Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping setups

Hybrid View

Camping setups

Show me your camping set up. We are thinking of getting an air mattress that fits in the back of our JKU. Anyone have one? What size? Pros and cons of sleeping in the Jeep. Do you have a Jeep top tent? A back end tent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Jeep camping

This fits in the back of my rig complete with two very comfortable cots..

Re: Camping setups

Nice setup JFurb. I'd think a sleeping in a tent like that would be a lot more comfortable than trying to fit in a Jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
    Nice setup JFurb. I'd think a sleeping in a tent like that would be a lot more comfortable than trying to fit in a Jeep.
    I had a tent that attached to the back but this one gives me more room and frees up the jeep to bug out ASAP if needed.

Camping setups

This my Jeeping/camping set up:

In camping mode:
    Last edited by Huck; 08-27-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Here's mine. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13043332_1703180763297587_3190175492095086393_n.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	72081

A cot. Under the stars. Fire to cook over.
    Ted - K2AMD
    2006 KJ pretty much stock, but well stocked when I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    LOL. I'm one of the dbags.

Depends where I am going and for how long. Sometimes it's just a tent in the back of the Jeep:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150420_062433.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	72086

or I can tow the tent behind the Jeep:

Name:	IMG_2986.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	958.6 KB 
ID:	72088

Sometimes I tow the Jeep behind the "tent":

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	72087

Life's Short - Play Dirty

Two thoughts on tent camping.

I recently went from an air mattress to a cot. I love the cot. A bit stiffer and it doesn't leak out during the night. Also, you are higher off the ground which makes it easier.
    Second thought is on my fridge. I went with a fridge/freezer in the jeep. I have been very happy with the results. No more wasted food in the water/ice. No nastiness. The down side is the refreshments don't cool as quickly as they do if placed in an ice chest full of water and ice but it is a small price to pay. You just have to pay attention and plan a bit more.
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

Quote Originally Posted by Will E View Post
    Two thoughts on tent camping.

I recently went from an air mattress to a cot. I love the cot. A bit stiffer and it doesn't leak out during the night. Also, you are higher off the ground which makes it easier.
    Second thought is on my fridge. I went with a fridge/freezer in the jeep. I have been very happy with the results. No more wasted food in the water/ice. No nastiness. The down side is the refreshments don't cool as quickly as they do if placed in an ice chest full of water and ice but it is a small price to pay. You just have to pay attention and plan a bit more.
    x2 ^^^ this
    Ted - K2AMD
    2006 KJ pretty much stock, but well stocked when I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    LOL. I'm one of the dbags.

I don't have pics but have many options when camping.

I have 2 backpaking tents - REI Passage 2 and Half Dome 2. My 1st jeep was a TJ and space for gear was severely limited, especially considering my cooler took up over half of the back! I also have 2 large tents - REI Kingdom 6 w/ garage and a 6 man Ozark trail a friend gave me when she was moving out of state. I did not plan to end up with 4 tents but stumbled across some too good to pass up deals at different REI Garage Sales!

I also have a teardrop I tow behind the jeep. The only pic I could find on my phone was it in the garage. If I make it to Casner, I'll most likely bring it because I believe the nights will be too cool for me in a tent.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

For the back of a Jeep tent camping works great. Since you have a JKU (roomy) Id recommend getting a larger tent. Its nice to be able to stand up in your tent and change clothes. Get a quality air mattress and they wont leak.

Ive slept in the back of my rig back when I had a WJ and it worked, but isnt ideal. Theres no ventilation so it will get smelly. If the weather is warm it gets really hot. The vehicle doenst really insukate all that welll IMO. The only time I used that setup was at KOH and was glad to at least be out of the wind vs a tent. Otherwise Id gladly be in a tent vs the back of the rig

I have this tent an really like it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E4ERHA...ding=UTF8&th=1

Im in a TJ, so I also have a backpacking tent for solo wheeling trips.

But like the others above I also have a cabover camper on the tow rig for longer family trips. I love having the amenities.

Sarah, if you want to drop by the house sometime I can show you what Im talking about.

I used a one man backpacker's tent for many years paired with a one man self-inflating backpacker's air mattress, a -20 down mummy bag, a tiny Peak 1 dual fuel camp stove, an MSR white gas fuel bottle, one pot, one pan, one plate, one set of metal utencils, one pocket knife, a small bottle of camp soap, 2 quarts of water + a water purifier and last but certainly not least, a box of matches.

I sleep fine on the ground and would rather do that than go to the trouble to haul a chit load of gear and set it all up, then tear it all down at the end of the trip. When I'm camping without my wife, I still use the smallest tent I have, along with a rollup foam pad and a sleeping bag. But when it's not just me I bring the taj matent replete with 10 bedrooms, 8 ceiling fans, 5 and a half baths, 3 chandeliers and a valet. Er, a Coleman 10 man instant tent which can be easily set up in about 5 minutes, a queen air mattress, a blanket to insulate from the ground and a couple of fluffy sleeping bags that zip together into a "bed set". A small 2'x4' folding kitchen table, a Weber Q and its stand, and a set of pots and pans and utincils. That stuff takes up too much space for the YJ however, so in future trips, it will only be on trips where the WK2 is going.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Compa...n+instant+tent

Scott
    4.0, NV4500, Atlas II, TAD Shafts, 30 spline D30/Trussed & Gusseted, Budget PSC Hydro-Assist/LetzRoll 7075 steering, Currie 9, 4.56s, ARBs, M.O.R.E Shock Towers, 6.125" SUA lift, 35" MTRK, Kilby/York OBA, Warn, Caged, Raven Armor, Fenom Fab Sliders, Geniuine China Bro Bars, Zip Ties, Duct Tape

Mines a 6 person dome tent with a queen sized air mattress. For cooking I usually have a two burner cook top thing with a separate griddle so I can either do two pots/pans or have a flat surface for pancakes/bacon or a surface with ridges for steaks/burgers. Havent done too much of that with this setup yet but its capable of it.

Lunatic Fridge
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelinHawkeye View Post
    Welll... I might fall under the category "special" kinda crazy. Wait, what ? Did I just say....
    Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    You will fit right in with my group of misfits. I'll even make them promise to flop you gently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_Mike 2013 View Post
    Yup, I'm a crab. Crabs make me feel dirty.

We have a tent, used to do the air mattress route.. but deflating during the night and lack of warmth. We now take some pads and sleeping bags.

We have a private #2 bucket, a shower, fire ring, kitchen set up, fridge freezer, private trasharoo (we pack out what we brought in) and chairs. We likely over do it, but its a work in progress to find the perfect set up for us.

0lllllll0 tikis phone 0lllllll0
    Tiki's TJ is a 98 Wrangler Sport, 4.0l inline 6, sitting on BFG KO2 33's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information