Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ford 6.0L Engine

Re: Ford 6.0L Engine

Comparison of motors:
    http://www.powerstrokehub.com/compare.html
    Dont forget about the differences in trannies as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    Just buy a Chevy..................
    Chevy officially entered into the "tow rig" realm in 2017, The 2500HD is awesome! 915 ft lbs of torque. $65K OTD. Purchasing any diesel chevy before 2016 is a waste of money. Every one I pulled with overheated the transmission or threw some code that put the truck into a limp mode. They are pretty, just don't use them for towing at or near capacity.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    Chevy officially entered into the "tow rig" realm in 2017, The 2500HD is awesome! 915 ft lbs of torque. $65K OTD. Purchasing any diesel chevy before 2016 is a waste of money. Every one I pulled with overheated the transmission or threw some code that put the truck into a limp mode. They are pretty, just don't use them for towing at or near capacity.
    Agreed, Chevy Diesel are out, can't afford a new one, but an 8.1L would work.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Whatever truck you get, make sure this is the engine you put in it. All the rest are junk.

Name:  Big Engine.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  112.8 KB
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Perfect, that will get the job done.

From what I found out they have no bullet proofed the engine, but they are really trying to make a deal on it. The more I pulled back on wanting it, the more they are wanting to make a deal.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Quote Originally Posted by My1stJeep View Post

From what I found out they have no bullet proofed the engine, but they are really trying to make a deal on it. The more I pulled back on wanting it, the more they are wanting to make a deal.
    Tell them you want to test drive it when it's cold. Get on a road where you can set the cruise at 48-52 mph and let it do it's thing. If it has a shimmy when the engine starts to accelerate it has the stiction issue.

I know several people that have over 300K on the 6.0. I talked to a guy that owns a tow company that said he has over 400K on one. It is doable. Proper maintenance is the key. Can they show that the oil has been changed regularly? When I bought mine they could. It was purchased and serviced at Sanderson Ford.

I won't buy another one.

Ford 6.0L Engine

Both are 4x4, the F350 is the King Ranch, the F250 is more of a base model. Prices are negotiable. I will be asking about the bullet proofing if it was done on the 6.0L.

The 2002 F250 SRW 7.3 is 12k
    The 2006 F350 DRW 6.0 is 15k
    A couple of questions, since you seem sincere about getting a 3/4T or 1T

How soon do you need to step into pulling a big trailer?

Have you spent much time driving a dually around? (Ever try to park one, in Commifornia?).

If you have some time to shop, I believe you can find better deals out there. I also know what a PITA it is to park my CCLB, SRW anywhere. In CA, I take up 1.25 spaces in width and length. Lol.

I knew I wanted a tow rig and through research, I knew what truck I was looking to find. For me, it was a 7.3 from 99.5-01-best 7.3's made... I knew I wanted a ZF6 and didn't want to deal with an auto. I knew I wanted a CC and it had to be white (my ex wife only wanted vehicles that were black or white and black isn't for deserts, IMHO). Took me a couple of months to find mine, but I did.

I bought mine off of PBB and flew to San Jose to buy it. It had been fleet serviced by international. It was a supervisor's truck, who had owned it since new. He ordered the truck specifically to meet his needs.

I flew out to buy a 99.5 F350, CCLB, Lariat, 7.3, ZF6, manual transfer case and manual hubs for $8K. It was set up to tow with a GN hitch and air bags. Drove it home and knew it was going to be a solid truck for me. It has been for the past 7+ years.

7.3's seem to command a hefty price, in these parts. Keep your eyes open. Deals are out there for both 7.3's and deleted/bulletproofed 6.0's. Lots of 6.0 deals out there.

Edit: big changes to the 7.3, occurred in 99 and they were revised, again, in the half year. Pre-99 7.3's are good motors, but lack intercoolers, have a lower pressure/less advanced HPOP, different turbo wheel and intake, etc.
    99's have new intakes, turbo wheels, HPOP's and intercoolers.
    99.5-01's-have revised intakes and more advanced HPOP and the injectors changed a bit.
    01-to the last one, have the same changes, but they went to PCM rods. The PCM rods are not as strong as the chromoly rods and can be a weak link on a built motor.

There are other subtle differences, but that's pretty much covers it.
    Last edited by Huck; 12-20-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

I have time to shop, it won't be until sometime next year, I have not DD a dually, like the stability it will add when towing a 5th wheel or if we go cab over, I currently work from home so not much driving or miles put on my DD.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

4 Bangers Rule

Five months ago Sanderson Ford had a nice dually for sale. It was black, <40k miles and very clean. I just couldn't see driving a dually daily. Parking has got to be a *****!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information