Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XJ steering upgrade

Blog Entries

XJ steering upgrade

I am thinking about upgrading my steering to this. Let me know if you have or know someone with this set up. Just want to know I am making the right purchase.

http://www.stinkyfab.com/vehicle-spe...-xj-tj-zj.html

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

97 Cherokee with NP242 T-Case/skid plate, front/rear skid plates, tow package, RC 4.5" LA lift, front locker,trussed 8.8,410s, dual steering stabilizer on 33x12.5 mud claws with 15x10 rims. Custom rock sliders, rugged ridge fender flares, & 9k lumen light bar.

Blog Entries

Re: XJ steering upgrade

I guess no one has something similar to this. I guess I will give it a try and see how it goes.

97 Cherokee with NP242 T-Case/skid plate, front/rear skid plates, tow package, RC 4.5" LA lift, front locker,trussed 8.8,410s, dual steering stabilizer on 33x12.5 mud claws with 15x10 rims. Custom rock sliders, rugged ridge fender flares, & 9k lumen light bar.

Send a PM to RickzTJ.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

Blog Entries

I talked with the guys at Knuckle Busters and they are going to see what it takes to become a dealer with SFR, and see what kind of price they can give me. Could be a win-win situation.

Why not get from local vendor/club sponsor? Letzroll has been making solid aluminum link, heavy duty steering upgrade solutions for years. RPM Fab offers similar, too.

Probably limited feedback about stinky fab because most everyone with similar upgrade is running a local built "kit".
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

How tall are you lifted? Be aware of Tie Rod Roll and how it will add a dead spot to your steering.

Ruff Stuff has a fix for this: http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R1768.html

I would also wonder the quality of the TREs they are using at that price point. Quality TREs will last a lot longer than Chinese junk

I used barnes 4wd , got them from amazon, comes with dom long enough for you to adjust and modify as necessary, you just need a chevy 1 ton reamer. They also have the Y lonk set up. For like 200 bucks or so.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

letzroll or rpm fab all the way for the win
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    How tall are you lifted? Be aware of Tie Rod Roll and how it will add a dead spot to your steering.

Ruff Stuff has a fix for this: http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R1768.html

I would also wonder the quality of the TREs they are using at that price point. Quality TREs will last a lot longer than Chinese junk
    4.5" but thinking of going up to 6-6.5". I have looked at all the big suppliers kits and have seen their solution, "the cure". This kit says it has the same thing.
    The TRE's are Moog and come with a lifetime warranty.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jacobson View Post
    Why not get from local vendor/club sponsor? Letzroll has been making solid aluminum link, heavy duty steering upgrade solutions for years. RPM Fab offers similar, too.

Probably limited feedback about stinky fab because most everyone with similar upgrade is running a local built "kit".
    Typically a local shop, even a sponsor for the club is more expensive than buying on line, then they pressure you to have them install it. I did talk to the guys at Knuckle Busters, but haven't heard anything back from them. I will call Andrew at letzroll and see what they have.
    Wow the RPM Fab kit is $600. That's almost twice the SFR kit.

Last edited by Pinoy59; 09-15-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy59 View Post
    4.5" but thinking of going up to 6-6.5". I have looked at all the big suppliers kits and have seen their solution, "the cure". This kit says it has the same thing.
    The TRE's are Moog and come with a lifetime
    Most Moog stuff is Chinese these days. Not what it used to be.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aribelin View Post
    Most Moog stuff is Chinese these days. Not what it used to be.
    Yeah, they do have a warranty but it could be a pain to warranty them out and change them all the time. Worst case, I could just get different ones...

Lifting that tall I personally wouldn't recommend the Y steering setup. I had it on a TJ lifted 5" and hated it. Converting to high steer is worth it but then costs go up.

You could probably get by by doings tie rod flip so it's on top of the knuckle and using the cure posted above.

IMO if I were to buy the kit you linked above I would see if they will just sell you the links or see if you can get the links locally. Then buy the TREs locally so they are easy to warranty as needed. Letz roll made me links in the links past and the Priceline was great. I went for their install on my TJ as they did fab work to make it a high steer setup.

XJ steering upgrade

The Y link will be your issue, with a tall lift. By design, if you are drooped down with your passenger front tire, you will find that turning left is difficult. It causes the steering input to be very minimal at full droop.

This has been my experience, using a 6" lift and the old Currie Y link replacement, back in the day. When I made the switch to using a Tera-knuckle and a true high steer/hydro-assist setup, I was much happier and could turn a lot better at full droop. I currently run a full hydro, up front, but my old front axle is still under a member of this board's rig and working well.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

I'm running an '01 XJ on 35's with 6.5" locked on both ends. I pretzeled my drag link last year on Backstage Pass at Chile Challenge and debated the StinkyFab setup as I explored what I really wanted in a steering setup. I ultimately decided was, since I still drive to the trailhead, I didn't want to deal with the dead spot.

A buddy sold me his old Currectlync take off for $100, but the tie rod was bent, so I swapped in the DragLink and stuck with my still straight IRO tie rod. This ended up being the quick/dirty/economical solution, but I've got a set of JY take-off WJ knuckles sitting in my garage waiting for me to ream them and build up a 1-ton OTK set up where the tie-rod is full length wheel to wheel, and the drag link gets it's own bracket, so no more inverted T or inverted Y and its dead spot.

Honestly, for the money of the StinkyFab set up, I'd probably recommend going this route. (Added bonus, you get bigger brake rotors up front!)

You can find tons of write-ups online for how to do it, I'm just a lazy sack, so I haven't gotten around to it in the past year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information