Thread: TNF looking at expanding wilderness areas

TNF looking at expanding wilderness areas

Heads up everyone!! Tonto National Forest is looking at expanding certain wilderness areas thoughout the forest. This could affect some popular trails, Willow Springs and Pack Saddle in the Goldfield area to name a few. Even though it would take Congress approval to have the final say, TNF has the authority to manage the "proposed areas" as wilderness as they see fit. The other disturbing issue is that TNF is only giving us till Ausust 9th to comment on this issue. So spread the word to everyone that we need to jump on this now! Here is a link for more info.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto/...d=FSEPRD552952
    2010 2 door Rubicon, 37x12.5 MTR's, Terraflex 2.5" lift, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, Smittybuilt XRC bumbers and sliders, Warn 9500 Powerplant winch, Dual tops, Hard and soft doors, Superchip, ...and the list will grow.

Re: TNF looking at expanding wilderness areas

In reading some of the literature available through the link, it looks like what they are considering right now are some changes to the process they use to determine whether or not certain lands warrant recommendation to Congress to set aside with the Wilderness designation.

I didn't see anything indicating that they were going to actually recommend new lands to Congress, just that they are considering changing the process by which they recommend new lands to Congress.

But maybe I'm just missing the details. Also, I don't know enough about it to understand what the differences are between the old process and what they are considering as the new process.

I do know that (IMHO), we don't need any more damn Wilderness areas.

Scott
    4.0, NV4500, Atlas II, TAD Shafts, 30 spline D30/Trussed & Gusseted, Budget PSC Hydro-Assist/LetzRoll 7075 steering, Currie 9, 4.56s, ARBs, M.O.R.E Shock Towers, 6.125" SUA lift, 35" MTRK, Kilby/York OBA, Warn, Caged, Raven Armor, Fenom Fab Sliders, Geniuine China Bro Bars, Zip Ties, Duct Tape

Scott, you are correct that TNF is just "considering" changing some areas to wilderness status and will maybe recommend these changes to Congress. I am saying that if we don't make some comments now during this process then TNF could make these changes and we could lose some of our favorite trails. It will be too late if we don't act now. We will have more opportunities for comment in November and maybe April 2018. I am just wanting to get ahead of things instead of trying to catch up and be too late to make or influence any changes that may come about.
    2010 2 door Rubicon, 37x12.5 MTR's, Terraflex 2.5" lift, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, Smittybuilt XRC bumbers and sliders, Warn 9500 Powerplant winch, Dual tops, Hard and soft doors, Superchip, ...and the list will grow.

TNF looking at expanding wilderness areas

If there are existing roads and a proven history of usage, it is 'currently' very tough to change it to a wilderness designation. Wonder if that's what they are going after? I'll read up and become a bit more informed.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Subscribed.

Contact your senators and representatives now! Tell them to prevent this. The land managers are finding it's easier to create wilderness than it is to manage OHV.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Some of this has to do with the new Travel Management Plan the TNF is updating. On their proposed map, they show changing Willow Springs trail and Packsaddle trail to "adminastrative use only". So there is some speculation that if that is finalized then these areas would not have open trials in them. But the TMP is a ways off from being finalized so I am not sure as to how TNF can say that these trails are not currently open and include them in a proposed wilderness area. As usual, when it comes to the government making rules and regulations, things don't always make a lot of sense.

Thread Information