Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Offroad trailer build (on 40's of course)

Offroad trailer build (on 40's of course)

So I am just starting a build for my new trailer. I ordered most of the hard parts today. The steel I will wait another couple weeks until it is cooler.

The generic outline of the building is going to be as follows:
    8x6.5 wheels
    40” tires to match my Jeep
    Timbren axles with Electric brakes, and manual parking brake
    Receiver tube all the way from front to back to allow towing through trailer
    CJ7 Tailgate with the Jeep logo.
    Lid on hydraulics with rack on it.
    Removable rack above the lid
    Max Coupler receiver and hitch

Here are the tires.

Name:  tires.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  96.7 KB

I intend to do the frame something like this

Name:  framework010.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  76.2 KB

I expect it to turn out looking something like this.

Name:  offroad-trailer.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  92.7 KB
    Last edited by Keith B.; 07-13-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    07 JKU, Teraflex Dana 60 Front/ 14 Bolt Rear, ARBs, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock, Teraflex Long Arm, 5 screaming children, 430hp LS3 Engine swap completed. ENGINE SWAP THREAD LINK HERE Cage, Coilovers, and 14 Bolt swap NEW FULL CAGE, THIRD ROW, COILOVERS, 14 BOLT SWAP THREAD HERE

Re: Offroad trailer build (on 40's of course)

Maybe it's my computer but the last 2 pics didn't come through. Just the tire pic.
    37's,locked,5.38's,6" lift,4:1tcase,winch,caged

Quote Originally Posted by 4WH33LN View Post
    Maybe it's my computer but the last 2 pics didn't come through. Just the tire pic.
    Fixed
    07 JKU, Teraflex Dana 60 Front/ 14 Bolt Rear, ARBs, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock, Teraflex Long Arm, 5 screaming children, 430hp LS3 Engine swap completed. ENGINE SWAP THREAD LINK HERE Cage, Coilovers, and 14 Bolt swap NEW FULL CAGE, THIRD ROW, COILOVERS, 14 BOLT SWAP THREAD HERE

That'll be big enough for all the kids? Lol
    You'll have a good time building that!
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

Very interested to watch this come together.... I just built one myself few months ago. No where near done, but it's usable until I finish it with a tent and such

That is very similar to what I am going to build. Nice job. I just received a lot of the parts yesterday. Still too hot outside to really start, but I am drawing it out.

Interested in seeing how this comes together. Good things Keith! Also, congrats on your quote in the AZ Republic article yesterday. I was like hey I know that guy!

Scott
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

I was discussing tire size with Turtleback Trailers here in Phoenix and about the ability to run the same tire/wheel as was on my Jeep. The consideration I wasn't aware of with their pullout kitchen is the fact that you would have to be 6' 5" to easily use the kitchen with 40" tires, they said I would be on the fringe with 37's as I'm 6' 1", but recommended 35's. Their smaller trailers don't have a pull-out kitchen so it wouldn't matter then.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Quote Originally Posted by aribelin View Post
    I was discussing tire size with Turtleback Trailers here in Phoenix and about the ability to run the same tire/wheel as was on my Jeep. The consideration I wasn't aware of with their pullout kitchen is the fact that you would have to be 6' 5" to easily use the kitchen with 40" tires, they said I would be on the fringe with 37's as I'm 6' 1", but recommended 35's. Their smaller trailers don't have a pull-out kitchen so it wouldn't matter then.
    Mine is just going to be a box with a lid, so I don't care on that. I really just wanted useable spares. I didn't want to buy three new tires I couldnt use on my jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by aribelin View Post
    The Turtleback ones are awesome.

Bad ***. I cant wait to see the build
    Craigslisticon

Parts started coming in. Got the cj7 tailgate and the axles and brakes. These timbren axles are heavy duty.

My helper wanted to pose with the parts

Love those Timbren axles. Used them on my trailer 3 or 4 years ago. They also make the 3,500# axles with 2,000# cushions. Beefy strong axles with a softer ride.
    Burn it and beat on it

Quote Originally Posted by Tortured Metal View Post
    Love those Timbren axles. Used them on my trailer 3 or 4 years ago. They also make the 3,500# axles with 2,000# cushions. Beefy strong axles with a softer ride.
    Damn, wish I would have know that earlier. Thanks for the tip, I might try and get replacement pads if it is too harsh.

I don't know if you saw my build thread two to three years ago on my trailer build but this shows how I mounted the Timbren axles. You might find some other useful info as well.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...ild&highlight=

Never mind, just checked that thread and saw that you were there a couple of months ago. The trick with the 40's will be tire pressure, like really low, and monitor heat build up and tread wear to find the sweet spot. But I am guessing that it is going to be in the teens.
    Last edited by Tortured Metal; 08-08-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    Burn it and beat on it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information