Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best 'trail' cordless impact?

What's the best 'trail' cordless impact?

On a recent trail ride I got to use a cordless impact. It was super handy and much easier than trying to use a socket and breaker bar in an awkward position.
    So I am thinking of adding one to carry on the trail.
    Compact design for the head unit is probably a plus so I can get it into tight spaces.
    Battery life isn't as much of a concern, it will be used to do trail repairs and perhaps the occassional tire change, so it doesn't have to last for hours or anything.
    It would be preferable if the battery would hold a charge for a long time sitting in it's case.

Who has experience with these? Any brand/models I should avoid?
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

Re: What's the best 'trail' cordless impact?

Milwaukee Fuel is what I carry. Brushless design makes the batteries last a long time.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

I'll second the Milwaukee, though these days buying a power tool is as much what color do you like as it is anything else. I've got an M12 3/8 impact wrench and it will get lug nuts off no problem. It's not instant like an air gun or a big 18V tool, but it will do it.

My snapon half inch is awesome and with 700 ft-lbs of torque nothing is impossible, or even especially hard.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What's the best 'trail' cordless impact?

I use and carry a Milwaukee fuel 18v brushless. It's the high torque model (there are two different ones) with 700/1100 ft.lbs. of torque. I also carry a matching LED shop light. They both use 5 amp/hr. batteries. Having battery life is a good thing. You never know when you are going to need it for more than just lugs. Have a few friends that carry a DeWalt impact and they like it.
    Won't wheel without one, any longer and have no idea why I waited as long as I did to buy it.
    If you are looking for where to buy, I recommend a package that you can only get from Northern tool. It's a smoking deal and I've recommended it's purchase, countless times.
    http://m.northerntool.com/products/s...rce=Google_PLA

(A real bonus is the no tax, free shipping and delivery to your door)
    Last edited by Huck; 07-31-2017 at 09:50 AM.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Just wheel with Huck!
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

Milwaukee fuel 18V FTW
    RIP The Tetanus Shot

I have used the Milwaukee, DeWalt, and Ridgid. The Milwaukee is by far the best one, but cost more. The High torque model can and will break bolts off. The Ridgid is a decent one, good for budget minded and it will break free lug nuts (I use this at work on a daily basis and it does a decent job). The DeWalt was the worst. I could never get it to break lug nuts off, too me it was just a step over the 1/4" impact driver in my opinion.

Or you could try Harbor Freights EarthquakeXT, they are claiming 1200ft lbs.
    2013 JKU RUBICON 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION: Wife's DD
    2003 TJ Rubicon: Trailer queen
    1990 XJ: Somewhere in Mesa

I use the rigid only cuz of the warranty!
    Brushless is the only way to go!
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

ive used the dewalt 18v one for years now. works well.

Milwaukee fuel
    New #6312 buggy under way .. -Kaos Krawlers- LetzRoll Offroad Racing #. JM Rigging Supply, Catsonly Muffler

I use a Milwaukee fuel 18v and it is amazing. The difference between it and the non-fuel version is pretty stunning, as I have both. I carry 2 batteries as I have modified an H1 scissor jack with a lugnut on the end so I use the impact to jack up the jeep. It takes like 10 seconds.
    07 JKU, Teraflex Dana 60 Front/ 14 Bolt Rear, ARBs, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock, Teraflex Long Arm, 5 screaming children, 430hp LS3 Engine swap completed. ENGINE SWAP THREAD LINK HERE Cage, Coilovers, and 14 Bolt swap NEW FULL CAGE, THIRD ROW, COILOVERS, 14 BOLT SWAP THREAD HERE

Well, it occured to me that I have a compressor and 2 gallon tank in the jeep. Duh. So I tried my very old impact gun and was able to remove all 8 lugs on a wheel in about 70 seconds. I dropped the wheel lock socket so I could probably do it faster. With the compressor off I was able to get all 8 lugs back on with 90lbs still left in the tank. I did a little extra tightening with my torque wrench but I might get a torque stick. The compressor will go up to 150, I am thinking that should be enough to do trail type repairs.

So now I am thinking I just get a more compact, lighter and modern air impact and be done with it. What do you all see as the downside to using air instead of cordless? I know the pneumatic guns are a bit more compact compared to the cordless. But you have to drag the air line around and if someone else is broken down this could be a problem if you can't get close to them on the trail.

I am thinking more about trail repairs than swapping out a flat tire. My spare is tucked inside the cab and saving a few seconds on the lug nuts isn't going to make much difference overall. To get to the spare I have to unload 9 different totes, bags and such.
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

Quote Originally Posted by Will E View Post
    To get to the spare I have to unload the spare Jeep I bring in my Jeep when I Jeep.
    Fixed it for you!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Thanks to this thread, I bought a Milwaukee m18. been using it to work on my car, and its super handy, and has spread up the process significantly. I have a plug in impact driver that is more powerful, but its HUGE, and a total pain to use, vs this being super small and light, and easy to get into places where I couldn't reach before. Thanks for the suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information