Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Installing an SYE. I think.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Peoria, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    514

    Installing an SYE. I think.

    Am I installing one or am I not?

    On my previous Jeep I paid some one to do it for me, bought an XJ front drive shaft, had it cut down and balanced and installed it. If i remember correctly at the time the price was about
    1. Yukon SYE $350
    2. Xj front shaft $75
    3. Labor of cut and balance $150
    Total: $535.

    Here is my question and I did search for this before hand and didnt find what I was really looking for.
    Should I pay someone to do it for me, with parts on hand that I know from experience are reliable and someone who is very knowledgeable with doing the conversion?
    Or, do it myself with a kit such as the link below from Teraflex that comes with the drive shaft and do it myself?

    I am very mechanically inclined but haven't actually torn down a 231 transfer case and done this my self yet.
    Sort of doing a pro's and con's list between the two options.

    The kit run's $450 so id be saving about $85 bucks...

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teraflex-SY...hUPXxS&vxp=mtr

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    788

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    Do it yourself for sure, the NP231 is an easy T case to work on, I would see if YouTube has videos and start from there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    I did mine with the transfer case still in the jeep.... just took the rear half off. I'll look tomorrow because there is a special tool for the snap ring that helps a FFFFFFUUUHHHHTTTT ton!

    Also, consider the length of the driveshaft... if you can , look into one of the super short SYE's. I think it's JB Conversions, then just get TAD to make you a shaft or order one from Adam's.
    93' 2.5L YJ 8.8 4.88 33's E-Locker & LSD

    WTB- co2 handle/valve guard for 5# tank.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Peoria, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    514

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
    I did mine with the transfer case still in the jeep.... just took the rear half off. I'll look tomorrow because there is a special tool for the snap ring that helps a FFFFFFUUUHHHHTTTT ton!

    Also, consider the length of the driveshaft... if you can , look into one of the super short SYE's. I think it's JB Conversions, then just get TAD to make you a shaft or order one from Adam's.

    Ughh TAD suckkkks... used them twice and have been hosed by them both times... to each their own but I will never go back there...

    I will look at super short, I donít think I saw that option last time I did this either. Learned something new!!!

    I am fairly confident I can figure this out and Iím sure there are a ton of videos on how to do it. I also have to do a tail shaft seal while Iím in there. Figure if it is going to be off I will just go ahead and do this at the same time!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    check your SYE kit... I think they come with a whole new rear with a tail seal.

    I haven't used them, I just know they are on here IIRC so try and push the forum people a little.

    The issue I run into is hwy speed with the 2.5L and driveshaft speed. Balance and pinion angle are pretty important as most common balance machines can only balance up to @2700-3000rpm on the shaft and the more your pinion angle isn't perfect the less RPM you can wiggle. The longer the driveshaft, the more wiggle room you get as well...
    I believe most shops don't run the machine that high either... it can theoretical balance with only spinning up to 5-600rpm IIRC. like a tire balancer?
    93' 2.5L YJ 8.8 4.88 33's E-Locker & LSD

    WTB- co2 handle/valve guard for 5# tank.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Peoria, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    514

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
    check your SYE kit... I think they come with a whole new rear with a tail seal.

    I haven't used them, I just know they are on here IIRC so try and push the forum people a little.

    The issue I run into is hwy speed with the 2.5L and driveshaft speed. Balance and pinion angle are pretty important as most common balance machines can only balance up to @2700-3000rpm on the shaft and the more your pinion angle isn't perfect the less RPM you can wiggle. The longer the driveshaft, the more wiggle room you get as well...
    I believe most shops don't run the machine that high either... it can theoretical balance with only spinning up to 5-600rpm IIRC. like a tire balancer?

    Huh... interesting!!! Yeah, I used them about 5 years ago so a lot could have changed over at TAD...

    I legit know nothing about the balancing process so thatís news to me on the rpm range they balance at. I am changing my rear controls arms this weekend to adjustable as my pinion is super off. Somehow it works, just doesnít make me feel warm and fuzzy when I see it..

    I will double check the syeís. If they come with the tail shaft seal for my trans that would be awwwwesome.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    so there is only $85 difference to let a pro do it rather than yourself? You did not factor in your time/cost for you to do it. For $85 I would let them do it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Mountain
    Posts
    9,957

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    Here's an Advance Adapters NP231 SYE for $213 from Morris 4x4 https://www.morris4x4center.com/adva...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

    And a Terraflex Super Short for $250 from 4WP: https://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...RoC6gQQAvD_BwE
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ahwatukee
    Posts
    6,014

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by LowOutPut2.5 View Post
    Ughh TAD suckkkks... used them twice and have been hosed by them both times... to each their own but I will never go back there...

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Orin at TAD has helped out many members on here time and time again. Sorry to hear about your experience.

    I also recommend Tom Woods. They built me a shaft within 5 hours and have stood behind the product without question.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Peoria, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    514

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    Orin at TAD has helped out many members on here time and time again. Sorry to hear about your experience.

    I also recommend Tom Woods. They built me a shaft within 5 hours and have stood behind the product without question.
    Like I said, it was 5 plus years ago. Thinks easily could have changed. Idk, so I donít want to trash talk them. Iv said my piece! Lol. I do have $100 Tom woods gift card somewhere.... hmmmm...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NE. Mesa
    Posts
    7,118

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    Here's an Advance Adapters NP231 SYE for $213 from Morris 4x4 https://www.morris4x4center.com/adva...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

    And a Terraflex Super Short for $250 from 4WP: https://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...RoC6gQQAvD_BwE
    i think he was talking with a drive shaft. you can get the kit with tom woods shaft for that 500$ range
    http://www.rustysoffroad.com/advance...riveshaft.html

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Peoria, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    514

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShmUDE View Post
    i think he was talking with a drive shaft. you can get the kit with tom woods shaft for that 500$ range
    http://www.rustysoffroad.com/advance...riveshaft.html
    With or with out the shaft. My thinking was that if they already had the shaft length figured out it would be super nice to install it all in one day rather than installing, measuring, and waiting for the drive shaft shop to return the shaft. However I do worry about the shaft length when purchasing it from places such as this as they have no idea what lift you have and where it will sit in relation to the length you need.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Peoria, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    514

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    Im also someone comes and buys my hardtop sometime soon so I can buy a soft top and have some spending cash left over for this lol.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NE. Mesa
    Posts
    7,118

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    FYI, even if you bought the tom woods shaft, SYE combo, i still think they want a measurement before they build and ship you the drive shaft, so no matter what you'll be down for a few days.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ahwatukee
    Posts
    6,014

    Re: Installing an SYE. I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShmUDE View Post
    FYI, even if you bought the tom woods shaft, SYE combo, i still think they want a measurement before they build and ship you the drive shaft, so no matter what you'll be down for a few days.
    Correct. Tom Woods wants you to measure and then order.

    But Keep in mind after you have the SYE installed you can put it in 4WD and drive with just the front wheels to get around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. help installing some kc lights
    By ahairymole in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 03:23 PM
  2. installing an engine
    By ademster in forum Wrenching Party
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 03:23 PM
  3. Help installing Tie Rod Tube
    By 06GrnRubi in forum Wrenching Party
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 02:13 PM
  4. installing d44
    By STEVE FREEMAN in forum Wrenching Party
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 10:30 PM
  5. Installing my cage
    By jeepin_in_az in forum Wrenching Party
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 08:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •