Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car Scissor Lift, has anybody used one?

Re: Car Scissor Lift, has anybody used one?

Do you really enjoy doing whatever suspension work you plan on doing? Because the $1500 you spend on one of these lifts would probably cover the labor to just take the car into a shop and let them do it.

I applaud the do-it-yourself spirit and all, but "hours on end" under a Mazda Protege doesn't exactly sound like a lot of fun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MV3 View Post
    The 12 ton ones might be overkill, but they are so much more stable due to the larger footprint.
    I would be going from ~6" off the ground to over 20", and that is without extending the jack at all. that is a huge difference. if I was starting from a higher point, I think I would be more comfortable. They would be great for my truck, but not for my little sedan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
    Do you really enjoy doing whatever suspension work you plan on doing? Because the $1500 you spend on one of these lifts would probably cover the labor to just take the car into a shop and let them do it.

I applaud the do-it-yourself spirit and all, but "hours on end" under a Mazda Protege doesn't exactly sound like a lot of fun.
    Its all about content for my youtube channel. I'll be recording every time I do a repair. It will be on the jack stands for quite a while. Several weeks at least. That's why I was thinking about it, if it would be any more secure than being up on 4 jack stands in the garage, and more convenient if I need to raise/lower it as I do repairs. I will have a shop do some of the things I cannot do, like mount tires, but most of the work I plan on doing myself.

This is my current list of things I'm going to be doing to it, the things underlined in green are things I've either already ordered parts for, or they have already arrived:

some of it is pretty simple, like replacing a broken cap on the brake reservoir, some of it is more extensive Like the shocks, and fixing electrical things. and there will be more as I dig into it I'm sure. unlike my jeep, its already a good running car, I'm just trying to make it nicer. The PO was a teenager who really did worse mods than even I could do, and rode it pretty hard.

I don't plan on it being a sema show car, but I would like to start taking it to armature car shows. Its the last one they built (2750/2750), so I want it to look nice, and also drive nice.

Gotcha, makes sense. Good luck. That MaxJax looks like a pretty good solution.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
    Gotcha, makes sense. Good luck. That MaxJax looks like a pretty good solution.
    yeah, it may be one of those things I send my wife on a short trip, and it gets installed while she's gone.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=332045

Just in case. It's a forum discussion on epoxy anchors.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Mounting tires??? If you want to YouTube yourself doing that too, bring them up to Wickenburg. I have two tire machines and two balancers (although the old Coats balancer needs 3 phase which I don't have).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 62willy View Post
    Mounting tires??? If you want to YouTube yourself doing that too, bring them up to Wickenburg. I have two tire machines and two balancers (although the old Coats balancer needs 3 phase which I don't have).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the offer. The shop near me will charge just $15 a tire to mount and balance. I think I would spend more on gas to get to wickenburg and back. if you were closer I would do it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by shortestbus View Post
    OB1, I respect your info but if you call or talk to manufacturers they will give you info on stainless size to use.. also look here Simpson Strong-Tie anchors for specific holding strength ..
    Over the past 35years of installing equipment for heavy truck lifts & all kinds of chemical applications stainless anchors are required. Because in the process of cleaning water & caustic agents are very corrosive. In a lot of food processing they use acid all the time to clean. I have seen steel anchors look fine but put a wrench on it they snap right off because just below the plate they are corroded & you don't know it until it's to late.. Stainless is strong & will last longer for just a small amount more $$. Also the grade of stainless steel they make them with will be fine for such a light application for 5000lbs to 10000lbs.

(Also I have PDF file on strength of all size anchors steel & stainless. They are very close or even better then steel because of cutting threads & zinc coatings) make them smaller in diameter then stainless
    Then you & I agree 100%... When installing lift anchors, or whatever needs anchoring to a concrete floor, use what that devices manufacturer recommends...
    Working for a living is highly over-rated...

Quote Originally Posted by shortestbus View Post
    yes its easy ! but you can NOT do it to a post-tension slab

It's done all the time. You just need to have a GPR tech come out and locate the PT tendons before drilling. They will lay out a map of where not to drill (tape, sharpie or paint lines/depths depending on scope of project) My civil crews do this all the time to to avoid both PT tendons and rebar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Antagonist

Yes we do it all the time to for slabs & block walls when we cut large holes in them and anchor steel frames around it to reinforce wall, but for home cost to have GPR done on slab. He is/was looking for low cost lift not a commercial job to pay the bill....

Blog Entries

I just ended up just lifting one side of the car at a time, like I always do. it sucked. it meant a lot of sitting on a low stool, sitting on the ground, and hunching over. But it didn't cost me anything extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Now I got it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I paid $1100 for mine with new pump and installed it my self. Just had to have a impact drill/bit and anchors from Home Depot.

My 2 post is in the pic below. Black 914 is on the lift.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2post.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	72258
    2000 XJ Sport

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vin man View Post
    I paid $1100 for mine with new pump and installed it my self. Just had to have a impact drill/bit and anchors from Home Depot.

My 2 post is in the pic below. Black 914 is on the lift.

Name:	2post.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	72258

Name:	1vzihk.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	72260

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information