Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: YJ help needed.

Re: YJ help needed.

Quote Originally Posted by going_postal View Post
    did this start after a change of some part, or something that has gradually gotten worse, or, just popped up for no good reason.
    Also, FWIW, I have a lockright in my dana 30 and it is always locked, no steering locking up on mine.
    Didn't change a part, I did repair the frame where the gearbox bracket bolts on. And I did add a gear box support that goes from the lower part of the gear box to the other side of the frame.

The jeep sat for 5 or 6 months.

It's always had trouble steering when climbing, but i hear everyone say "I can't turn right now" when climbing. This issue started after it sat. Note to self- don't let it sit.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by going_postal View Post
    did this start after a change of some part, or something that has gradually gotten worse, or, just popped up for no good reason.
    Also, FWIW, I have a lockright in my dana 30 and it is always locked, no steering locking up on mine.
    Pretty sure mine is also a lockright, but it's not locked all the time. I can lift one wheel up and spin it.

I changed out my vacuum front axle disconnect for a manual, cable operated disconnect,home made. I leave engaged all the time. The TJs have a solid axle so no big deal there. As far as not being able to turn wheels when climbing or in a bind is normal. Be sure to check shaft from steering wheel to box, but sounds like it might be a box problem, what does the p/s fluid look like, if black you could try change or flush the fluid. Good luck, and steering and or turning is sorta important.
    I used to worry about rich and skinny
    til I wound up poor and fat
    KE7VKY

It would not be my first guess, but a failing steering gear box could cause the symptoms you are describing. Years ago I had a steering gear box in my XJ fail in a similar fashion. It began with the steering occasionally locking up while turning to the right. Just before I replaced the steering gear box, it had started violently whipping the steering wheel counterclockwise when I would try to turn it clockwise from center.

Other (more likely?) possibilities include:

- worn tie rod ends (especially the one at the pitman arm)
    - worn ball joints
    - damaged stabilizer shock
    - damaged locker
    - bent tie rod or drag link

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

Doug what did you find when you got under there and inspected everything while your buddy turned the wheel?
    4.0, NV4500, Atlas II, TAD Shafts, 30 spline D30/Trussed & Gusseted, Budget PSC Hydro-Assist/LetzRoll 7075 steering, Currie 9, 4.56s, ARBs, M.O.R.E Shock Towers, 6.125" SUA lift, 35" MTRK, Kilby/York OBA, Warn, Caged, Raven Armor, Fenom Fab Sliders, Geniuine China Bro Bars, Zip Ties, Duct Tape

Get the new bluetooth steering option. I seen a few of them at SEMA this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    Doug what did you find when you got under there and inspected everything while your buddy turned the wheel?
    Haven't done it yet. I went to help a friend remove broken exhaust bolts on his truck, then helped get a stuck valve loose on my brothers generator for his RV. Mine was next on the list and I was called in to work.

I'm going to try again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy_Rigid View Post
    Get the new bluetooth steering option. I seen a few of them at SEMA this year.
    LOL! My smart phone kicks my *** as it is! But if I don't get this fixed and end up in the guard rail i'll call it the "missing-tooth" steering option.

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    It would not be my first guess, but a failing steering gear box could cause the symptoms you are describing. Years ago I had a steering gear box in my XJ fail in a similar fashion. It began with the steering occasionally locking up while turning to the right. Just before I replaced the steering gear box, it had started violently whipping the steering wheel counterclockwise when I would try to turn it clockwise from center.

Other (more likely?) possibilities include:

- worn tie rod ends (especially the one at the pitman arm)
    - worn ball joints
    - damaged stabilizer shock
    - damaged locker
    - bent tie rod or drag link
    I'll put those on the list to check. Thanks.

steering box, has an issue if all else is supposedly fine

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    Haven't done it yet. I went to help a friend remove broken exhaust bolts on his truck, then helped get a stuck valve loose on my brothers generator for his RV. Mine was next on the list and I was called in to work.

I'm going to try again tonight.
    Gotcha, well in answer to your initial question, you can replace the YJ box with a box out of a 98-99 Dodge Durango/Dakota, 4x4, V-8.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...box-yj-571945/

You can also check with Benchwork in Scottsdale about having the stock box rebuilt. In the event you are EVER going to go hydro-assist, they can port and rebuild your box at the same time so it's ready when you are. https://benchworksteering.com/ (480) 946-3992

Scott
    4.0, NV4500, Atlas II, TAD Shafts, 30 spline D30/Trussed & Gusseted, Budget PSC Hydro-Assist/LetzRoll 7075 steering, Currie 9, 4.56s, ARBs, M.O.R.E Shock Towers, 6.125" SUA lift, 35" MTRK, Kilby/York OBA, Warn, Caged, Raven Armor, Fenom Fab Sliders, Geniuine China Bro Bars, Zip Ties, Duct Tape

If you can recreate the problem "easily" by sitting in a dirt lot in neutral/park...I just don't see how the locker can be a suspect.

My guess is on pump or box.
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    Pretty sure mine is also a lockright, but it's not locked all the time. I can lift one wheel up and spin it.
    If the vacuum disconnect is disconnected then the passenger wheel would spin even if the locker is locked. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    If the vacuum disconnect is disconnected then the passenger wheel would spin even if the locker is locked. Right?
    You are correct Roger...

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Right.

A friend of mine was thinking about installing a locker in the front and wanted to know how it worked. He also has a YJ. I jacked up the passenger wheel and showed him it would spin. Then put it in 4x4 and showed him it would still spin. Then had someone turn the drive line applying pressure to the locker to show him it locked up.

I do not believe it's the locker. Work is going crazy right now. 38 hours of overtime last week. This week looks to be the same. I'll check out the steering components as soon as I get a chance. My money is on the box.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information