Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: YJ help needed.

Re: YJ help needed.

If get a new one unless you you plan on doing new seals on the old one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

over the hill and through the cactus

Re: YJ help needed.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    Thanks for the info. I believe I have a good puller. But if not, I'll rent one.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to order the gearbox online or spend a day rummaging through junk yards. I found a site yesterday that sends your request to used auto parts businesses all over the country. I received several responses already. Looks like 100.00 is going to be the cost of the box.

Has anyone ever purchased used parts online like this?
    I had started (but sadly never finished) what became a very popular thread on another forum about this. In summary, buying a remanufactured steering gear box is a total crapshoot. It might be rebuilt correctly, but it might not be. There is also no guarantee that you will get the model that you are intending to purchase (i.e. snowplow vs non-snowplow) regardless of what the part number indicates that the steering gear box is supposed to be.

Buying used (not remanufactured) parts online should significantly increase the odds of you getting what you actually want.

If you want to be certain of what you are getting, then you will have to pull it yourself from local junkyard.

In my not-so-humble opinion, your best option (if you can afford it) would be to have Benchworks rebuild your YJ's steering gear box to whatever specifications you desire.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information