Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about Go-Carts

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Question about Go-Carts

I know this is the quads section, sorry if it doesn't fit here, but figured it was the closest.

I am considering getting an inexpensive 4 seater go-cart, like this one:
    http://www.saferwholesale.com/200-17...seaterdfgk.htm

(Link for reference only)

I read this: https://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/other...f-vehicles.php

But not totally sure what applies towards a go-cart.

Do I need to carry car insurance on it if I do not plan on driving on the road? do I register it like you do a quad? is that just a one time fee (and then a new decal each year?) how much do the decals cost?

anything else I should know about owning this type of vehicle I don't know to ask about since I haven't owned one before?

Re: Question about Go-Carts

That thing looks like crap. Spend your money wisely. Yamaha, Polaris, Can am all make nice sxs that will last and have some resell value.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    That thing looks like crap. Spend your money wisely. Yamaha, Polaris, Can am all make nice sxs that will last and have some resell value.
    those all cost 5-10x the cost of something like above, so yeah, in comparison...
    The point is I am looking for something to last 2-3 years while I save up for a new wrangler to tool around my grandparents farm/parents cabin/when we go camping for the next couple of years. I would lose this much money just on the depreciation of a new sxs. and I don't buy things unless I pay cash i could pay cash for this and throw it away after 3 years and be ahead financially.

anyways, your reply didn't answer any of my questions, so thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
    those all cost 5-10x the cost of something like above, so yeah, in comparison...
    The point is I am looking for something to last 2-3 years while I save up for a new wrangler to tool around my grandparents farm/parents cabin/when we go camping for the next couple of years. I would lose this much money just on the depreciation of a new sxs. and I don't buy things unless I pay cash i could pay cash for this and throw it away after 3 years and be ahead financially.
    Then why not buy something like a used XJ or ZJ? You could get a decent one for the same price, or you could buy a cheaper one for less and use the leftover money to fix it up the way you want it. At the end of your estimated two to three years the depreciation on an XJ or ZJ will be negligible, so, instead of throwing something away, you would then have something of value to trade toward the Wrangler you are dreaming of owning.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    Then why not buy something like a used XJ or ZJ? You could get a decent one for the same price, or you could buy a cheaper one for less and use the leftover money to fix it up the way you want it. At the end of your estimated two to three years the depreciation on an XJ or ZJ will be negligible, so, instead of throwing something away, you would then have something of value to trade toward the Wrangler you are dreaming of owning.
    because My last one was a mechanical nightmare, and I couldn't enjoy it, and it spent far more time broken than ever running properly. I don't want to repeat that.

Quote Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
    because My last one was a mechanical nightmare, and I couldn't enjoy it, and it spent far more time broken than ever running properly. I don't want to repeat that.
    In that case the only response I can offer to you is this: Just as you were cautioned not to buy that mechanical nightmare last time around, you are being cautioned not buy that crap this time around. I respect that you march to the beat of your (occasionally broken) drum, but you might want to consider listening to the advice of others if you do not want to be stuck going around in circles.

Just some food for thought, and obviously no offense intended...

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

AIC- you are absolutely correct! This would be the equivalent to throwing your money away.

Any vehicle driven on county, state or federal maintained roads, including dirt roads that are graded, must be registered as on-highway use vehicles and therefore do require insurance. You have your own way of doing the math, so add the registration, insurance costs, helmets and eye protection, and at least a set of tires to the purchase price and get a total. Then, estimate how many times a year you would actually use it as intended; by that I mean at the folks place and not running down to the corner market just because you can.

Once you have that amount, see what it would cost to rent a SXS for each of those visits. You might be money ahead to rent a nice one that you can enjoy.

The OHV sticker (off road registration) is $25.00. Registration (on road) would probably be less than $15.00, assuming you do it right.

There are some nice YJ's, stock or close to it, for less than 5K.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/c...449232088.html

YJ's are simple. Just don't buy one that has a SOA.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

OK.... so I went through some of this recently as in November.
    I bought a cheap china SXS (170cc 2wd) for my kids to learn on because my oldest is a little princess and needs work... but I digress....

So you NEED to get it titled, which means if you buy it out of state and don't have proof of sales tax paid, you pay 5.6% on your sales to the DMV (goes to the state). If you don't bring a receipt that shows the purchase, you cant get it titled. they should send you a MCO, manufacture certificate of origin which is what you take to DMV with your receipt/invoice whatever.

then, they will ask if you want it registered for OFF ROAD use only, which then doesn't require insurance (still good idea to have because its cheap and kids are not) but CANNOT be driven on public roads AT ALL.
    ON ROAD use, which means full registration cost like a car ... think an extra hundred or 150ish on top of the tax you probably aren't paying, plus you need insurance too.
    or PRIMARILY OFF ROAD, which is up for interpretation by many, that will cost you like $8 to register, but you still have to carry insurance. I BELEIVE, but don't know... the premise for that is that you drive it mostly offroad but maybe drive it to a nearby trail and most of its life is offroad or you test/tune around the neighborhood?

insurance... is about $125/ YEAR. Give or take your carrier and ticket history. You might need insurance proof before you can register it, not sure, I got insurance before I got it titled incase they wanted proof then.

plus offroad decal at $25.
    93' 2.5L YJ 8.8 4.88 33's E-Locker & LSD

WTB- co2 handle/valve guard for 5# tank.

oh, and to further add. I ordered mine in the crate, install wheels, rear coil overs, roll cage, seats etc. Had to get a new speedo sensor, headlight (one didn't work), and small strap piece. All replaced free of charge, but took about 6 weeks to get them.

UPS did deliver it liftgate into my garage, was two pallets long and had to help him because it was way longer than his pallet jack.

Change the fluids after a few days. Keep the battery charged. Remember the carbs are usually tamper proof caps on the a/f mixture. goverened by the CDI box too (easy fix).

There's a lot of different models, search around and call. And how do you plan to transport it? do you have a trailer for it?

Lastly... imo... 170cc for 4 people is gonna be a dog in the dirt, unless its you and 3 kids.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
    oh, and to further add. I ordered mine in the crate, install wheels, rear coil overs, roll cage, seats etc. Had to get a new speedo sensor, headlight (one didn't work), and small strap piece. All replaced free of charge, but took about 6 weeks to get them.

UPS did deliver it liftgate into my garage, was two pallets long and had to help him because it was way longer than his pallet jack.

Change the fluids after a few days. Keep the battery charged. Remember the carbs are usually tamper proof caps on the a/f mixture. goverened by the CDI box too (easy fix).

There's a lot of different models, search around and call. And how do you plan to transport it? do you have a trailer for it?

Lastly... imo... 170cc for 4 people is gonna be a dog in the dirt, unless its you and 3 kids.
    Yes, I plan on trailering it, since we want to go camping but the 6 of us don't fit in my truck, we would tow it behind our flex, and then It would just be me and my older kids in it, my oldest is 8. the flex can tow 3500lbs, so should be plenty to tow one of these, I will need to upgrade my trailer, the one I have is just a 6x4 foot, these have an 8foot wheel base. Being dog slow is not an issue. its just to do some exploring with, and not beat up my truck, since when the time comes I will be selling it as part of buying a wrangler.

There are a TON of options, There is a place that sells them locally in mesa, https://www.advantiauto.com/, they have some kids ones on their website and compared to the ones online the prices are close for the same model, but I think come fully assembled, which would be worth the extra hundred bucks or so especially if they test it out and all the parts are working and its ready to go, but I don't think I want to get a kids one just yet. my son is a bit of a ding bat and doesn't always pay attention to where he's going (teaching him how to ride a bike has been painful, his sisters picked up like fish swimming). I was thinking of stopping by, they don't have any adult 4 seater ones available on their site, just kid ones, so I wanted to see what they have in store/can order, and what their prices would be. I like the one I linked to, in that it seats 4 adults, and it comes in orange. I thought about ordering online, and having it shipped and assembling it myself, but that depends on the price I can get locally (plus it would be nice to have a local dealer to deal with for warranty issues.)

which brand do you have? Is it a tao tao? that seems to be a common brand available even on amazon. what do you think of its overall quality? do you think it will last your daughter a few years? is there anything you don't like about it?

This one is a DongFang, they have 3 versions of basically the same model:
    http://df-motor.com/product_show.asp?id=742
    http://df-motor.com/product_show.asp?id=741
    http://df-motor.com/product_show.asp?id=737

Thanks for your info. I appreciate the recent experience.

But it has Max Power(kw/r/min): 8.3/8000

This is more like what I got - http://df-motor.com/Product.asp?BigC...tility%20Truck based on your links.

Oh the quality is definitely not there like the comparable Polaris. Brand name models are running EFI which is better for power and adapting to elevation/air temp. A few of the nuts that are welded to the frame broke off so I had to hold the backside with a wrench. I read enough to know that while assembling it to blue Loctite everything and regularly check things for loose/missing bolts. I think it'll last a few years at least and then look for an actual 4wd model and have a place that I can use/store a trailer.

I would like the carbs to not be capped on the a/f mixture (you can replace the carb from ebay for around 30)
    I would like a tachometer, not just a speedo/trip
    camber adjustment
    more ground clearance

it will rattle and you can get a lot of that to go away just overtime sorting out where its coming from, what's touching etc.

Oh, dmv doesn't check that its street legal, they assume you make the changes and that's on you. falls under golf cart, probably need to add a horn, windshield you don't need (but some argue different), no turn signals needed, a mirror is, also a light for the motorcycle plate (though its titled under golfcart rules not MC).

Someone local would be good because you would have someone to go through for warranty, but you have to weigh their markup and assembly cost vs ordering it in the crate. It's not hard to put together, you'll just want one extra person to help lift each side to mount wheels and roll it off the crate. for me... comparable model from china local was @1200 more, compareable Polaris was $2600 more.
    I got what I paid for and happy about it.

Blog Entries

Well, as far as price goes.
    From the original price I posted, the price for this go-cart: http://www.saferwholesale.com/Brand-.../tao-gk110.htm
    is the same as this go cart on the local dealer's site: https://www.advantiauto.com/inventor...NCE%21-Mesa-AZ

The dealer's price difference is only $40, and it comes assembled, and I would be able to take care of the dmv paperwork there on site.

so if their price is that aggressive for a model that fits my needs, its a no brainer I think to buy local, but if its over a 15-20% price premium, I'll probably buy online. That's usually my limit for buying local vs buying online.

Yeah, these ones have everything they need to be legal it looks like. I wouldn't bother with a windshield, since we would all be wearing helmets with visors or goggles.

yeah, I'm not expecting champagne on my water budget.

Thanks again for your great information!

lastly.... those are go karts, so check the ground clearance if you want to take them camping or in the grass at all. especially adding weight.

I didn't see a 4 seater on there, only 2 seaters.

Also, do a little google-fu to make sure gokarts follow the same path as UTV's. Just thought of that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information