Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford 6.0L Engine

Ford 6.0L Engine

So I know the 7.3L would be preferable. However a possible deal for a 2006 Crew Cab DRW 4x4 King Ranch with the 6.0L might be available. It does have over 200K, but for diesel's that is not much. I have heard that the 6.0L is solid as long as you don't try and modify it, I have heard you can mod the 7.3L without any issues.

Currently I have a 2007 Dodge Megacab 4x4 with the 5.7l, it tows great with my Jeep on a 20 foot flatbed and even heavier loads, but we are looking to move up next to a 5th wheel and move past what the current truck can handle. This would be a step preparing for the future.

So for those of you who know way more than I do when it comes to fords and diesels, let me hear your opinion.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Ford 6.0L Engine

7.3l owner, here, Chris. That said, the 6.0, in stock form, is one that you want to run from. With about $4-5K worth of work to delete and stud the heads (depending on who does the work-parts are less), they are supposed to be super reliable. The 6.0 will also get up and scream, but the egr issues and head stud issues are well known. Think there have been some cooling system issues with the radiators, but that stuff is nothing compared to the motor work. The for/against argument with the 6.0 is the $4-5K you need to spend to bulletproof them. If you buy them cheap enough or buy one that's been bulletproofed, folks feel that they are worth it. Look up 'bulletproofing' 6.0's and go from there. It'll at least give you food for thought and some things to ask the current owner.
    Last edited by Huck; 12-18-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Re: Ford 6.0L Engine

Our business has owned many 7.3's, a couple 6.0's and a couple 6.4's. The 7.3's were for the most part bullet proof, the 6.0's (after about 150K miles) have been costly to keep running and the 6.4's were horrible, we have one parked right now with the motor out of it with just over 100K miles and the other traded off when signs of it going south started to be evident.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

What kind of deal are you talking? If its a great deal, rebuild and bullet proof it. Then you have a beast of a truck. Even if you dont rebuild right away Id set $$ aside in case it needs repairs.

Everything said is true. Yes, if you bullet proof the 6.0 you MAY have a great motor that will deliver 350K+ miles. I know of one such truck personally. I have the 6.0 I will never own another one. It's an international engine, not Ford. The injectors use the oil pressure to operate and the oil in a diesel engine is very dirty. The EPA required changes in the oils that vehicles use, so you will end up with a condition called "stickion". It sucks too. It happens because of the lack of sulfer, or something else in the oil that was in the oil when these engines were developed. Once you get stickion you'll have to add an additive at every oil change. 35.00 per bottle, I use two per oil change. Some people say one is enough, wasn't for me.

There is another issue with the 6.0 that is not talked about much. It has something to do with needle bearings and the lifters. I'll see if I can find the details and post back. I remember it causes catastrophic damage to the block.

My advice, just avoid the 6.0. If it hasn't been "bullet proofed" yet, that alone is $6K to install, if you do the complete kit. (doesn't include the head studs/bolts)

I just googled it and it is needle bearings on the roller lifters. When they fail, the motor is junk. I believe Ford started making their own motors again starting with the 6.3. Not sure though.

Anyway, my advice is too avoid the 6.0.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

So in reading this the 7.3 is the overall winner to get.
    A bullet proofed 6.0 is better than not, but still not as desirable.
    And the overall loser sounds like the 6.4, this one sounds like its only good as a paperweight.

Sound about right?
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Winner is the 6.7, which I ended up with. 2011 and newer. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk or read these threads:

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...s-the-Ford-6-0

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...96-New-tow-rig
    Last edited by Estrada; 12-18-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by My1stJeep View Post
    So in reading this the 7.3 is the overall winner to get.
    A bullet proofed 6.0 is better than not, but still not as desirable.
    And the overall loser sounds like the 6.4, this one sounds like its only good as a paperweight.

Sound about right?
    Yea, I have not had any real issues with my 6.0 yet, other than stiction. But had I known then what I know now, I would not have purchased it.

I'm hoping mine lasts long enough for me to buy a 5 year old 2015.

Save yourself the worries.

The 7.3 is the winner as long as you don't care about fuel economy. The newer 6.7 is great, but I've heard using a cheap DEF will cause issues with sensors. But emissions is whole nudder subject!!

Who uses DEF?

^Joke. They are pretty easy to delete.

So in order
    6.4 no even if your life depended on it
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

4 Bangers Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    Who uses DEF?

^Joke. They are pretty easy to delete.
    I've heard that. I've also heard it's hard to find a shop that will work on the truck once it's deleted. I was told it won't pass emissions without it. All of this I was either told or heard. Mine is pre-DEF. The reason I bought an 05 in the first place was to avoid the emissions crap.

Speaking of DEF....How do you like the position of the DEF tank on the new HD2500?? And the fill cap??

I WAS looking at a 6.0, beautiful truck but I will pass on the 6.0 and keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    I've heard that. I've also heard it's hard to find a shop that will work on the truck once it's deleted. I was told it won't pass emissions without it. All of this I was either told or heard. Mine is pre-DEF. The reason I bought an 05 in the first place was to avoid the emissions crap.

Speaking of DEF....How do you like the position of the DEF tank on the new HD2500?? And the fill cap??

I know of multiple shops that will delete it for you and do all the repairs you ever need. There are workarounds for getting the truck registered. I have no thoughts on the DEF cap. Ive never used it
    Last edited by Estrada; 12-18-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by capsul View Post
    I WAS looking at a 6.0, beautiful truck but I will pass on the 6.0 and keep looking.
    IMO don't pass on a 6.0. They can be picked up very cheap. Just have $$ set aside in case you need repairs (this applies to ANY diesel from any manufacturer). 7.3s often cost more than 6.0s. Sure the motor may run forever, but they are low on power and all the other stuff on the truck breaks because its 20 years old. Also no one seems to talk about the trannies in the 7.3, which aren't that great. there are pros/cons to every model whether its Ford, Chevy, or Dodge

Chris, I've owned all 4. PM me if you want, and I'll give you my perspective on each.

Gravity hates me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information