Thread: Talk me out of, or into radius arms

Talk me out of, or into radius arms

i have a chopped up cj on 1 tons and leaf springs. i'm in the process of 4 linking the rear with coilovers. my plan was to keep running leafs up front for the foreseeable future with the rear 4 link. a while back, a buddy of mine gave me some beefed up, heavy duty radius arm style TJ long arms for my wife's xj. i have since gotten rid of said xj and have these long arms sitting in my garage. i can build all the brackets, track bar, etc for the "jeep long arm" style. i would do the same with a 4 link. the thing is, i already have the radius arm links with johnny joints. does a 4 link perform that much better to spend the extra money on joints and tube to build a 4 link up front?

i know a 4 link will outperform a jeep long arm setup but is it that much of a difference to not take advantage of parts i already have? i only want to do it once. will i regret the long arm setup if that's what i end up doing or will i celebrate all the money i saved?
    the early bird gets the worm........but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Re: Talk me out of, or into radius arms

Do it now. You already have the links and are down to build the rear. Its the right time to do the front. Otherwise you will do the rear and wish you had done the front and will end up being down twice.

Only thing that would make me think twice is are the links the correct length? Did you want to do a front stretch too? Just make sure you arent adding more work than you expected by doing the front now.

Following. I have the Ironman radius long arms on my WJ and so far they are great. Being it's a WJ it might not be comparable to your set up but I haven't been able to find much info to compare to. Seems to flex awesome, and good pavement manors at 7" lift with 35's.

As stated earlier, just four link it now. And when you four link it, double triangulate the front and rear.
    Radius arms are a compromise. I ran them for quit a few years and am happy I made the switch. Radius arms bind against the axle upon droop. As one end goes up and the other goes down, there is torsional twisting of the axle. You'll also have axle swing, on droop, due to the panhard/track bar. That axle movement, out and away from the rig, compromises steering and can mess with your line.
    Four linking can fix a bunch of these issues, if well designed. I prefer double triangulated over single triangulated because it keeps droop steer/rear steer to a minimum.
    Good luck with the revamp.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

One thing that may sway you one way or another is if you're still running a steering gearbox or are running full hydro. Gearbox I'd say do the radius arms with a panhard, full hydro I'd say triangulated 4 link and push the front forward while you're putting in the effort.
    I'ma cookin' somethin' up!

steering is hydro. double ram. 4 linking the front isn't really an option. the budget for this round doesn't include enough for a 4 link front. i have an old set of air shocks so i could do these radius arms for very little money. i'm almost $1000 into parts for my rear and that's with used parts and good deals. i'll probably just stay with leafs until i can 4 link the front. i don't want to put all the time in to using these arms i'm not going to be happy with how they perform.
    the early bird gets the worm........but the second mouse gets the cheese.

That sounds like a good plan. Tom Jacobson ran that setup for a long time and it seemed to work well for him.
    I'ma cookin' somethin' up!

Thread Information