Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martinez Canyon

Martinez Canyon

Is there anything left of the buildings, has anyone been out there lately ?

Re: Martinez Canyon

Personally, don't know, but there has been some talk about putting together a run to the gate, and a hike past the cabins to the processing facility once things cool down a little. \

Scott
    4.0, NV4500, Atlas II, TAD Shafts, 30 spline D30/Trussed & Gusseted, Budget PSC Hydro-Assist/LetzRoll 7075 steering, Currie 9, 4.56s, ARBs, M.O.R.E Shock Towers, 6.125" SUA lift, 35" MTRK, Kilby/York OBA, Warn, Caged, Raven Armor, Fenom Fab Sliders, Geniuine China Bro Bars, Zip Ties, Duct Tape

I sure miss this trail...
    RIP The Tetanus Shot

A quote from a blog I follow, dated 2017, but not sure what month.

"Ran the run into Martinez today. Gate is still up. Does have a access "v" on the side the dirt bikes are using but nothing else with a motor. The late model cabin is disassembled and the material stacked around the slab. The large red cabin is on the verge of falling. The support beams are mostly gone under the kitchen and a large cotton wood has pushed the roof over and is beginning to push the entire cabin away from the stream. The small white cabin has a partial roof and just over two walls standing. Very nice spot just wish there was a better spot to park/ have lunch at the vehicle. But that's what happens with vandalism. I noticed in one of your pics there were two generators in a shed. The shed is still there with a roof, one generator is gone the other has been dragged out and partly torn apart. I suppose fortunately it has been gated, at least some of it is still there. The bridge at the mill is also down. Both ends still up, but looks like the recent floods have washed out the center section from the way the south side is pointing down stream now. Lots of large timbers were in the wash all the way down to the gate almost. Great hike in with lots of shade and there was minimal water running in a few spots. Over all under 2 miles round trip, just above the mill to one of the ore shafts to the gate."

I've moved this thread into the General section of the forum. The "Arizona Trails" section is really only intended for complete trail descriptions and ratings, and requires full moderation meaning that every post has to be reviewed and approved by a mod or admin before it can be visible to everyone. I may take selected posts from this thread and add them into the "formal" Martinez Canyon trail description, but not the entire thread.

- Scott
    4.0, NV4500, Atlas II, TAD Shafts, 30 spline D30/Trussed & Gusseted, Budget PSC Hydro-Assist/LetzRoll 7075 steering, Currie 9, 4.56s, ARBs, M.O.R.E Shock Towers, 6.125" SUA lift, 35" MTRK, Kilby/York OBA, Warn, Caged, Raven Armor, Fenom Fab Sliders, Geniuine China Bro Bars, Zip Ties, Duct Tape

2017 photos found online
    Name:  Martinez2017update2.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  141.7 KB
    Name:  Martinez 2017update1.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  139.2 KB

So miss this trail. The chute was my favorite. Just pray you could stop at the end of it, otherwise not a good day ahead.
    1973 Scout 11, 350 Police Interceptor, 350 turbo box, triple sticked doubler, 4.56s Detroit & Arb, 37" Krawlers, Ctm's & Chromoly front, 14 bolt rear, Hydraulic 10,000lb winch, full recovery gear. I wheel farm equipment. ' Bozo's ' founding member.

Miss this trail as well. Such a blast! The mine at the top was such a nice cool down if you ran this trail in the hotter months. It was a consistent cool breeze in there no matter the outside temp.
    Eric - *'92 White YJ, 4.5" custom Deaver springs, 35" MTRs, Tera-Low 4:1, Hydro Assist, CAI, Rear 8.8, Chromo D30, 4.88s, locked front/rear, full cage, tube fenders.
    *'08 Silver Rubicon JKU 2.5" lift, 5.13's and 35's

Lot a good times on that trail!
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

Quote Originally Posted by azgypsy View Post
    Lot a good times on that trail!

No doubt. I remember one time I got the Waggy back there. 4" spring lift and 31" tires. It was quite a slog from the small river to the cave with lots of big rocks. I got to the cabin with my friends and the group that was right behind us parked. Some guy said "I want to shake the hand of the guy that got the waggy back here". I miss that old waggy sometimes. By the time I was done with it there wasn't a straight body panel on it, except the roof...
    Last edited by Will E; 09-12-2017 at 07:45 AM.
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

We used to take a Coleman stove and cook burgers up on "Top of the World". Hot burgers and awesome scenery - sure miss that.

Here's a couple good ones from the top.

These are my own photos from back in the day. Sorry not sorry for the nostalgia

Scott

I miss this trail too... that "chute" sure did like to eat the drivers side rear window in my XJ tho... especially in the rain.
    13 JKR 3.5MetalCloak, 35x12.50's, 5.13's, PoisonSpyder bumpers/rails Synergy belly/steering, PSC hydro assist, Warn Zeon... and stuff.
    http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/...k.jpg~original

Here is a picture from around 2003. Windows still in place. I know the weather does its own damage but in subsequent years you could see where people had purposly done damage, target practice or even used parts of the different building for fire wood.

That's one nice thing about Colorado and Ouray. Folks seem to leave the old stuff alone. The weather is still taking its toll but it's not being helped along by idiots.

Bonus points if you can spot me in the pic.
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information