Thread: Reloading Shotgun shells

Reloading Shotgun shells

If a box of new shells (12 ga) costs $5.00 and you only shoot three or four boxes per season, is it worth reloading or just more of a hobby?

My dad reloaded for years but he had to supply shells to a family of five hunters and back we went through a lot of shells.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Re: Reloading Shotgun shells

NO, I shoot trap and skeet once a week, and don't reload, whilst I have the ability to do so, I do not due to cost. That is if you factor in time. Field shot is available so cheap loaded, not worth it.

Back in the day it was, and may well be in the future, but presently, at the rate i shoot, it is still easier to pick up rounds when on sale or buy bulk from suppliers at sale, still cheaper,

And i do save the good hulls, must have a few thousand double aa.s for the day i need them.
    I bought 4k pounds of reclaimed shot from BA shooting range a few years back, still have about 2k, rest was melted for other bullets.
    I only reload for the machine guns now, as they are hungry little devils
    good luck
    Rj

Quote Originally Posted by knockonit View Post
    NO, I shoot trap and skeet once a week, and don't reload, whilst I have the ability to do so, I do not due to cost. That is if you factor in time. Field shot is available so cheap loaded, not worth it.

Back in the day it was, and may well be in the future, but presently, at the rate i shoot, it is still easier to pick up rounds when on sale or buy bulk from suppliers at sale, still cheaper,

And i do save the good hulls, must have a few thousand double aa.s for the day i need them.
    I bought 4k pounds of reclaimed shot from BA shooting range a few years back, still have about 2k, rest was melted for other bullets.
    I only reload for the machine guns now, as they are hungry little devils
    good luck
    Rj
    X2 for you No ! but like he said, I shoot skeet/trap & field clays the wife & I go through 500-1000 rounds a month so reloading helps save $$$ but more of hobby for me..

Thanks for the replies. That's actually what brought this question up in the first place. We have been shooting clays because people want practice for dove season. I picked up all the spent shells. So I have a lot of once-shot casings. So I guess the answer is if I'm going to make a hobby out of shooting clays, I should think about it a little harder.

500-1000 rounds a month!! Sounds both fun and tough on the shoulder at the same time!

Maybe I'll just pick up the empties and save them for a while.

I do remember when we reloaded 40 years ago we would sneak a round or two in the old mans vest that had nothing but feathers packed in where the shot would go. Then we would hear "You little son's of *******!!"

Feathers good one, we did it to grandpa with glitter !
    My dad would of shot me with the next round & say I thought it was full of glitter too. Not much of sense of humor ...

We used to sit around the table, in Flagstaff and pump out shot shells. It was easy and worked great. Then, as stated above, it got more expensive. I still reload my wildcat loads and some other hunting rounds, but haven't reloaded a shot shell in over a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

By the time you pay for all the material and tools/reloader and the time and labor it's not worth it!
    If ya mass produce and sell THEN maybe it is!
    The hunt is my thing!
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

I reload everything that I shoot, as do my hunting buddies. Our typical reload (12 ga 2 3/4" with 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 ounce of 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 shot and Longshot powder, something like 1450 fps) can drop a dove at 90+ paces. You can actually hear those loads tearing the sky apart.
    Kenneth
    1998 TJ 4.0 MT

used to reload all my shotgun needs. But as has been stated with the low cost of low quality rounds it just is not worth it. If you want to shoot the equivalent to an express long range then the cost gets closer to being viable. With the demise of Phoenix Shooters Supply and the low cost of components no longer being available, reloading lost its cost advantage. Even though I mainly shoot 410 and 28 ga I can still find it cheaper by the case then I can reload. Fun hobby but that is about all reloading is these days.

Pinzgauer 710 4x4
    Pinzgauer 712 6x6
    Puch 230GE G wagon

Aren't 410 shells like 25.00 per box?

Thread Information