Thread: Project: AZROCKCRAWL

Project: AZROCKCRAWL

Round 6:

Well, my buggy is sold and my tax bill is paid. Time to figure out what to do next. Hard to compete with my last buggy;however, I have a pretty good idea on whats coming next. I expect this project to take awhile considering the BOM and costs. My goal for now is 18 months or less, depending on a few factors. I'll use this to document the process as it worked well last time.

Without further ado (stole this picture from the interwebs mine still needs to be welded up) :

General Specs:

Chassis: RedDot
    Motor: Crate LS3
    Trans: SuperHydra TH400 (unless i can fit the new Super80 and its out)
    Axles: Spidertrax 40 spline stuff
    Thirds: GearWorks 10"
    Tires: 42" Reds

Going to go through withdrawals from wheeling...but definitely excited to start this process :-D
    Last edited by leetevo; 02-20-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    IG: AZROCKCRAWLER

Re: Project: AZROCKCRAWL

Shouldn't this thread be in the for sale section of the forum?

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    18 months and 6 days from now I will move it :-D

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post

so why the change? didnt like the portals? chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by ShmUDE View Post
    so why the change? didnt like the portals? chassis?
    This is some what complicated. In general, this buggy was awesome and I’m somewhat sad to see it go.

I can tell you that I ran these portals HARD. At more then one point, my tires folded in half with forward momentum. If my friends actually paid their bets, I’d have won enough money to pay for a second buggy. They are strong and work well. 99% of the info out there on this setup is inaccurate or wrong. Are the indestructible? No. Do they have there annoyances. Yes. Do they outshine in places? Of course. Would I run them again, absolutely.

The only issues with the portals were the following:

1. One of my first outings, on a unicorn trail no less, I cracked a spur gear while climbing a massive undercut. That gear was original to the portal box and cost me $50 to replace. I replaced them in all the boxes and never had an issue again.

2. The portal gear inspection plate has a brake caliper bracket bolted to it. This would leak between a combination of inadequate hardware and the portals not having a vent. So We vented them and put in longer hardware and use RTV Green for the gasket and it worked like a champ.

So why sell:

1. While my buggy isn’t a JHF Goatbuilt buggy, the resemblance is pretty close. It’s a great looking chassis; however, I know there are going to be dozens upon dozens of them within the next 12-24 months. I didn’t want to be lost in a sea of $35,000 buggys…that all looked pretty much the same as mine. The longer I waited, the more concerned I would be with getting out of it at a price I deemed reasonable.

2. The math on the strength of the axle, is roughly equivlent to a 300m 35 spline shaft. The places were going and the people I’m wheeling with have broken several. Does it happen often? No. But that leads me into point 3.

3. The reduction hubs are HEAVY. If you’re on a garage floor, with a jack, sure, it became easier. Have to fix something on the trail? Going be there for awhile, unless you have some serious help. Well if you never had an issue with them, why did you have to remove them so often? Great question, ARB in the 3rds are my arch enemy. I had more issues with the brazing that I probably will never use an ARB again. #spool.

4. Parts. I had full shafts and a bunch of spares, but its always nice to know your buddy has a set you can use in a pich or vise versa.

5. I really wanted a RedDot. Having wheeled with Kevin and seeing first hand how they do…man I just like them. They really do have similar parts as to my last build...but everything just works. Having the rigs hold up to his abuse is a testament to the build. It’s hard to explain. So #SHINEYOBJECTSYNDROME

6. My Buddy just built one. And it is awesome. I was so stoked for him to get one, that I had to follow suit. They are really that nice. Beautifully TIG welded, I could seriously (and have) spent hours just looking and staring at them.

7. Value. They hold there value really really well.

sub'd!
    Eric - *2004 Wrangler TJ, Coilovers, 2 Speed Atlas, 37" Pitbull Rockers
    *'08 Silver Rubicon JKU 2.5" lift, 5.13's and 35's

Canít wait! Looks like a party

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like to party

+2
    Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    For the record, I'm a douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Shaft size/strength is pretty important.
    "Randabuggy 2.0" in progress

The last couple sentences of Why Sell, Item 3 made me smile! Uck Farb!

Last rig was amazing...new one will be as well. Was fun wheeling with a couple of y'all while I could. WAY outgunned now!
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jacobson View Post
    The last couple sentences of Why Sell, Item 3 made me smile! Uck Farb!

Last rig was amazing...new one will be as well. Was fun wheeling with a couple of y'all while I could. WAY outgunned now!
    Thanks! I can't wait. Going to be a long wait, but worth it.

One of my buddy's shared this with me last week. JHF has sold out of his chassis...so there are going to be quite a few as I thought!

[/url]

ALso. I did place an order for my GearWorks 10" thirds. Upgraded bearings, additional load bolt and 40 spool spline. No more ARB :-D

Quote Originally Posted by leetevo View Post
    Thanks! I can't wait. Going to be a long wait, but worth it.

One of my buddy's shared this with me last week. JHF has sold out of his chassis...so there are going to be quite a few as I thought!

[/url]
    Two of my friends just racked up and welded two of them. They plan to replace their WE Rock comp buggies with these new ones, this season.

The first chassis, down...

Itíll be fun when itís done. Youíll a part of the RedDot crew, soon. Looking forward to it. In the meantime, Iím digging on the new smoker you picked up. Itís beetchin!
    Your buddy got stuck with us, the other day, while trying a new line.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Cool project. Good luck dude! Looking forward to seeing more updates and pic.

Iím getting a bit excited now. One of the best developments, is that Iíve been able to move up my timeframe significantly. So now, Iím hoping to have this project completed by the end of the year. Iím actually being told sooner;however, EOY is probably a safe bet.

As such, Iíve started spending way to much money on parts. Really this is the fun part. Getting to buy parts and have them delivered!

A large part of the spidertrax came in. These are the knuckles with integrated arms. A lot stronger design.

I also picked up the TIG welded chassis. Pretty dang sexy.

New steering wheel. I really liked the feel of this MDI wheel. They stock them over at SDHQ.

C&R radiator out of Indianapolis. This was a custom built piece and man the quality is nice.

My gearworks 10Ē Thirds came in. These are just pretty. 1480 yokeÖoh man #BEEF

Iíve also ordered the motor and quite a few other parts. They will start flowing in in the next couple of weeks. Canít wait!

Thread Information