Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Scissor Lift, has anybody used one?

Blog Entries

Car Scissor Lift, has anybody used one?

There are several kinds out there, from HF, to Bend pack, and a half dozen in between. Has anybody ever used one before for a sedan? I'm working on my car in my garage, and I like the idea of lifting the whole vehicle off the ground at once. but from the pictures, Not sure how stable they are. Must be enough if they keep selling them:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ift-91315.html

Thoughts? I'm going to be doing A LOT of suspension work on both my new crap box, and my wife's car, and it would nice to have all 4 corners in the air at once.

Re: Car Scissor Lift, has anybody used one?

hell no.

Never have used one like that and would never use one like that. No way I would feel safe working on a rig supported by that lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Safer than milk crates

Blog Entries

I linked to the HF one, but this is more what I'm thinking about after researching them some more:
    http://amzn.to/2fpJDy9

I would not use it to lift up a lifted vehicle, but a sedan or a mini van just high enough to get the wheels off the ground.

One of the guys in the neighborhood has something similar. He does auto repair from his home. I have never seen him have a car lifted THAT high. I would be nervous torquing suspension parts with the car up in the air like that.
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

OH my God the picture of that lift with the minivan up in the air. Such a narrow footprint on that lift, seems like it would be a death trap.
    4.0, NV4500, Atlas II, TAD Shafts, 30 spline D30/Trussed & Gusseted, Budget PSC Hydro-Assist/LetzRoll 7075 steering, Currie 9, 4.56s, ARBs, M.O.R.E Shock Towers, 6.125" SUA lift, 35" MTRK, Kilby/York OBA, Warn, Caged, Raven Armor, Fenom Fab Sliders, Geniuine China Bro Bars, Zip Ties, Duct Tape

Better than plastic ramps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Get Down With the Sickness!

I read the reviews on HF and the word 'stable' is used often. If I see my neighbor working with his I will ask him more about it.
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

As strange as it sounds, I'd be more comfortable with the first one over the second you linked to, even though it's a cheap HF tool that nobody should ever use. But then again, I'm THAT guy that lifts my harley to the top on a motorcycle jack and rolls it around the garage.

Just remember that these items are normally certified to 1.25% of their rating. So if it says 6000 lbs, it was probably tested at 7500. Doesn't mean you use it at that. Finding the center of gravity is key, and not doing so could cost you thousands of dollars and possible injury.

The second one you posted poses other questions. It has a better footprint, but will fluid transfer from one cylinder circuit to the other? If so, opening a door could cause it to tip. It may have separate check valves to prevent that, but until I know that for sure, I wouldn't use it. I operated a system with four jacks lifting up to 400K lbs and the valving was manually controlled. The potential for disaster is there.

You would be better off taking the time to use a floor jack and jack stands. Tools like the ones you linked to serve the purpose of giving our health care workers some job security.

Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
    I linked to the HF one, but this is more what I'm thinking about after researching them some more:
    http://amzn.to/2fpJDy9

I would not use it to lift up a lifted vehicle, but a sedan or a mini van just high enough to get the wheels off the ground.
    I've seen one like this used before, but the one I saw you drove up on it and it lifted the wheels/vehicle up. I would be much more comfortable with the second version, over the first one.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    I've seen one like this used before, but the one I saw you drove up on it and it lifted the wheels/vehicle up. I would be much more comfortable with the second version, over the first one.
    I think so too. I think it is better in several ways, like easier to store, it can be placed wide, and easily be put at the jack points on the vehicle (something that seems to be an issue with the HF one), it doesn't lift up as high. We'll see. I have my list of repairs to do and buying this would delay a number of things. BUT it would be so much handier, and I think I would prefer it being lifted flat, vs trying to lift it up onto 4 jack stands.

Karl ,

Get one of these
    Could get a used one installed for less than the cost of what you are looking at.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2013, JKUR, DOZER (MAC & CHEEZE), MANY UPGRADES, 35's, 31/2 Lift,

Finally figured out how to put the pictures up.

This is what you need

Now I got it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information