Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box canyon fun and broken front drive shaft

Box canyon fun and broken front drive shaft

Happy Sunday everyone. We went camping in box canyon this weekend. Lo Phats toyzuki john run gave us the motivation to explore back there. Had a blast. Also broke our front drive shaft. Anyone have a recommendation on where to purchase a new one. I am planning on rebuilding this one and or sourcing one from AMC for now. But I am interested in getting away from the CV style. Any input is much appreciated here. Count us in for any 2 wheel trails for now. Lol. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Re: Box canyon fun and broken front drive shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Cottamfamily View Post
    Happy Sunday everyone. We went camping in box canyon this weekend. Lo Phats toyzuki john run gave us the motivation to explore back there. Had a blast. Also broke our front drive shaft. Anyone have a recommendation on where to purchase a new one. I am planning on rebuilding this one and or sourcing one from AMC for now. But I am interested in getting away from the CV style. Any input is much appreciated here. Count us in for any 2 wheel trails for now. Lol. Thanks!!

There is a plethora of places to buy JKU parts online and local shops around the valley. You can buy an OEM on or have one custom made for more durability.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

97 Cherokee- NP242 T-Case/skid plate, front/rear skid plates, tow package, RC 4.5" LA lift, locked f/r,chromos, trussed 8.8-30,410s, dual steering stabilizer on 33x12.5 mud claws on 15x10 rims. Custom sliders, fender flares, winch bumper & 9k lumen light bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy59 View Post
    There is a plethora of places to buy JKU parts online and local shops around the valley. You can buy an OEM on or have one custom made for more durability.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Yea I am looking to upgrade for more strength. I have heard about Tom Woods but was looking to get some advise from you folks since you all are much smarter then I is.

I have no idea where to start. Whoís good whoís not good. Reliable. Ect. Thanks for your input.

What happened to cause the driveshaft to break?

Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
    What happened to cause the driveshaft to break?
    Actually we were playing in the mud. I knew the front cv on the transfer case side was on the way out. When we pulled back onto the main trail the front flexed funny and threw out all of the grease causing the cv to seize. Since we werenít using 4wheel all weekend we pulled the shaft and went back to camp.

I just donít know what direction to take. Also because the steering needs to be upgraded as well. All the ball joints are pretty toasted. Trying to figure out which project to attack first so that we can still drive it daily and stay on the trails.

Not sure if itís worth trying to rebuild the cv or get a used one for now and address the steering.

Please VJC bestow your knowledge on me.

I have a Tom Woods front and rear drive shafts and they're awesome. No problems and great turn around time
    37's,locked,5.38's,6" lift,4:1tcase,winch,caged

I'd do a take off stock replacement for now because it's cheap and keeps you on the trails and plan on a Tom woods shaft when you're ready to spend the coin.
    I'ma cookin' somethin' up!

Thanks 4WH33LN and TanTJJim

We want to go Tom woods route but like you said with the front end on the primary todo list I was considering the stock option. Anyone rebuild a cv?? YouTube isnít terribly helpful in my 5 min search. Ha. Not sure the involvement in peeling the top off and getting in there. Anyways thanks for the advise. Should I start another thread or ask here about the steering kits. I have been looking at the metal cloak and the teraflex options. Canít really make up my mind. Opinions??? Thanks in advance.

You don't rebuild the cv it just has a c clip that holds it on then the bolts on the yoke and its done. I just got put one last weekend its 45 bucks. I also did one on my other jk and it was still on there a year later when we sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by 67jeepsterguy View Post
    You don't rebuild the cv it just has a c clip that holds it on then the bolts on the yoke and its done. I just got put one last weekend its 45 bucks. I also did one on my other jk and it was still on there a year later when we sold it.
    Great thanks for that. Exactly the info I was looking for!! Much appreciated.

I recommend calling Orin at TAD Shafts in N. Phoenix. They'll build (or rebuild) to suit. http://www.tadshafts.com/

Scott
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Call a couple fab shops around town and see if they have a TO Laying around!
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

One thing to keep in mind is the OEM style with a boot is sealed and requires no upkeep. If you upgrade, you need to get under the Jeep every couple thousand miles and lubricate the shafts.

Life's Short - Play Dirty

Thank you everyone for your input. This is very helpful!!

i usually order rebuild parts from here: http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c457...aft_parts.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information