Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the best 'trail' cordless impact?

Re: What's the best 'trail' cordless impact?

Milwaukee Fuel. 1100 ft./lbs its a beast. That and ingersoll rand were highest rated when I was shopping for one
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

Quote Originally Posted by Will E View Post
    Well, it occured to me that I have a compressor and 2 gallon tank in the jeep. Duh. So I tried my very old impact gun and was able to remove all 8 lugs on a wheel in about 70 seconds. I dropped the wheel lock socket so I could probably do it faster. With the compressor off I was able to get all 8 lugs back on with 90lbs still left in the tank. I did a little extra tightening with my torque wrench but I might get a torque stick. The compressor will go up to 150, I am thinking that should be enough to do trail type repairs.

So now I am thinking I just get a more compact, lighter and modern air impact and be done with it. What do you all see as the downside to using air instead of cordless? I know the pneumatic guns are a bit more compact compared to the cordless. But you have to drag the air line around and if someone else is broken down this could be a problem if you can't get close to them on the trail.

I am thinking more about trail repairs than swapping out a flat tire. My spare is tucked inside the cab and saving a few seconds on the lug nuts isn't going to make much difference overall. To get to the spare I have to unload 9 different totes, bags and such.
    You may or may not be like me, but I have used my Cordless Milwaukee on others peoples junk more than I have on my own, and if you are running in a decent sized group, you may not want to, or be able to maneuver close enough to someone to be close enough for air. Plus, you don't have to store the bulk of a hose with the impact, etc.

What ever happened to pulling the tool bag, grab the needed socket and 1/2 breaker bar? Are we really in that much of a hurry when we need to change a tire?
    I do have a tanked York, can run air tools but only carry a way to air up tires and a blow gun ( Less weight), I choose to leave the shop at home.
    Guess I like the roughing it thing somewhat maybe kinda.
    Now the ARB fridge that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by bkhjeep View Post
    What ever happened to pulling the tool bag, grab the needed socket and 1/2 breaker bar? Are we really in that much of a hurry when we need to change a tire?
    I do have a tanked York, can run air tools but only carry a way to air up tires and a blow gun ( Less weight), I choose to leave the shop at home.
    Guess I like the roughing it thing somewhat maybe kinda.
    Now the ARB fridge that's another story.
    That was my opinion until the first time I carried one on the trial and had to use it, and I can get to all of my socket wrenches in under 10 seconds. It is really nice being able to do it that quickly. Plus, my scissor jack has a lug nut on it, so I hack up the Jeep with the impact as well.
    07 JKU, Teraflex Dana 60 Front/ 14 Bolt Rear, ARBs, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock, Teraflex Long Arm, 5 screaming children, 430hp LS3 Engine swap completed. ENGINE SWAP THREAD LINK HERE Cage, Coilovers, and 14 Bolt swap NEW FULL CAGE, THIRD ROW, COILOVERS, 14 BOLT SWAP THREAD HERE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information