Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford 6.0L Engine

Re: Ford 6.0L Engine

Quote Originally Posted by OLM View Post
    Chris, I've owned all 4. PM me if you want, and I'll give you my perspective on each.
    Kindly take a moment and post your thoughts here so that the rest of the class may also benefit from your experience/knowledge.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    Kindly take a moment and post your thoughts here so that the rest of the class may also benefit from your experience/knowledge.
    Iíve owned an 06 6.0 F350 dually. Had all of the usual problems while the truck was inder warranty. When warranty expired it went into Bulletproof Diesel and got the full package. No more problems as long as I owned it. Wish I still did.
    Russ
    '06 Rubi LJ, mostly stock except for lift, 35s, armor, blah, blah, blah.

Ford 6.0L Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    IMO don't pass on a 6.0. They can be picked up very cheap. Just have $$ set aside in case you need repairs (this applies to ANY diesel from any manufacturer). 7.3s often cost more than 6.0s. Sure the motor may run forever, but they are low on power and all the other stuff on the truck breaks because its 20 years old. Also no one seems to talk about the trannies in the 7.3, which aren't that great. there are pros/cons to every model whether its Ford, Chevy, or Dodge
    Lol... over 300k on my 7.3L and the ZF6 just keeps running. Don't know how it's costing me more to own or run it down the road. I also find it nice that I can work on my motor without having to lift the cab off of the body, if needed. In the last 8 years, I've done the standard maintenance stuff-brakes, oil & filter changes, front end components, and for the heck of it I did the water pump and radiator this Summer. Got a call to race the 50th anniversary of the Baja 1000, on a Monday and I hopped in the truck on Friday. Drove it for over 2.5K miles of Baja. No issues nor was I worried about any.

Coming home:

Won't turn this into a pissing match, but to say a 7.3l costs more to maintain and keep running than a 6.0l, is laughable. (Granted. I waited and found a 99.5-01 moly-rodded 7.3l, ZF6, lariat with manual hubs and manual transfer case. I couldn't be happier with the purchase and lack of costs to keep it on the road)
    Last edited by Huck; 12-19-2017 at 06:46 AM.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

^^You misread what I posted. Let me clarify: 7.3s sell for a premium, so they can cost more to buy up front. What I was seeing when shopping was a 7.3 for the same(or similar) price as buying a 6.0 and paying for the bulletproofing. I would rather have a 6.0 with fresh rebuild than a high mileage 7.3 (current market costs about the same), as all the other components on the truck are newer. All Im saying is weigh your options. Finding a unicorn 7.3 at a decent price is almost impossible these days. It easier to find a deal on a 6.0 and build it or a deal on a 6.7 and run it. The newer you get the more power the truck has, the better tranny and better ride quality.

Either way after weighing the options I still recommend paying a but more for a 6.7, but even those have horror stories of high repair costs. Mine has been rock solid (*Knock on wood*), has tons of power, and is very comfy.

If you are on a budget ask yourself if you NEED a diesel: they cost more up front, cost more to maintain and repair costs are higher. A 3/4 gas will get the job done in many cases. 1/2 gas<3/4 gas< 3/4 diesel< 1 ton diesel. Pick your poison based on budget/need.

I knew the setup I wanted was a Cabover on the truck and a trailer behind me with the Jeep. My 11 250 does great with what I want it to do and is my DD. Its fairly comfy, looks good, feels very stable fully loaded, and had the power to hold 65 on the hills fully loaded.
    Last edited by Estrada; 12-19-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    Lol... over 300k on my 7.3L and the ZF6 just keeps running. Don't know how it's costing me more to own or run it down the road. I also find it nice that I can work on my motor without having to lift the cab off of the body, if needed. In the last 8 years, I've done the standard maintenance stuff-brakes, oil & filter changes, front end components, and for the heck of it I did the water pump and radiator this Summer. Got a call to race the 50th anniversary of the Baja 1000, on a Monday and I hopped in the truck on Friday. Drove it for over 2.5K miles of Baja. No issues nor was I worried about any.

Coming home:

Won't turn this into a pissing match, but to say a 7.3l costs more to maintain and keep running than a 6.0l, is laughable. (Granted. I waited and found a 99.5-01 moly-rodded 7.3l, ZF6, lariat with manual hubs and manual transfer case. I couldn't be happier with the purchase and lack of costs to keep it on the road)

No opinion because never owned a diesel but that is an awesome picture. Been to Gonzaga many times.

So a F350 6.0L 4x4 with 200k vs a 4 year older F250 7.3L 4x4 F250 with 300K.

Both are kind of high mileage, if the 6.0L has not had the bullet proofing by now that could be a cost coming very soon. Not sure if either or worth going after just yet.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

If you dont mind posting: whats the price on them?

^^You misread what I posted. Let me clarify: 7.3s sell for a premium... Finding a unicorn 7.3 at a decent price is almost impossible these days.
    I've been known to misread a post or two. So, I apologize for doing so. There's a reason 7.3's sell for a premium. They are slow. Some, like mine, are all leaf springs and the CCLB takes a country mile to turnaround. For the most part, they are dead nuts reliable and peace of mind is worth paying for. If you've got the time, it's worth waiting to find.

I waited and picked up mine for less than I could sell it for, today. You'll notice in my original post, I do see the benefits in purchasing a 6.0 for the right price or one that's been deleted. They can run down the road like a raped ape, comfortably
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Just buy a Chevy..................

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    Just buy a Chevy..................
    Why? So I can have a Duramax that over heats all the time when towing? LOL Would only buy Chevy if it is an 8.1L.

Would prefer another Dodge, but they are a premium on price,
    Last edited by My1stJeep; 12-19-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

If you dont mind posting: whats the price on them?
    Both are 4x4, the F350 is the King Ranch, the F250 is more of a base model. Prices are negotiable. I will be asking about the bullet proofing if it was done on the 6.0L.

The 2002 F250 SRW 7.3 is 12k
    The 2006 F350 DRW 6.0 is 15k
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

4 Bangers Rule

I think if you can get the 7.3 for 10k Id jump on it. Just keep in mind thats a 16 year old truck with 300k. You should expect maintenance on it.

For reference I got my 11 250 for 30k. 4x4 CCLB. Had been tuned, deleted, leveled, 35s, and air bags.

As far as brands go they all have their faults so pick your poison. I liked the Ford package overall the best. Ive been happy with my 11.

I think if you can get the 7.3 for 10k Id jump on it. Just keep in mind thats a 16 year old truck with 300k. You should expect maintenance on it.

For reference I got my 11 250 for 30k. 4x4 CCLB. Had been tuned, deleted, leveled, 35s, and air bags.

As far as brands go they all have their faults so pick your poison. I liked the Ford package overall the best. Ive been happy with my 11.
    Isn't your '11 making like 1,100 ft lbs now???
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    Isn't your '11 making like 1,100 ft lbs now???
    LOL no.

IMO don't pass on a 6.0. They can be picked up very cheap. Just have $$ set aside in case you need repairs (this applies to ANY diesel from any manufacturer). 7.3s often cost more than 6.0s. Sure the motor may run forever, but they are low on power and all the other stuff on the truck breaks because its 20 years old. Also no one seems to talk about the trannies in the 7.3, which aren't that great. there are pros/cons to every model whether its Ford, Chevy, or Dodge
    This is the first time I've ever heard it said that the 7.3 is low on power. I've never owned one but know plenty that do, and say the opposite.

Buying a 7.3 truck manufactured in the 90's is the way to go, unless you want all the gizmos and google on the dash of the new ones.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information