Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tow Rigs

Re: Tow Rigs

Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    I disagree with what OTR says. A half ton will do the job great for the occasional tow. Try to shop around and get the one with the best tow capacity. Watch closely on how the factory built it to get the right rig. You want factory tow package, correct wheelbase, etc.

Example: Look at this chart for the new F150
    https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/..._F150_Sep7.pdf

Varies from 5,000 to 11,300 tow capacity. Your rig and trailer will be prob 7k. I wouldn't shoot for anything rated less than 9k tow capacity. You don't want to be at max capacity when towing. We have some of the worst towing conditions in the country with heat and steep grades, so play it safe.
    I can appreciate your thoughts and the disagreement. I look at it differently, always have. To me, making one trip up the mountain a year doesn't justify cutting corners and possibly causing safety issues. Overload a half ton and overheat it one time and the some damage is done. Burn the brakes coming down sunset point one time, and the damage is done.

All day long people will say their half ton truck pulled their load just fine, no problems. And that's great, for them.

Cap- are you planning on purchasing a new truck? If so, a half ton MAY work out. But the chevy 1500 towing capacity is under 8K on nearly all their trucks prior to 2010. You can look on the web and find a chevy site that will say it's more, but go by the manual, not the web.

I know this is probably irrelevant, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. The manufacturers have changed the way they rate their vehicles for towing. A few months ago I was on the fence between bullet proofing mine or buying a new (to me) truck. When I saw what the Ram was rated at for towing I just had to go talk to a salesman to figure out how they can rate it so high. They used to use testing, like hill climbs and stopping distances to rate their trucks. They no longer do. They rate them based on the cargo capacity and then back into the trailer weight. The use 10% for bumper pull and 20% for fifth wheel. So, if your bumper/hitch can support 750 lbs, your truck is rated at 7500 towing capacity. The new 3500 ram has a cargo capacity of almost 6K, with the right options (dually is one of them). That means they can "rate" the tow capacity of that truck at nearly 30K lbs. No way in hell a 3500 should be towing 30K.

So keep that in mind. As Estrada says, and others, stay well under the capacity and you'll do okay.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

^^ Keep in mind that todays 1/2 tons are built better than ones in the past: more power, better trannies and better breaks. I think we disagree on whether a half ton will get the job done, but agree to follow the tow rating based on the specific truck/package you buy and stay well under the rated capacity.

Capsul, if you find a specific vehicle you want to purchase let me know and I can take a look with you (if you want help). I also suggest testing it with a tow before buying to see how it feels (if possible).

Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    ^^ Keep in mind that todays 1/2 tons are built better than ones in the past: more power, better trannies and better breaks. I think we disagree on whether a half ton will get the job done, but agree to follow the tow rating based on the specific truck/package you buy and stay well under the rated capacity.

Capsul, if you find a specific vehicle you want to purchase let me know and I can take a look with you (if you want help). I also suggest testing it with a tow before buying to see how it feels (if possible).
    Thanks for the offer, you live in mesa right. I'm in north phx coordinating to look might be a challenge. Found a 05 chevy 2500 6.0 with 90k and 4.10 gears, single owner in sun city. Asking 12,500, going to take a look tomorrow. If it looks good I'll PM you maybe take a look.
    Last edited by capsul; 12-19-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    I can appreciate your thoughts and the disagreement. I look at it differently, always have. To me, making one trip up the mountain a year doesn't justify cutting corners and possibly causing safety issues. Overload a half ton and overheat it one time and the some damage is done. Burn the brakes coming down sunset point one time, and the damage is done.

All day long people will say their half ton truck pulled their load just fine, no problems. And that's great, for them.

Cap- are you planning on purchasing a new truck? If so, a half ton MAY work out. But the chevy 1500 towing capacity is under 8K on nearly all their trucks prior to 2010. You can look on the web and find a chevy site that will say it's more, but go by the manual, not the web.

I know this is probably irrelevant, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. The manufacturers have changed the way they rate their vehicles for towing. A few months ago I was on the fence between bullet proofing mine or buying a new (to me) truck. When I saw what the Ram was rated at for towing I just had to go talk to a salesman to figure out how they can rate it so high. They used to use testing, like hill climbs and stopping distances to rate their trucks. They no longer do. They rate them based on the cargo capacity and then back into the trailer weight. The use 10% for bumper pull and 20% for fifth wheel. So, if your bumper/hitch can support 750 lbs, your truck is rated at 7500 towing capacity. The new 3500 ram has a cargo capacity of almost 6K, with the right options (dually is one of them). That means they can "rate" the tow capacity of that truck at nearly 30K lbs. No way in hell a 3500 should be towing 30K.

So keep that in mind. As Estrada says, and others, stay well under the capacity and you'll do okay.
    A lot of very useful information, thanks OTR. Leaning towards a 2500-250 series.

The Ford F150 was able to leap ahead in the towing capacity rating because of the aluminum body. The lighter the truck, the higher the payload. Use the 10% and 20% formulas and Bam! Higher towing capacity! Chevy will go aluminum in 2019. Are they built better? They have better engines, but the frame strength and braking are the same.

We have an old beater chevy here at work as our company truck. It's a 2003 1500. Before we got it, I would use my F250 to haul product across town periodically. Once we got it, they didn't want to pay me mileage anymore. One of the loads going out was 1100 pounds, 4 ft wide and 6 ft tall. I refused to drive the chevy with that load in the bed. The other maintenance guy is a die hard chevy lover so he volunteered to drive it. After he left, I explained the GVWR of the truck to the manager. He decided that we should not haul that much anymore. When the other guy got back from the trip, he said he would never do it again that heavy. We could air bag it, put on some load range E tires and do what most chevy guys do- Just Do It!

Not me.

Cap- it's always a good idea to have other eyes look at a vehicle before you purchase. I'd take Estrada up on it. He did a ton of homework before he purchased his.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by capsul View Post
    Thanks for the offer, you live in mesa right. I'm in north phx coordinating to look might be a challenge. Found a 05 chevy 2500 6.0 with 90k and 4.10 gears, single owner in sun city. Asking 12,500, going to take a look tomorrow. If it looks good I'll PM you maybe take a look.
    Ahwatukee

That trucks sounds great for your needs. With that engine and gearing it will do great.

I have a 2007 Megacab 4x4 I am getting ready to trade in, would be better to sell it outright.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

I say always plan ahead and go big. I have a Dodge 1 ton with the 6.7 (fully deleted). I went overkill when I bought it, but when I look back, I am glad I did. I have never had to worry about if it can make it up or down the hill, or can I tow or haul it. With today's trucks, if you go half ton, get it either with a turbo (Ford) or a diesel (Dodge). They will give you the best mileage and more power for towing. If you go for a 3/4 ton, get the diesel. I can get around 18mpg in town and my truck weighs in at 8400# running 35's and 4.10 gears. With different gears I could easily get low 20mpg's, but my truck is set up to towing.
    2013 JKU RUBICON 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION: Wife's DD
    2003 TJ Rubicon: Trailer queen
    1990 XJ: Somewhere in Mesa

Pftt.
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

5.3 is fine for occasional towing (1x a week?). Try and find a truck with 4l65e or better. The 4l60e’s come with weak input shafts, sprags and sunshells and are prone to grenading under load/high heat. 4.10 gears are supposed to be best for 5.3-6-x for rpm/torque curve while towing. Always monitor trans temp while towing.
    Last edited by 2equisYJ; 12-26-2017 at 01:43 AM.
    If youíre not paying for it, youíre the product. #deletefacebook

Quote Originally Posted by 2equisYJ View Post
    5.3 is fine for occasional towing (1x a week?). Try and find a truck with 4l65e or better. The 4l60e’s come with weak input shafts, sprags and sunshells and are prone to grenading under load/high heat. 4.10 gears are supposed to be best for 5.3-6-x for rpm/torque curve while towing. Always monitor trans temp while towing.
    I'm still vacillating between a 1500 and 2500 series. Most of the trucks I've looked at will need research on the vin number to know what gears are in the 1500's, owners don't know what gears they have. 2500's are more expensive and are hard to find with under 100k and fit in my budget. I might be looking at a re gear if i can find a 1500 5.3 truck that fits all the other requirements. The search goes on, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by capsul View Post
    I'm still vacillating between a 1500 and 2500 series. Most of the trucks I've looked at will need research on the vin number to know what gears are in the 1500's, owners don't know what gears they have. 2500's are more expensive and are hard to find with under 100k and fit in my budget. I might be looking at a re gear if i can find a 1500 5.3 truck that fits all the other requirements. The search goes on, Thanks.
    Just look at the option code sticker in the glovebox...
    GT4 = 3.73s
    GT5 =4.10s (may also be GT8)
    Good Luck!
    If youíre not paying for it, youíre the product. #deletefacebook

Quote Originally Posted by 2equisYJ View Post
    Just look at the option code sticker in the glovebox...
    GT4 = 3.73s
    GT5 =4.10s (may also be GT8)
    Good Luck!
    Good to know where to look thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information