Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Age Limit on Firearms??

Age Limit on Firearms??

I saw a little snippet of Trump talking this morning about federal background checks and also mentioned having an age requirement of 21 to own the "AR" style rifles.

As much as I'm against ANY new gun control laws, I think I can get behind an age requirement. Give the kids a chance to become thinking/working adults before owning this type of rifle. I know there will always be bad people, and the bad people will always find a way, but I'd to think it might prevent some of these shootings at the schools.

Thoughts??
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Re: Age Limit on Firearms??

Nobody should own those automatic military rifles like what was used in that school shooting. 5000 rounds per second is just too much to be walking around with on the street like that. I saw a news report that he had thousands of 100,000 bullet clips.
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

the sad part is they will do something to the AR type rifle for kids but leave the mini-14 alone

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    Nobody should own those automatic military rifles like what was used in that school shooting. 5000 rounds per second is just too much to be walking around with on the street like that. I saw a news report that he had thousands of 100,000 bullet clips.
    5000 rounds per second?! Was it a laser gun?! Lol
    100,000 bullet clip?! Was he riding in an aircraft carrier? Lol!
    Some times the news exaggerates just a little.

As far as age requirements go, I've never understood why we have different age requirements for different things, 21 to purchase alcohol, gamble, etc. Age 18 to vote and be tried as an adult in court. Age 18 to buy a rifle, but 21 to buy a handgun (from an FFL).

If the age to be considered an adult is 18, then that should be the age to do all things "adult". If that's not old enough for some things, then raise the age of adulthood to be 19, 20, 21, whatever.

No age is perfect, but you have to pick some number.
    2004 LJ, I6, BFG KM2 33s, 3" Teraflex lift, d30/d44, Locked/LSD, 4.56, 8K winch, Rancho rs9000x. - Joe -

Perhaps an 18 year old trying to buy a semi-automatic rifle should go through a bit of extra checking? But realistically, handguns have been used in these events. What we do need to do is stop vilifying the other side, regardless of which side you are on.
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

I'm worried because Trump is a doer. He solves problems or at least takes actions. I think he's going to take some sort of action.

When an 18 yo goes to buy a semi automatic rifle, what "extra checking" should be done? This kid, and the guy that shot up the church in Tejas both slipped through the FBI system. If background checks couldn't stop these two from buying guns, the system is extremely flawed.

But I'm not against age requirements for these types of weapons. There is a lot to be said for maturity. I just think that 21 isn't going to do it. I think I understand why the ages are different for different things. Adult means 18. Smoking at 18 would/should mean the lungs are fully developed and yours to destroy. Voting at 18 is becoming dangerous!! I don't remember why they raised the drinking age to 21.

If they made the age to own an "assault rifle", high cap mags, semi auto, etc, etc, like 28 or 30, I think it might help. The AR community would/might self police.

Bottom line, this kid was going to kill people. He just chose the easiest route.

A “school policy” went bad.

School Shooting - The rest of the story
    A senior ATF agent sent this and now you know the rest of the story. Gary

Here’s Why Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Never Reported Nikolas Cruz to the Police
    EMAIL
    Nikolas Cruz at his hearing
    Nikolas Cruz was a known threat. Known by the administrators of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. It’s a clear case where a known dangerous student was not reported to the police. Why?
    Because back in 2013, the Broward County School Board adopted a program where they don’t relay information to police about troubled students.
    NPR reported in Fla. School District Trying To Curb School-To-Prison Pipeline;
    It’s a move away from so-called “zero tolerance” policies that require schools to refer even minor misdemeanors to the police. Critics call it a “school to prison pipeline.”
    Under a new program adopted by the Broward County School District, non-violent misdemeanors — even those that involve alcohol, marijuana or drug paraphernalia — will now be handled by the schools instead of the police.
    Cruz was banned from carrying a backpack at school after bullets were found in his backpack. Cruz was expelled from MSD last year after a fight with his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend.
    Non-violent misdemeanors? Even so, red flags were flying.
    Again, the Broward County School Board has an official policy requiring that they don’t tell the police about non-violent incidents with troubled youth.
    “There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus,” Maths teacher Jim Gard told The Miami Herald.
    Let’s look at a law that might cover that.
    784.011 Assault. —
    (1) An “assault” is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.
    (2) Whoever commits an assault shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    So another Liberal Feel Good program once again stepped in the way of the laws we have on the books being effective. Because last I checked, his actions of making threats to students and teachers constitutes assault.
    It is possible that Nikolas Cruz would have been Baker Acted and received the needed medical attention he required before this all happened. But that wasn’t the case and sadly, 17 people lost their lives.

Subject: Re: School Shooting - The rest of the story

This is exactly the position "most" schools take. The administrations resent law enforcement and truly consider resource officers in the school a necessary EVIL! After operating the resource (security) detail for the
    then prestigious Shaker Heights High School in Ohio for 15 years, we began with one officer per day and, at the school's reluctant request increased it to 5 - five - officers per day when I became a lieutenant and
    turned it over to another officer. Our problems were drugs, theft, fights, knives, guns and gangs from other schools in the Cleveland Area.
    The officers who worked the detail were carefully selected and took interest in working with students just as with the community. My wife was particularly adept in this and received hundreds of tips from students,
    as to who was doing what. The admin, however, resented filing charges against students and usually withheld information about crimes, preferring to handle the incidents within, often to the chagrin of a victim's
    parents. Sometimes we had were blamed for part of the problem when we had no idea it had occurred. When it comes to situations such as what happened in Florida school administrators often need only to look
    in the mirror for part of the cause! It looks as if this school's policy didn't GO bad, but began that way!
    GPJ 1*

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    I'm worried because Trump is a doer. He solves problems or at least takes actions. I think he's going to take some sort of action.

When an 18 yo goes to buy a semi automatic rifle, what "extra checking" should be done? This kid, and the guy that shot up the church in Tejas both slipped through the FBI system. If background checks couldn't stop these two from buying guns, the system is extremely flawed.

But I'm not against age requirements for these types of weapons. There is a lot to be said for maturity. I just think that 21 isn't going to do it. I think I understand why the ages are different for different things. Adult means 18. Smoking at 18 would/should mean the lungs are fully developed and yours to destroy. Voting at 18 is becoming dangerous!! I don't remember why they raised the drinking age to 21.

If they made the age to own an "assault rifle", high cap mags, semi auto, etc, etc, like 28 or 30, I think it might help. The AR community would/might self police.

Bottom line, this kid was going to kill people. He just chose the easiest route.
    Yeah, Trump's already pretty pissed at the FBI. I can't help but think he is going to eviscerate them for not doing anything about this dude. I heard this morning that what would have had to happen for the phoned-in tip to have been acted upon is as follows:
    - Caller tips off FBI call center (which is not staffed with agents, btw).
    - FBI call center determines jurisdiction and then either calls or emails local FBI field office
    - Local FBI field office (in this case Miami) determines which police department has jurisdiction over the subject of the complaint and then either calls or emails their contact with that PD
    - Local PD then decides whether to investigate or ignore the complaint.

Unfortunately, the FBI call center didn't do any of that. They never even forwarded the complaint to anybody. Sad.
    -
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    I saw a little snippet of Trump talking this morning about federal background checks and also mentioned having an age requirement of 21 to own the "AR" style rifles.

As much as I'm against ANY new gun control laws, I think I can get behind an age requirement. Give the kids a chance to become thinking/working adults before owning this type of rifle. I know there will always be bad people, and the bad people will always find a way, but I'd to think it might prevent some of these shootings at the schools.

Thoughts??
    trump is just trying to give the industry a boost. sales have been declining because since obama left and hillary didn't get elected. at least that's what i read in an article i skimmed over about the remington bankruptcy. trump backs a little legislation that most people agree with or can at least live with, he does "something" compared to obama who did nothing, and the industry gets a little financial shot in the arm because people are not as confident that trump will keep the status quo on gun laws. the dude is a genius.
    the early bird gets the worm........but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I'm afraid we have created an entire culture that coddles kids and wants to protect them from the world for as long as possible. This is counterproductive. In most western countries, the drinking age is 18. Here it is 21 because we think that keeping them away from alcohol will benefit them. In fact, it does the opposite. It's a case of forbidden fruit. If we tell them they can't have it, they want it even more. European countries have a lower rate of alcoholism and they allow their kids to drink legally at 18 and even younger than that with parental permission. In this country, they are forced to have underground parties and they get stupid. If they were allowed to do it legally, they would learn to drink responsibly. When I was in college, the drinking age was 18 and it was not uncommon to meet a professor for a beer in the rathskeller at lunch to discuss your course requirements or grades. You went back to class, no harm, no foul.

In the case of an AR-15, I might be able to consider restricting purchase or ownership by a person under 21 but would certainly oppose restricting their ability to learn to use an AR or AK safely at a range with a parent or certified instructor.

Back in upstate NY, it was not uncommon for a student to show up to school with a rifle on the rack in the pick-up truck and leave it in the parking lot all day. This was an accepted practice as kids would be out hunting before or after class or would have need of the rifle around the farm. All of that changed after Columbine. There are still lots of good kids out there. In fact, the majority are good. We, as a society need to do a better job of identifying and working with those who are troubled. No amount of laws or restrictions will succeed unless we devote time, money and talent to working with kids and helping them mature rather than protecting them from the world forever.

Life's Short - Play Dirty

Its called consequences for bad behavior, you don't give them a participation ribbon for being bad or not trying at all.

Once the punishment fits the crime of any sort, it will decrease, but as long as lawyers and members of society allow bad behavior to continue without punishment, well, this is where we are.

Something the ole man told me when growing up. " you do something wrong, and you know its wrong to do, you have already accepted the punishment" I lived by it, as punishment was not a wag of the finger, or a threat to take me phone away, it was real, and physical.
    just saying
    none of this had to happen, if someone had put their phone down, shut off the computer and actually chatted with the guy to see what made him tick,
    too late now, and many young Americans will not enjoy the freedoms, we all will, one of which is to own and bear arms, as it too will become a note in history.
    rj

We, as a society, created these shooters. But it wasn't easy. It took many steps, and none of the steps alone caused the problem, it was the combination of them all.

1. We took away the ability of the teachers to discipline our children. Our children spend as much time with the teachers as they do us, if not more. Then we took away the ability of the parents to discipline their own children. CPS being called whenever a kid is hit by his parent, etc.

2. We took Prayer and the national Anthem out of the school and out of the children's lives. Even if you are not a believer in God, you still know that children raised in the faith and honoring the flag have deeper morals and understand sin and right from wrong. Even if they grow up and change their beliefs. Suicide is a sin. Teen suicide is way to common now.

3. We, as a society, not only allowed the gang-banging lifestyle to spread, we glamorized it. We let our children listen to it's music, let the lyrics replace all of the things they had learned.

4. We, as a society, used the play station as a babysitter. It's easier to sit the kid in front of the TV and let them play a game then it is to spend quality time with them. The games are full of violence, teaching that it is fun to kill and is rewarded.

5. Mood controlling drugs- Kids given these drugs at a young age and then escalated to other drugs that are very dangerous when they cannot take them. When these kids become of age, their parents medical insurance no longer covers the drugs. They can't afford it, neither can the child. The parents give up and hope for the best.

There are more, too many to list. The disastrous foster system, The ignoring of calls for help in the CPS and other orgs that are supposed to help children. Divorce, no fault states allowing parents to just give up and leave with little to no consideration or assistance to the children. Social media- Did we really think kids can handle social media? Especially after we took most of the social classes out of the schools.

There's no doubt that everyone reading this disagree with at least one of the points listed above. That's why I say that not one of them alone caused this issue.

Everyone in the press and in the government say they want a cure. Well, we're going to have to reverse most, if not all, of the points above. It took 25 years to accomplish this mess. It'll take that, if not more, to correct it.

Sorry for the long rant.

Whoa there OTR. That's a lot of blame you are throwing around.

I'm an atheist from divorced parents who grew up playing violent video games and listening to violent rap music. Done my share of drugs too. I'll put my morality up against anyone and come out squeaky clean I guarantee it. Same for most of the people I hang out with.

There are crazy a holes out there, always have been always will be. What might help is not giving them such easy access to such deadly weapons. Obtaining a firearm should be like getting a pilot's license. It should take training, expense, expertise. I think it's nuts that anyone who wants to could out tonight and legally buy an AR in a parking lot with cash.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post

What might help is not giving them such easy access to such deadly weapons. Obtaining a firearm should be like getting a pilot's license. It should take training, expense, expertise. I think it's nuts that anyone who wants to could out tonight and legally buy an AR in a parking lot with cash.
    Who gets to decide? what if "they" deem you or i crazy by whatever criteria some bureaucrat comes up with? Our hobby doesn't make sense to most people. if it's a test it can be easily undermined. i hear what you're saying but i don't think it can be as easy as it sounds. i can see people losing their rights that don't deserve to.
    the early bird gets the worm........but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information