this is how I see it going. Unless the people of this country wake up and vote these idiots out.

The scary part is our President will completely support any legislation that requires accountability and promotes responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
    gun is stolen... say you sold it... forget who you sold it to?

oh and don't forget... you're gonna need uninsured gun owner insurance, underinsured gun owner insurance, collision, comprehensive, rental gun coverage?
    I forgot who I sold it to.
    You did not get any info from the person you sold it to?
    No.
    Why not?
    He looked okay to me.
    You sold a reverberating carbonizer with mutate capacity to an unlicensed cephalopoid, Jeebs, you piece of ****.

All of that will be covered in the accountability legislation. The "private sale" has been long protected simply because we cannot be held accountable for the actions of others. If that changes, as far as firearms go, the private will cease without the .gov ever taking action against it. All sales will go through dealers, or LEO, simply to release liability.

holding someone accountable for an inanimate item, yeah, like thats something that will work. its the person, people or individual who is responsible not the tool, if that was the case, every car in every accident, each manuf. would be held accountable, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by knockonit View Post
    holding someone accountable for an inanimate item, yeah, like thats something that will work. its the person, people or individual who is responsible not the tool, if that was the case, every car in every accident, each manuf. would be held accountable, go figure.
    Every car manufacturer has been forced by the government to make their cars safer every year. Those safety modifications account for a decrease in deaths and injuries. And when the manufacturer is found to be at fault, they are held accountable, through recalls and/or lawsuits. Cars are not made to kill. Guns are. We can't use cars as an example. The gun industry may be headed in the same directions.

Does anyone know what the consequences are if an LEO loses their firearm? Lost or stolen, either way. I'd like to know. I hate to think of it, but the .gov may be thinking of holding citizens just as accountable as they do the LEO.

Again, we all know that it's the person pulling the trigger, not the gun. But that statement is ignored now simply because saying it over and over has accomplished nothing. There are many variables in these shootings, they will for a way to mitigate each of them, starting with the easiest to address.

my gun missed for the last time... I left its butt in the desert to walk home... guess it didn't make it?

that's why the 21 thing doesn't bother me as much... but it cant be the only thing we do if we're going to do anything... relating to that I could still give my kid my rifle or handgun to use prior if I trust them.

That's correct. It will only be for purchasing. Hopefully.

And I'm certain leaving your gun in the desert for an illegal alien to find and use would be considered irresponsible.

People are going to realize that our president is not a republican or a democrat, he's a doer. There will be action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information