Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Offroad trailer build (on 40's of course)

Re: Offroad trailer build (on 40's of course)

What suspension are you going to use?
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    What suspension are you going to use?
    Those Timbren axles have the suspension built in.

You can change the pads based on weight, so I might down the road. They are really common with the offroad trailer builders. The reason I used those is that I could make the width exact, to match my JK.
    07 JKU, Teraflex Dana 60 Front/ 14 Bolt Rear, ARBs, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock, Teraflex Long Arm, 5 screaming children, 430hp LS3 Engine swap completed. ENGINE SWAP THREAD LINK HERE Cage, Coilovers, and 14 Bolt swap NEW FULL CAGE, THIRD ROW, COILOVERS, 14 BOLT SWAP THREAD HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B. View Post
    Those Timbren axles have the suspension built in.

You can change the pads based on weight, so I might down the road. They are really common with the offroad trailer builders. The reason I used those is that I could make the width exact, to match my JK.
    Wow, that is pretty cool. I was half expecting to see leaf springs

Scott
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Blog Entries

Looking awesome so far!

97 Cherokee with NP242 T-Case/skid plate, front/rear skid plates, tow package, RC 4.5" LA lift, front locker,trussed 8.8,410s, dual steering stabilizer on 33x12.5 mud claws with 15x10 rims. Custom rock sliders, rugged ridge fender flares, & 9k lumen light bar.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    Wow, that is pretty cool. I was half expecting to see leaf springs

Scott
    Leaf springs........What is this 1985???? My original idea was separate suspension arms with mini-coilovers, but that got a little ridiculous. These things are pretty cool.
    07 JKU, Teraflex Dana 60 Front/ 14 Bolt Rear, ARBs, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock, Teraflex Long Arm, 5 screaming children, 430hp LS3 Engine swap completed. ENGINE SWAP THREAD LINK HERE Cage, Coilovers, and 14 Bolt swap NEW FULL CAGE, THIRD ROW, COILOVERS, 14 BOLT SWAP THREAD HERE

I started on the lid today.

I used another piece of 1.5 square for the base of the lid, and clamped it to the tub so it would be square.

Then I made a template for the lid rood so I could clamp the pieces to it when I welded them so it would be pretty close to the same every time.

Then I made all five cross pieces. They came out pretty good.

I also made the backing plate for the tire carrier. I used a little bigger drill bit then needed for the holes. I then bolted it to the wheel and tacked it together. This way the holes all lined up exactly.

Last edited by Keith B.; 12-31-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Finished welding up the lid today and then started on the fenders. Like the lid, I made a jig to weld the fender pieces.

They came out pretty good. Next I am going to weld on the hinges for the lid, after I add the remaining supports.

You going to start on mine next?
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Quote Originally Posted by aribelin View Post
    You going to start on mine next?
    I'll just paint one side blue and one side orange and we can share it.

Are you going to have enough wheel travel? From the photos it doesn't appear there is much clearance between the tires and the fender frame. Fully loaded I would think it is going to hit. Maybe just the perspective making it look that way.

Remember to leave a little more clearance at the back than at the front as that suspension travels in an arc, not strictly vertical travel.
    Burn it and beat on it

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B. View Post
    I'll just paint one side blue and one side orange and we can share it.
    That could work.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Quote Originally Posted by Tortured Metal View Post
    Are you going to have enough wheel travel? From the photos it doesn't appear there is much clearance between the tires and the fender frame. Fully loaded I would think it is going to hit. Maybe just the perspective making it look that way.

Remember to leave a little more clearance at the back than at the front as that suspension travels in an arc, not strictly vertical travel.
    It is the angle of the picture that is misleading. I will post a better one when I get home. There is no less than 4 inches in any direction. And according to Timbren's website, they wont compress more that 2.5 inches, at the rear which gives me around 2" minimum clearance when compressed. When I calculated it all out I thought I would have more space above the wheel, but it turns out my fenders but right up against the top of the support for the tub.

Looking really good! Fab skills!
    Burn it and beat on it

So I got more done on this today. I welded on the hinges, and then added the gas struts.

Here it is open

Here are the struts.

I also added the roof rack. I bought a rack with an extension and then welded it together.

I wanted it removable, or so that I could add a different rack, so I used tabs on the cross pieces, and then bolted it on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information